Do you think you will get a black belt?

i'm 33. i have had plenty of injuries and feel worn out already.

but that just means i can't do raging crazy life and death sparring sessions with guys who outweigh me by 100lbs anymore.

i'll just have to take it easy most of the time. quitting altogether doesn't sound good to me at all.
I feel terrible when I do half assed training. If I train hard *and* sleep well I feel great and strong if I train half assed I just feel I am slowly getting beat up.

I got my brown belt the end of last year, I don't feel that I deserved it at all. I'd prefer to go back to purple to be honest.

I’m zeroing in on my brown belt. Feels like a farce that I might make it to that color. Purple is a pretty nice place to be.

honestly, guys, what matters more is do you think you'll still be doing jiu jitsu when you're in your 60s and 70s? i sure hope so.

Nineties Someday Top Team

manual-completo-de-jiu-jitsu-helio-gracie-D_NQ_NP_20815-MLB20198724798_112014-F-1.jpg

In Judo... probably...for what Shodan is worth. My previous coach (Rokudan) wants to promote me now, I've asked him to hold off out of respect for my current coach (Nandan) who's promoting style is rather different. I've run classes for him (previous coach) while in town and coached his players at a tournament when he had a family emergency, he was most impressed when I predicted who would do what based on what little I knew about them, a couple practices, and warmups, and I was more right than wrong, down to how they won or lost....if you can't play, coach I guess..

Last edited:
I’m zeroing in on my brown belt. Feels like a farce that I might make it to that color. Purple is a pretty nice place to be.
So I still have to enjoy mine to fill the gaps in my game

thanks mate, appreciate the response. I'm doing my best - with 3 kids and full time work it can be hard. Things going well, i can manage to train BJJ 3-4x a week and one judo session, with a couple of light S&C sessions around rehab / joint stability. Against the young athletic guys i just find it tough to counter the level of energy and speed they bring. I'm working more on guard retention against these guys but it can be tough going against a guy who is as stronger, younger and faster than you who doesn't show up training already tired haha. I guess we just have to do our best hey.
You do well, currently for the S&C I try to increase my grip strength as well the standing of the judo help me, I managed to get a brown belt in judo I just use 2-3 throws only (seoi nage, kochi gari, tai otoshi...) but I need to become better at passing.

Just turned 31, to be honest I think it is super likely I will quit once I start feeling old.

I feel terrible when I do half assed training. If I train hard *and* sleep well I feel great and strong if I train half assed I just feel I am slowly getting beat up.

Natty 46 yo with wife, 2 kids and full time job and still training. Have about 13 years mat time (wrestling, Judo, BJJ) spread over past 30 years with long involuntary gaps due to work, but in hindsight that may have been for the best because it allowed injuries to heal. When I wasn't grappling, kept fit with barbell training and running which I also love, but have always come back to grappling.

Instructor said he's giving me purple when they do the next group promotion day - probably this summer. With age really factoring in now, hard to think I'll ever really be worthy of purple+ when I'm comparing myself to the 20-something killers in my gym but whatever, as long as I'm having fun. At this rate I'll be BB by age 103 or something.

Last edited:
I don't know. I would like to say yes. Switched to judo after a couple years of bjj but now back to bjj. Hoping to get my judo black belt by year end if the gym ever opens back up and probably blue in bjj within a couple of months (only been back to bjj for 4 months).
I think you are tough on standing and top passing game :)

i've been a brown belt for several years now and i honestly don't care if i never get a black belt.

i know how good i am, i know where i'm lacking. i'm not competing, i do this solely because i love the sport. i'm too old to care about the gym status of the belt.

honestly, guys, what matters more is do you think you'll still be doing jiu jitsu when you're in your 60s and 70s? i sure hope so.
I was actually thinking about where I would be in jiu jitsu in 30 years when I'm in my 60's. We used to have an old school Brazilian in his late 60s come to our gym pretty often and he's very active and destroying me. I hope to be that guy one day. I'd love to teach my grandchildren a triangle.

I was actually thinking about where I would be in jiu jitsu in 30 years when I'm in my 60's. We used to have an old school Brazilian in his late 60s come to our gym pretty often and he's very active and destroying me. I hope to be that guy one day. I'd love to teach my grandchildren a triangle.
my goal is to be training all the way to my very late death.

i have no idea what that man's name was, but i saw a video of a red belt in his seventies (or eighties?) rolling with leo vieira, years back. it was obviously not competitive, vieira was very careful with the gentleman, but the guy was on the mat. he was active, he was still doing jiu jitsu. that's the goal, i think.

Well i've been training for 10 yrs now so i dont see myself quitting before i get my black belt, however i'm still at blue belt so it might take a while.

I was probably a couple of months away from getting my black belt before coronavirus and lockdown. It was so frustrating as I haven't been able to go back since March last year.

I do judo not BJJ and I've been training consistently for just over 10 years.

If you train long enough somebody will give your a BB. Nobody is going to second guess that a 60 year old isn't a 'real black belt' or anything like that.

i think i read here that they have a saying in brazil, that goes something along the lines of:

"as long as you don't die, they'll have to give it to you eventually"

Hopefully.
3 stripe brown- was going to get mine in the fall last year. Haven't trained in 10 months due to COVID (I work with at risk populations).

Just got vaccinated - so hopefully I can resume in a month.

Been watching videos, but not the same. I miss it. Took my first BJJ class in 95.

Back