Do you think that face/off has aged poorly?

I watched it a couple days ago and felt that the story line and characters were really cheesy. Nick cages character seemed like he was straight out of a cartoon or something with how crazy he was. The guy playing his brother also put on this obvious fake voice that made his character seem too unrealistic. Not a fan of the John Woo action sequences either, it's almost comedic with how over the top and fake everything is.

Aged fine, the movie is fine. 90s action flicks are all mostly cringe af now but, as with everything, you have to assume the perspective of the times. Broken Arrow, Con Air, most every Wesley Snipes movie, Keanu movies, fuck, everything is cringe, but good cringe, not flat garbage like 70-80% of action shit since 2000. I'll watch shit with Dave Bautista, wondering what sort of subhuman mongrel thought this could pass as an action movie. Give me a break.

Every Nicolas Cage movie has aged poorly. Every Bruckheimer movie as well.

My 14 yr old daughter watched it on the flight back from Europe and she thought it was great.

Thank you.. I was getting triggered by the combo of posts in this thread where people were shitting on it.

FANTASTIC MOVIE I watch it at least once a year.

That part where the woman dies (Gina G's character) in Nick Cage's arms and looks him in the eye and tells him "don't let our son turn out like us" hits me in the feels EVERY TIME.
My man! Prime gina was unbelievably hot, pretty sure i humped the couch bc of her

Aged fine, the movie is fine. 90s action flicks are all mostly cringe af now but, as with everything, you have to assume the perspective of the times. Broken Arrow, Con Air, most every Wesley Snipes movie, Keanu movies, fuck, everything is cringe, but good cringe, not flat garbage like 70-80% of action shit since 2000. I'll watch shit with Dave Bautista, wondering what sort of subhuman mongrel thought this could pass as an action movie. Give me a break.
I watched point break again recently and it's still very good. I'm thinking speed holds up as well. Maybe you meant bill and ted which I haven't seen lol

Plenty of great 90s movies that aged great, including action movies. Terminator 2, pretty much all the Schwarzenegger movies, the Stallone movies, desperado, blade is still great. Then you have some that I just don't understand what people were thinking like escape from la and to a lesser extent face off

Last edited:
I watched it a couple days ago and felt that the story line and characters were really cheesy. Nick cages character seemed like he was straight out of a cartoon or something with how crazy he was. The guy playing his brother also put on this obvious fake voice that made his character seem too unrealistic. Not a fan of the John Woo action sequences either, it's almost comedic with how over the top and fake everything is.
It was a great movie and supposed to be comic book like, that's the style that he pulled off so well.
Do people complain about pulp fiction because the action sequences are over the top and ridiculous as are the characters?

Lol escape from LA

tenor.gif

It’s fun. No more, no less. At the time, I was a kid, I thought it was ground-breaking and one of the best action films of the 90s. Now, I’d say there’s no way I would rate it so highly but it’s still entertaining.

The best thing about it, then and now, as much as I enjoy Woo’s direction and setpieces, is the way Travolta and Cage ham it up as the villain. They both seem to be having the time of their lives playing Troy.

It’s a cool setup for a movie even if just for the fact that Travolta and Cage get to play both the hero and the villain.

That said, even though I enjoy it, Jim Norton quickly convincing Patrice O’Neal (RIP) to turn against it on Opie and Anthony is absolutely hilarious. Patrice goes from loving it it to deriding it within a 90 seconds. That’s how compelling Norton’s case is lol.

Well, a lot of shit looked good when I was 8 to age 12. I was almost 20 when Faceoff came out so maybe that's why.

When i was that age, Superman 4 and highlander 2 were cool. both those movies are horrendous shit lol

Have to say I felt Supes 4 was terrible even when I was a kid. Nuclear Man? C’mon now.

It was probably because I loved Superman and Superman 2 so 3 and 4 just seemed significant downgrades.

what’s your stance on original Highlander? hokey, sure but awesome just the same. Queen only enhances it.

One dream, one soul, one prize, one goal

Freddie. legend.

I know it’s a cult classic, but I’ve never watched it all the way through

Have to say I felt Supes 4 was terrible even when I was a kid. Nuclear Man? C’mon now.

It was probably because I loved Superman and Superman 2 so 3 and 4 just seemed significant downgrades.

what’s your stance on original Highlander? hokey, sure but awesome just the same. Queen only enhances it.

One dream, one soul, one prize, one goal

Freddie. legend.
I've posted my thoughts on highlander a lot In the berry lol.

Classic movie. Excellent TV series. Horrible sequels

Back