Do you usually finish games that you start?

How often do you complete the main story/goal of games that you play?

• Total voters

Based and White Pilled

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Obviously some games can't be "finished", but I think you could count it as basically completed if you cleared all of the main content available. In MMOs this could be doing all of the raids available at the time. In Mount & Blade it could be conquering the entire map. In Ark it could be taming all the badass stuff and making a base out of the highest tier materials.

I finish less than 10% of the games I start. In games (and books and movies) I really enjoy exposition. I like being introduced to the mechanics, the world, and the characters. If the game doesn't have something really exceptional about it, I get pretty bored after I feel like I've got a good handle on all the mechanics and my character's playstyle isn't evolving anymore. I don't have any sort of internal urge telling me to stick it out and finish the game if I'm not having fun anymore.

What about you guys?

I usually finish a nearly 85-90% of all games that I start. The most recent game that I stopped playing this year was Death Stranding. If Im not enjoying it, I wont continue playing.

But there are cases where I love a game, but its either too long and life comes in the way, and you say youre gonna go back next week (and then its 3 months later and you're like fuck it). Most recent case was the Witcher 3. I love the game, and I will go back to finish it one of these years lol.

I tend to only play games that I know I will like though, and once in a while, Ill play a game that intrigues me but may not be of the type that I love to play.

I usually finish a nearly 85-90% of all games that I start. The most recent game that I stopped playing this year was Death Stranding. If Im not enjoying it, I wont continue playing.

But there are cases where I love a game, but its either too long and life comes in the way, and you say youre gonna go back next week (and then its 3 months later and you're like fuck it). Most recent case was the Witcher 3. I love the game, and I will go back to finish it one of these years lol.

I tend to only play games that I know I will like though, and once in a while, Ill play a game that intrigues me but may not be of the type that I love to play.
That makes sense. I usually try one or two new games every week. If I narrowed down the number of games that I try, I'd probably get the number of games I complete up to around 50%.

I have a thing where if I like something, I will procrastinate right at the end because I don’t want it to be over.

Anyway, it’s about 50/50. Either I finish it, or I don’t make it more than an hour or two. I can’t recall getting halfway through something and then just quitting forever. There’s probably one though; I’ve played a lot of games in my life.

Depends on if it's worth my time, or how addicting they are. I like to have multiple games on the go usually, and rarely focus on one. Sometimes I don't finish games I love because I don't want them to end lol, I'm an idiot.

This is why I tout the Souls (proper) games so much. Once they got their hooks in me, I never stopped each title until they were done. I was a late bloomer, only picking them up last year.

I played DS1, DS2, DS3, Bloodborne, and then Demon's Souls, all back to back to back etc... I didn't care for Sekiro though, and couldn't finish Nioh, I just got bored of them. It might be the setting, but I think with Nioh, I just got tired of the same enemies.

The Witcher 3 is one of my fav games, but it took me a year of playing long binges, between long breaks, to get through it.

Final Fantasy 7, 8, Xenogears, and the Xenosaga trilogy are among my fav RPG's. Despite starting them multiple times, and getting very far in each story, like up to 80 to 100 hours each, I never finished them. I just didn't want the story to end. I'll def finish the 7 remake though, and hope that Xenosaga and Xenogears gets a proper remaster, then I'll wrap them up for good.

Did any of you try the updated FF8 on Steam? I heard the slight remaster is decent.

It really depends on the game. Lately I have been finishing a lot, but I have really been enjoying them.

Typically it either needs to be short, or I need to be really into to finish it. I cannot finish these open world games with all the minutia that they like to throw in because I get really bored doing that stuff.

rarely ever do that now. the last game i really remember playing start to finish is RDR2. i’ve started probably 40-50 games since then and never finished them

I have a thing where if I like something, I will procrastinate right at the end because I don’t want it to be over.

Anyway, it’s about 50/50. Either I finish it, or I don’t make it more than an hour or two. I can’t recall getting halfway through something and then just quitting forever. There’s probably one though; I’ve played a lot of games in my life.
I do the same thing. Then I get all the best gear and like meh no reason to finish.

The last game I finished from very start to very end of the main quest was Far Cry 3 when it released lmao.

I got to the last quest in Kingdom Come Deliverance but it glitched and wouldn't let me finish. I finished the main quest in Fallout 4 (I think) but so much left to do in the game. And I always finish a GTA games story.

I do the same thing. Then I get all the best gear and like meh no reason to finish.
Haha this just happened to me with the Witcher 3. I got all of a gear set I wanted and then got a bit complacent about finishing because I’d just be going through the motions. But I finished it pretty promptly all things considered just to get to the DLC content (and more sweet gear upgrades).

I finish probably around 30% of the games I start. Maybe a quarter of that percent are games longer than 40 hours. I hit a wall around the 40 hour mark, and feel like moving on. The only exception are puzzle or twin stick shooters. Playing those for hours upon hours doesn’t seem to phase me as much.

I have a ton of games on my playlist and an adult life to lead, so here's my rules for completing as many games as possible:

1) Always choose the recommended/normal difficulty on the first playthrough, unless its a franchise you're already well familiar with.

2) If the game is boring, shut it off and read the wikipedia entry. If it sounds good, go back and play it. If not, watch the ending on youtube.

3) If the game glitches or basically cheats to make you lose, you're allowed to use cheat codes from that point forward.

4) If it's in the game, its allowed. This includes pyromancer and summoning spirits in Dark Souls.

5) Guides and internet searches are allowed. Only a fool makes their life harder by ignoring valid sources of information. Don't believe me? Try beating Hexen.

6) If someone else bought it for you, you have an obligation to beat it.

7) MMO's aren't games. They're chat rooms with cut scenes and math.

8) VR games aren't games. They're grim reminders that you're fat and lazy and not an actual space marine.

9) Cell phone games ARE games, but you should feel ashamed for playing them.

10) Pirate if you can. Purchase if you must. Buy DLC if the content and the developer are worthwhile. Never, ever, give money to Riot games or Blizzard.

I have finished about 1/3 of the games in my library. Granted, I'm going by the standards set here and am including games that aren't necessarily always played for their story mode but have them anyways (like fighting games and strategy games) so my numbers may be a bit higher without them. My collection of freebies sitting on my PC with only a few plays each aren't helping either.

I occasionally finish them. I've been a lot better with finishing games this generation, as I made an effort not to splurge on games and finish the ones I bought. Game Pass fucked all that up.

I occasionally finish them. I've been a lot better with finishing games this generation, as I made an effort not to splurge on games and finish the ones I bought. Game Pass fucked all that up.
I use Steam's <2 hours played = full refund policy very liberally to avoid spending a ton of money on mediocre games.

I finished the last of Us, GTA 5, GTA 4, Skyrim main story(if that counts), rdr2.
I can't think of any other games I've finished and I've probley bought well over 200 games over the last 10 years.

Games that I actually purchase? I probably complete 8/10 of those that I start.

Games that come along with services? PS+, Game Pass, etc. Maybe 1/4.

No. My gaming time is limited. If I start something I usually know in the first hour or so whether or not I'll like it. And if I don't I'm not wasting anymore time with it.

That's the goal. I usually don't buy a game unless I think I'm going to like it. The idea is buy it, play it and beat it.

I go so far as to make a document of "Games to Beat" and the estimated length of each game. I've played games long enough now where I'll start a game and if it doesn't grab me within 30 minutes to an hour, I'm probably going to move on to something else. It'll remain on the list but realistically, I'm probably never going to come back to it. The backlog is too large and I really like playing, experiencing and beating as many games as possible.

Back