do you still bench press?

iwillbebackin3weeks

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
my neighbour is an ex wrestler/grappler and he said (few years ago) that bench press is good for your upperbody strength ... its easy, fast and good for grapplers etc.

Maybe I misunderstood something.

He moved to Italy and is rarely reachable ..

sherbro needs help

Last edited:
I think pulling movement is best for grappling, specially rows. But of course you need a balanced training.

I was never a bench press guy myself, because my chest grows way more than the rest, so i kinda avoid it.

No. Pushing motions in general are super super overrated for grappling/combat sports/real life. As the guy above me says, pulling/upper back stuff is way more relevant. I would recommend grip, upper back stuff, and more than anything- abs, both calisthenics and weighted stuff.

Plus many people (not all but like a significant number) suffer shoulder problems from benching, especially bodybuilder style with the elbows flared, but even with the regular version too

I follow a well-rounded, periodized lifting program which includes bench and variations on bench. Why would you ignore one of the most basic compound lifts if you're training for strength? That sounds crazy. Like ignoring half of the human body. :D

I follow a well-rounded, periodized lifting program which includes bench and variations on bench. Why would you ignore one of the most basic compound lifts if you're training for strength? That sounds crazy. Like ignoring half of the human body. :D

I train a gymnastics style program. Not only does it make me stronger but it helps me move better. I'm using it to supplement my BJJ, not as a priority.

I guess it depends on what your goals are, mine aren't to bench more. I don't care at all about that.

"You need to be "bulletproof from all angles" to even be remotely successful at moderate levels of gymnastics.

When you compare that with a Powerlifter, who's only upper-body strength feat is being good at the bench press, and probably nothing much else.

It actually makes me laugh that most lifting programs treat the entire back muscles as "assistance work". How can anybody call themselves strong if they have a weak back?"

I would but I don't have a bench. I just OHP and use my Hex bar.

i heard many good things, but also bad things.

50% say its good and the other 50% say it isnt worth the time.

I train a gymnastics style program. Not only does it make me stronger but it helps me move better. I'm using it to supplement my BJJ, not as a priority.

I guess it depends on what your goals are, mine aren't to bench more. I don't care at all about that.

"You need to be "bulletproof from all angles" to even be remotely successful at moderate levels of gymnastics.

When you compare that with a Powerlifter, who's only upper-body strength feat is being good at the bench press, and probably nothing much else.

It actually makes me laugh that most lifting programs treat the entire back muscles as "assistance work". How can anybody call themselves strong if they have a weak back?"

Yeah, well, if I were bulletproof enough to do gymnastics I wouldn't need to lift, probably. I'm female and have a naturally weaker upper body. Before I bench pressed regularly I couldn't do more than 10 pushups in a row. Weight lifting can be either something people pursue to get VERY STRONG or something we pursue to get strong enough to do bodyweight movements better.

Floor press and push ups and dips (weighted if possible)

my neighbour is an ex wrestler/grappler and he said (few years ago) that bench press is good for your upperbody strength ... its easy, fast and good for grapplers etc.

Maybe I misunderstood something.

He moved to Italy and is rarely reachable ..

sherbro needs help

no def not.. lifting heavy weights/compound lifts only stiffen your joints imagine begin stiff then getting armlocked... yeah.. not good...

you wana be as limber as possible tbh use a total gym thats the best workout thing for a jiu jitsu guy

no def not.. lifting heavy weights/compound lifts only stiffen your joints imagine begin stiff then getting armlocked... yeah.. not good...

you wana be as limber as possible tbh use a total gym thats the best workout thing for a jiu jitsu guy

you are wrong, compound lifts only help your grappling and overall health. What you don't want to do is "bodbuilding exercies". Being limber can be kept up with stretching.

Whoever says benchpressing isn't useful in BJJ has not spend a lot of time at the bottom of a much heavier guy, I mean, are you kidding me? It will give that extra strength to be able to frame, keep some distance, recover against a knee on belly, recover any type of guard as a matter of fact. I only benched for the first time last year and it was mind boggling how useful it was, especially as a guardeiro.

Bench is useful. To avoid possible rotator cuff issues (though personally I think the likelihood of injury is highly overstated), you can do dumbell bench which will allow for great range of motion and more natural rotation of the weight through that range. But pecs are big, prime moving muscles for the arms, it wouldn't make sense not to train them (as well as anterior deltoids and triceps) as part of a weight program.

you are wrong, compound lifts only help your grappling and overall health. What you don't want to do is "bodbuilding exercies". Being limber can be kept up with stretching.

lol i was fucken with him

Benching was not kind to my triceps (tendonitis) and shoulders so I switched over to seated overhead presses. I've been pretty happy for the most part.

I bench rarely and when I do I only do incline. I lift weights sometimes when I'm cutting weight so I don't lose too much muscle but usually explosive heavy bag and some body weight exercises is enough to hold onto the muscle I have. I'm already stronger than most people my weight class so I try to put more emphasis on speed and cardio (my weaker areas)
Edit: I know it's grappling discussion but still relevant

We see a lot of guys hypertrophy or "bodybuilder" training. Gordon Ryan and Felipe Pena both seem to from videos they've posted.
They say hypertrophy training protects your joints better.

Many power lifters seem to use hypertrophy cycles to add some size and give their joints some recovery.

I think strength has diminishing returns after you get to a certain point.

I'd personally rather move better and try to stay injury free than set lifting PR's, we all have different goals though.

Back