Do we need any more proof that punching power is upper body and tendons?

TheMaster

Take The Road To Reality
@red
Reaction score
Arguably hardest one punch KO artist in HW boxing history.

207 Ibs with real matchstick legs, barely definable calves and thin thighs.
IMG_20210428_190420.jpg

Another famous power puncher notable upper body and skinny legs.
Jack-Dempsey.jpg

Punch power is primarily upper body and tendons.
Bone density plays a part, coordination and technique also obviously a factor.

207 Ibs with real matchstick legs, barely definable calves and thin thighs.
View attachment 850719

Another famous power puncher notable upper body and skinny legs.
View attachment 850720

Punch power is primarily upper body and tendons.
Bone density plays a part, coordination and technique also obviously a factor.
I would say tendons, coordination and technique play very little role on Wilder's impressive KO ratio.

Bone density, sure he obviously has a lot of weight behind his punches which you would expect of a guy of his size and weight. even with his stick legs, his arm swings manage to get his bodyweight behind them like some kind of medieval morning star weapon.
His impressive KO streak is also supplemented by the fact that he's clearly more of a fighter/warrior/thug than the guys he fights and usually a foot taller fighting guys who were ranked perfectly for someone like him
https%3A%2F%2Fs3-images.sportbible.com%2Fs3%2Fcontent%2Facc334275e5e170fbb83b50b4bd74e0c.jpg

After he fought Malik Scott (pictured with him) who was a respectable 36-1 at the time he went on to fight Jason Gavern who boasted 25 wins 16 losses (10 by KO)
In fact the only opponents he fought so far who were worth their weight in McDonalds big macs were Tyson Fury (who he lost against twice IMO) and Luis Ortiz who was two steps from the retirement home and had spent years crying about how everyone was scared of him despite never fighting anyone of note.
Wilder definitely has power, but he also fought guys who had about as much boxing talent as @spacetime when you have nothing to fear from your opponents knockouts are bound to happen.
A guy like GGG is a better example of what you're trying to demonstrate here in my opinion.

Well because they aren’t exactly throwing shoulder punches. If you kept their lower body still and didn’t allow them to pivot their power goes way down.

Well because they aren’t exactly throwing shoulder punches. If you kept their lower body still and didn’t allow them to pivot their power goes way down.
I mean your not wrong but like, If you say that you may as well say people in wheel chairs can't fight as well as people with working legs.

I mean your not wrong but like, If you say that you may as well say people in wheel chairs can't fight as well as people with working legs.

Just pointing out while upper body strength plays a part I don’t want some new guy here to take that concept and run with it. Generating power from the lower chain first through technique is the best way to get power into a punch.

I would say tendons, coordination and technique play very little role on Wilder's impressive KO ratio.

Bone density, sure he obviously has a lot of weight behind his punches which you would expect of a guy of his size and weight. even with his stick legs, his arm swings manage to get his bodyweight behind them like some kind of medieval morning star weapon.
His impressive KO streak is also supplemented by the fact that he's clearly more of a fighter/warrior/thug than the guys he fights and usually a foot taller fighting guys who were ranked perfectly for someone like him
https%3A%2F%2Fs3-images.sportbible.com%2Fs3%2Fcontent%2Facc334275e5e170fbb83b50b4bd74e0c.jpg

After he fought Malik Scott (pictured with him) who was a respectable 36-1 at the time he went on to fight Jason Gavern who boasted 25 wins 16 losses (10 by KO)
In fact the only opponents he fought so far who were worth their weight in McDonalds big macs were Tyson Fury (who he lost against twice IMO) and Luis Ortiz who was two steps from the retirement home and had spent years crying about how everyone was scared of him despite never fighting anyone of note.
Wilder definitely has power, but he also fought guys who had about as much boxing talent as @spacetime when you have nothing to fear from your opponents knockouts are bound to happen.
A guy like GGG is a better example of what you're trying to demonstrate here in my opinion.

The case you make about quality of his opponents glosses over the fact he rendered Fury like this
IMG_20210428_212458.jpg
Eyes rolled up in back of skull even though he showed amazing recovery and woke back up to beat the count.

Also Wilder has good technique for hitting hard i.e using his tendon power and coordination to swing with maximum velocity. Poor boxing form from a technical perspective but for purely power generation hard to argue with it.

It's fast twice muscle fiber, not upperbody. Those who are slow twitch have to slugg people to death half a dozen times... Fast twitchers can end it with one stroke.

Power is acceleration times mass.

The case you make about quality of his opponents glosses over the fact he rendered Fury like this
View attachment 850751
Eyes rolled up in back of skull even though he showed amazing recovery and woke back up to beat the count.

Also Wilder has good technique for hitting hard i.e using his tendon power and coordination to swing with maximum velocity. Poor boxing form from a technical perspective but for purely power generation hard to argue with it.

He punches very fast and puts his body behind it. Most HWs are much slower, hence why they don't knock out people like he does

Same with Ngannou. He swings like crazy but he's so fast for his weight.

Tendons is bullshit. Look at wilders wrists. Or Hearns or Jackson. Or Sherdog legend Spacetime.

Wilders hands and bones are petite compared to Fury who doesn't punch anywhere near as hard.

Yeah, get Nobel prize in physics and then we will consider further arguments.
Especially if bearing in mind that a lot ppl here had learned body mechanics above HS level.

Speed is power. To be fair Wilder only has one punch that is impressive. What's more impressive to me is a guy like George Foreman who was slower then shit but every punch from short to long was hard as hell.main-qimg-f366d6d8a662e78412e2b732584c01bf (1).jpg

You always know its a "TheMaster" thread when possibly interesting topics get reduced into provocative closed arguments and zero ability to reflect anyones opinion beside his own ego.

A knockdown is proof of being the "biggest puncher in history". <Lmaoo><Lmaoo>

View attachment 850751

He hurt fury once or twice in 12 rounds. I wouldn't exactly call that a success story though. The knockdown was impressive, but ultimately did nothing except get him an undeserved draw.
And the second fight went like this after Wilder said Fury had no power and couldn't hurt him in the aftermath of the first fight. So either Wilders power ran out or he simply ran out of luck.
When you throw 200 full power shots with absolutely shocking technique, some of them are bound to land. I wouldn't exactly be running out to tell everyone that flailing like a madman is the blueprint for boxing.
42a8a525227bf3c4e7c9deb9f08ffd50

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back