Do you prefer Boxing to MMA?

I love both sports.
There is plenty of room for both and I like watching great fights.

That said, there is something special about a BIG boxing fight.

I love boxing history and I geek out watching documentaries about great boxers through the generations. And when I watch a huge fight live I feel like I am watching history. Like one day when I’m an (even older) old geezer I’ll see a YouTube type film about Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder and be able to say “I remember where I was for that fight” like I do now for Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis title fights.

I’m pumped about Yoel vs Israel tonight. There is a “matchup of styles” element to mMA that really makes it interesting to analyze. In boxing even if two guys have different styles they are both trying to punch the other guy in the face while standing up, in MMA it can get really interesting to try to break down how the different approaches to fighting will play out against each other.

It’s a good time to be a fight fan.

exactly that dude. I don’t understand the competition between the fans. It’s fckin easy to enjoy both. Boxing will always be my first love, ive been watching and training since nigel benn, as he got me in to the sport. But I probably watch more MMA because there are generally better matchups

Yes an MMA fighter would destroy a Boxer in a one on one fight

whats your definition of always?

Jimi had no combat background and trained MMA for max. 3 days and KOd an MMA fighter.

<{vega}>

whats your definition of always?

Jimi had no combat background and trained MMA for max. 3 days and KOd an MMA fighter.

<{vega}>
What's my definition of 'always'? What a strange question, why do you ask, I never used the word always...

I love both sports.

There is plenty of room for both and I like watching great fights.

That said, there is something special about a BIG boxing fight.

I love boxing history and I geek out watching documentaries about great boxers through the generations. And when I watch a huge fight live I feel like I am watching history. Like one day when I’m an (even older) old geezer I’ll see a YouTube type film about Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder and be able to say “I remember where I was for that fight” like I do now for Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis title fights.

I’m pumped about Yoel vs Israel tonight. There is a “matchup of styles” element to mMA that really makes it interesting to analyze. In boxing even if two guys have different styles they are both trying to punch the other guy in the face while standing up, in MMA it can get really interesting to try to break down how the different approaches to fighting will play out against each other.

It’s a good time to be a fight fan.

I agree completely, I am especially pumped for Khabib vs Tony although tonight’s match is pretty cool as well

I agree completely, I am especially pumped for Khabib vs Tony although tonight’s match is pretty cool as well
Who do you have in Khabib vs Tony?

I wrote a pretty detailed breakdown for that matchup which I will post in the heavies fight week.

I’d love to see Tony win but I think it will be very hard for him to pull it off. His wild style and occasional off balance attacks coupled with Khabib’s chain wrestling and takedowns from the bodylock seem like a recipe for side control, where Tony’s BJJ will likely not be much of an offensive threat.

If tony fights how he normally fights, I think he gets mauled and stopped late.

Now... if... and this is a big if, if Tony can follow a game plan to control the distance with his jab, circle out and avoid being backed to the cage, and really push a pace and make Khabib work, stuffing his takedown attempts (he 100% has to get underhooks or establish a strong frame before Khabib can get his arms connected or he is going for a ride) and punishing him in the process- and he can get Khabib tired enough to have to pause his attempts to take it to the ground, I think Tony can KO Khabib standing.

Tony has heavy hands and Khabib has technical flaws in his striking which he gets away with because people are constantly worried about being taken down. If Tony can keep it standing and get to a point where he is in control and reasonably sure that he can let his hands go, then he can win there, especially if he can get on top of Khabib after a knockdown or takedown.

The only way I see that happening is if Tony gets Khabib TIRED. I think Khabib was tired round 3 against Conor and round 4 against Raging Al but neither man had the skills or gas tank to punish him while Khabib was, in my opinion, taking the round off to rest. Tony should have the gas tank, speed, striking skills and power to capitalize.

Tomorrow is a good day to get back into it. I saw some highlights of Adesanya and he pulls off moves that are typically limited to being seen only in martial arts demos
Oh dear. I guess I chose the wrong time to watch Adesanya, that was a real stinker of a fight. Mostly because his opponent was so negative. I watched the HL's of Adsenya and the guy clearly has talent but he didn't exactly look that special against Romero. I think this is why I prefer boxing.

Oh dear. I guess I chose the wrong time to watch Adesanya, that was a real stinker of a fight. Mostly because his opponent was so negative. I watched the HL's of Adsenya and the guy clearly has talent but he didn't exactly look that special against Romero. I think this is why I prefer boxing.

Sorry buddy. That main event was awful. Adesanya stunk it up big time.. But did you get a chance to watch the co-main event? That was actually one of the best fights in both men's and women's MMA history. It was just as tense and action packed and dramatic as any other classic boxing or MMA fight. It will definitely be a FOTY contender.

Boxing has always been my sport.
That said, for a while there, during the Pride era, I was a pretty big MMA fan. Loved K1 too. MMA got boring to me when everyone started fighting the same way. Once the dramatic contrast of BJJ guy vs wrestler vs striker went away, the sport got kind of boring.
Amen. PrideFC with knees, kicks and stomps to a downed opponent, 10-minute first round, and the one thing the UFC fucked up by not adopting once they acquired PrideFC, the yellow card for lack of action! Plus, their shows were just such a spectacle as well. I even liked the screaming lady intros.
Greg Jackson ruined MMA. There, I said it. Point-fighting in lieu of constantly going for finishes, like they used to.
I can appreciate wrestling if it is to position your man to punch him, but not for "ground control". And BJJ, if someone is active and very good and constantly looking to slap a fight-ending hold (think younger Nick Diaz on the ground) on their opponent, even to the point of forcing them to their feet to escape that danger, that's pretty cool, too.

Sorry buddy. That main event was awful. Adesanya stunk it up big time.. But did you get a chance to watch the co-main event? That was actually one of the best fights in both men's and women's MMA history. It was just as tense and action packed and dramatic as any other classic boxing or MMA fight. It will definitely be a FOTY contender.
No I didn't watch it. But I'll check it out.

Boxing. Tbh I don't watch both as much as I used too. MMA has become extremely boring to me, but still I get a PPV every now and then.

Last night's one was GARBAGE. Sorry i don't like women fights, the main event was LOL horrible.

Because I do... Its weird, im a fan of both sports but there is something about the aesthetis of boxing that I love more so than MMA. MMA is closer to real fighting but i still enjoy boxing more

anyone else have similar feelings and why?

Nothing against mma at all, but I love boxing way more. It cannot even be compared imo.

I train boxing, I grew up with it, the sport is so refined and has such a history, the masters, the footwork, the technique, the trickery, the enormous competition, the old school gyms that smell like sweaty ballsacks where everyone is equal, the discipline, less gore than mma, no fighting when someone is on the ground, etc, etc

Amen. PrideFC with knees, kicks and stomps to a downed opponent, 10-minute first round, and the one thing the UFC fucked up by not adopting once they acquired PrideFC, the yellow card for lack of action! Plus, their shows were just such a spectacle as well. I even liked the screaming lady intros.
Greg Jackson ruined MMA. There, I said it. Point-fighting in lieu of constantly going for finishes, like they used to.
I can appreciate wrestling if it is to position your man to punch him, but not for "ground control". And BJJ, if someone is active and very good and constantly looking to slap a fight-ending hold (think younger Nick Diaz on the ground) on their opponent, even to the point of forcing them to their feet to escape that danger, that's pretty cool, too.
I really liked Nick Diaz before he started training striking at a whack-a-mole table.
Those fights with Karo Parysian and Diego Sanchez were great.

I really liked Nick Diaz before he started training striking at a whack-a-mole table.
Those fights with Karo Parysian and Diego Sanchez were great.
Pride33 with Gomi, even? Pride33 The Second Coming is one of the greatest MMA shows in history, IMO. Even though it was in Vegas and had US rules.

And again, the production itself in Pride was always so crazy:
https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1228825

That UFC fight was shite.
The main needed yellow cards badly. That was awful. I can't wait to hit the Thai joint and tease the guy who told me it would be a good one. The women (co-main) were unreal (first time I've ever said that) and FOTY for sure. Had to be. Better head movement and educated punches than I see out of 90% of male MMA fighters. I don't like women's MMA at all, but I'm making an exception for that bout. Jesus what a fight.
The fight right before the women was fireworks as well.

I play Fight Night Champion all the time, but I was playing UFC 3 with my friends lately.
For HWs I use Mark Coleman and Dan Severn. My friends said for all the shit I talk about MMA, it pisses them off that I use the grapplers.
I use McGregor, Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Gracie and TJ Dillashaw for the other weights.
Fun game. Not as good as Fight Night but still fun to play

I like both, but follow MMA a little more close. The politics in boxing kind of drive me nuts. I know that it's better for the top fighters the way boxing is set up, but the UFC's model is more fan friendly imo.

I play Fight Night Champion all the time, but I was playing UFC 3 with my friends lately.
For HWs I use Mark Coleman and Dan Severn. My friends said for all the shit I talk about MMA, it pisses them off that I use the grapplers.
I use McGregor, Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Gracie and TJ Dillashaw for the other weights.
Fun game. Not as good as Fight Night but still fun to play

It's bullshit that there hasn't been a boxing game put out on this generation of consoles. Boxing has been a staple for video games since the Atari. EA UFC isn't bad, but EA is way better at making boxing games. I also liked the THQ UFC games on the 360 and PS3 better than the EA UFC games on the XB1 and PS4.

It's bullshit that there hasn't been a boxing game put out on this generation of consoles. Boxing has been a staple for video games since the Atari. EA UFC isn't bad, but EA is way better at making boxing games. I also liked the THQ UFC games on the 360 and PS3 better than the EA UFC games on the XB1 and PS4.
Apparently theyve been getting alot of feedback towards a new Fight Night game. I think they are planning on a new one.

The main needed yellow cards badly. That was awful. I can't wait to hit the Thai joint and tease the guy who told me it would be a good one. The women (co-main) were unreal (first time I've ever said that) and FOTY for sure. Had to be. Better head movement and educated punches than I see out of 90% of male MMA fighters. I don't like women's MMA at all, but I'm making an exception for that bout. Jesus what a fight.
The fight right before the women was fireworks as well.
The main event was terrible like you said. Neither wanted to engage so they decided to just play it safe. Of course that happens sometimes when both are counter-strikers because neither wants to take the lead or if they do it will usually be with longer strikes that are noncommittal. Occasionally it can happen with two big punchers also if both are being extremely cautious of each other's power.

In Adesanya's case he really didn't want to lead with anything other than low kicks similar to Anderson's refusal to lead against some of his opponents with anything other than low kicks. It just ends up being a feint fest Rashad Evans style with little to no action and an extremely slow pace. Neither knew how to limit the other's countering opportunities enough to lead confidently in order to make for a more entertaining fight. And neither knew how to unlock the other's defense to create separation for themselves to clearly win rounds.

I thought the co-main was very exciting as well. That's one of the best women's fights I've seen. That big hematoma was gross however. She looked unrecognizable with that thing on her forehead. Great action-packed fight for sure though. I enjoyed it 10x more than Adesanya vs Romero which was a complete stinker.

Last edited:
Back