Do you guys give credit to "manufactured" artists who don't write their own music?

The biggest names in music. Micheal Jackson, Mariah Carey, Madonna, Beyonce, backstreet boys, Elvis, the list goes on...

They have teams of people making their music, writing the lyrics, teaching them dance moves, marketing, etc.

We all know the names, but what exactly do we give them credit for if they didn't come up not only with their biggest hits, but ALL their songs and music videos, even when and where they make public apperances, what to say to the public, being coached on what to say when accepting the awards

I thought Madonna wrote some of her songs or co-wrote some of them.

You really can work out who the decent artists are when you go to a show. Gosh damn hurry up June 15th!

Seeing bands live has flipped me on them. Good or bad, sometimes it's just a bad set, and that takes some coming back from.

Seeing bands live has flipped me on them. Good or bad, sometimes it's just a bad set, and that takes some coming back from.
I know I was unlucky all 3 times but Deftones, I've never been to a good set from them. Which is tragic because I really do like them, I just know all 3 times Chino just had a really off day.

The unsung hero of pop music

Max_Martin.jpg

Swedes are elite

He’s got an Incredible ear for music and melody and is a passable lyricist. Part of me wonders what he’d be able to accomplish if he used his powers to make his own music instead of bubblegum pop. It’s kind of a compliment that I even entertain the thought of him as being a waste of talent.

Of course. I'm not gonna give michael jackson credit because someone else wrote BAD?

People compare these guys to some kind of mythical creature that does literally everything themselves to get the credit. Like he needs to build the stage hes performing on too. It always takes other people and teams to help you create something that epic.

It's like the criticism of steve jobs and elon musk. "They didn't build those things themselves they hired people to do it" yea no shit...

Its mostly petty nitpicking, another way to tear down someone who found success. Its human nature really.
M.J. did write Bad, though. Not just the song, but almost all of the album.

IMO, Hendrix's guitar skills and overall musicality were far superior to Dylan's. And Hendrix even had a slightly better singing voice. Dylan's songwriting ability and longevity gives him a greater body of work and legacy, but Jimi was the better talent by a long shot.

Yeah Hendrix was the better guitar player, but IMO we dont need to be comparing them like this "theres only room for one" mentality or whatever that is going on here

Dylan had a way different style than Hendrix, yes Hendrix could play electric guitar better, Dylan could do acoustic folk w/harmonica better, its fine, theres room for both

I know I was unlucky all 3 times but Deftones, I've never been to a good set from them. Which is tragic because I really do like them, I just know all 3 times Chino just had a really off day.

Yeah Deftones didn't impress when I saw them live

Jascha Heifetz didn't write the music he played, and he's probably the greatest musical artist of the 20th century

Yeah Hendrix was the better guitar player, but IMO we dont need to be comparing them like this "theres only room for one" mentality or whatever that is going on here

Dylan had a way different style than Hendrix, yes Hendrix could play electric guitar better, Dylan could do acoustic folk w/harmonica better, its fine, theres room for both
I didn't intend to suggest otherwise, was just giving a comprehensive opinion of their respective talents.

It does take talent to do what they do. But we have to be reminded, these people aren't writers/creators.

I respect artists who can play/sing and write their own music way more.

They have teams of vocal coaches teaching them how to sing and hit those special notes and expert dancers teaching them how to dance and even how to act

Yeah this is called "learning".

If your baseline for artistic talent is "never took lessons" then your list is going to be pretty short.

Michael and Elvis had a hand in the song writing process, not really the same. Even when songs were written for Elvis he tuned them to his specific style. Michael co-wrote most of his music. They are closer to Elton John in this respect than to a Justin Timberlake or Katy Perry.

Michael and Elvis had a hand in the song writing process, not really the same. Even when songs were written for Elvis he tuned them to his specific style. Michael co-wrote most of his music. They are closer to Elton John in this respect than to a Justin Timberlake or Katy Perry.

Exactly. Elvis had an ingenious way of taking a song, reimagining it with a totally different arrangement & making it his own. Sure, the lyrics are the same but in most cases, the interpretation was very different. He could take the dirtiest ditty & turn it into the sweetest love song & then turn around & take a bland clean song & make it all about sex. Like he did here with this number:

musical performance is an art, yes they are artists

Back