DNA tests are "troubling" for Turks. They are not from East Asia.

MicroBrew

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
NOTE: have quoted select paragraphs, not the whole article

Popular DNA tests are troubling Turks and shaking belief in their “Turkishness” as they find that, instead of being direct descendants of the Seljuk and Ottoman hordes who surged into Anatolia from Central Asia a millennium ago, they are instead part of the kaleidoscope of peoples who have lived in what is now modern Turkey and migrated there since time began.

Issues such as what had happened to the survivors of the 1915 Armenian genocide and the presence of thousands of Greeks and Jews, but also millions of Kurdish citizens of the new republic were swept aside in often heavy-handed attempts to assimilate minorities or pressure them to leave the country altogether.

She said her family, from the northeastern province of Bayburt, had refused to believe that they had had Armenian, Italian and Greek links. “I told them the test was scientific, but they did not even want to listen,” she said.

Historians say that as the mass killings and deportations gathered pace, many young Armenian women were taken by local Turks and Kurds, or handed over by their families in order to save their lives, and that they then changed their religion and hid their roots.

“Before this test, we believed that Bayburt had only Turks. But people get married, they change religions voluntarily, or by force, they mix. Maybe my grandmother knew about it, but did not want to say because of social pressure,” Çelik said.

The reaction of Çelik’s family is similar to many. A 2012 book by Fethiye Çetin, a lawyer, tells the story of how she discovered her grandmother’s hidden identity and sparked a big debate about the Islamisation of non-Muslims. Another book named “The Grandchildren”, which Çetin wrote with academic Ayşe Gül Altınay, provides a collection of intimate, harrowing testimonies by the grandchildren and great-grandchildren of what are known as the forgotten Armenians.

A report in the journal Annals of Human Genetics in 2012 indicated the paternal ancestry of those living in Turkey was 38 percent European, 35 percent Middle Eastern, 18 percent South Asian and only 9 percent Central Asian. But DNA tests sometimes throw up even more surprising results

https://ahvalnews.com/turks/dna-based-tests-shake-turks-beliefs-their-turkishness

--

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...enerlogy-family-trees-ethnicity-a8234346.html

Only in Turkey is the identity of a citizen a matter of national security. That’s why the population registry in Ankara was until now a closed book, its details a state secret. Mustafa Kemal Ataturk’s definition of “Turkishness” was “anyone who is attached to the Turkish state as a citizen”. Turks came from a clear ethnic identity, untainted by racial minorities or doubtful lineage. That’s one reason why the Nazis lavished praise on Ataturk’s republic, their newspapers mourning his death in black-bordered front pages.

Rather a lot of Turks, it turned out, were actually Armenians – or part-Armenians – or even partly Greek or Jewish

Just think: you think you are a red-blooded Turk but turn out to be a pure-blood Armenian.”

Lots of folks are interested in genetics , history of peoples, human migrations etc.. The world's most prestigious Universities have been analysing ancient and modern DNA for decades now. Pretty much every race or ethnic group has been genotyped.

Sure, I quite enjoy history and all of that myself.

However, having an identity crisis because people from 15 generations ago came from someplace slightly different, is just silly.

Lots of folks are interested in genetics , history of peoples, human migrations etc.. The world's most prestigious Universities have been analysing ancient and modern DNA for decades now. Pretty much every race or ethnic group has been genotyped.
It's a way to discover the secrets of history that weren't written and preserved, which is the majority. I personally find it fascinating.

Meant to post this thread in Mayberry, and accidentally posted here . Can a Mod please move it? @panamaican @Ruprecht

Thanks

Last edited:

However, having an identity crisis because people from 15 generations ago came from someplace slightly different, is just silly.
If more Turks are comfortable with their roots or embrace it, it might lessen their antagonism towards Greeks and Armenians.

Or, they could join modern society and stop caring about insignificant matters.
Turkey is still denying the Armenian genocide. Turkish government and Nationalists hate Greece . This is contemporary attitudes.

When DNA tests were done on Lebanese it was hoped that the genetic relatedness of Sunni, Shia and Christian Lebanese would make Lebanese come together and some of the ethnic/sectarian hatreds would disappear.

Well everyone knows this pretty much

turkey has attempted to rewrite their history books - it’s quite ridiculous and they renounce any science or history as propaganda

turkey during ottoman times had a policy of “europeanizing “ their race and raced countless Bulgarian , Greek , and Armenian kids as Turks

This has been known for a while. Since the mid 20th century racial scientists identified them as Armenoids or Mediterraneans. Depending on how you wish to classify them.

But yes as I said in the other thread. They are amusing they are subracially the same as their neighbors yet persecute them and claim themselves to be entirely different unique roots yet arent. Speak an asiatic mongoloid religion yet arent mongoloids or much admixed with any real degree of mongoloid blood. Worship an Arab centric and semi supremacist religion yet arent arabs subracially or linguistically. Tries to lead the Muslim world but is told by the Arab states they wont ever follow non Arab leaders since they birthed Islam and it belongs to them.

Last edited:
Not as troubling as for Montenegrins though.

Ironically Serb-Montenegrins descended from Brdani tribes who are known to be amongst the most nationalist Serbs score a high rate in E-V13 (The most dominant haplogroup amongst Albanians)

Although it reaches a solid amount throughout Europe , E-V13 reaches its peak in the Balkans amongst Greeks and Albanians (Indigenous Paleo Balkan people) while reaches its lowest (although still solid numbers) amongst South Slavs (7th century immigrants)

Well your talking about issues that are very politically significant in Turkey to this day, Turkish ethic nationalism, Kurdish separatism, lack of acknowledgement of the Armenian genocide, antagonism with Greece, etc.

Well your talking about issues that are very politically significant in Turkey to this day, Turkish ethic nationalism, Kurdish separatism, lack of acknowledgement of the Armenian genocide, antagonism with Greece, etc.

This is exactly my point, this shit should not be politically significant. They should spend more time worrying about how to succeed in modern society.

Well everyone knows this pretty much

turkey has attempted to rewrite their history books - it’s quite ridiculous and they renounce any science or history as propaganda
They tried to eraze Kurdish identity; Kurds were called "Mountain Turks" by the Turkish state, and since the founding of the Turkish state the Kurdish language was defacto criminalized. They eased up on it in the late 2009s I think and allowed Kurdish to be taught but more recently Erdogan has been repressing Kurdish language institutes. Giving children Kurdish names was banned for a long time.

Back