Do you usually finish games that you start?

How often do you complete the main story/goal of games that you play?

• Total voters
I’ll either start a game and finish it or play it for an hour and say fuck this game.

Once I start playing a game I usually finish. The only two in the last 10 years that come to mind where I started but didn’t finish were Assassin’s Creed III because I found it boring and inferior to all the Ezio games, and Lords of the Fallen, which I found to be boring and inferior to the Soulsborne games.

I finish games all the time. Usually I play short indies though. I try my best to get all achievements as well for FULL completion unless it's to much of a time sink.

Currently have only a couple of games going on right now that are not my usual cycle. That's how I usually play games I buy. If I played all of them at once I would never make progress, forget story beats or gameplay features or controls and then just have to restart.

I usually finish games I start but not always. Probably 7/8 outta 10 these days. The ones I buy full price or that I've had my eye on and really want, I always finish. It's the ones I buy on sale that look cool but I'm unsure about that bring the average down. They might be fun, but if they're not really engaging I won't get through them. Other stuff I'd rather do as an adult, I don't wanna waste time on things that aren't awesome (to me).

I guessed I always figured most gamers finished most of the games they buy, if only to get their money's worth.

I was quite surprised when I heard that only 30% of gamers that bought a Mass Effect game actually finished it, and even fewer carried their save file onto the next game, and a very small percentage have started a Mass Effect 1 game and carried the save onto the third game. I guess that explains why that technical mechanic has never been used in another game franchise... with the exception of The Witcher.

Speaking of The Witcher, when I first played the third game on PS4, I was surprised I got a trophy for 'Meeting Yennefer' and I looked up the details of the trophy and PSN said only 70% of gamers have gotten that far into the game... which was practically the end of the tutorial area, White Orchard.

So as far as myself goes, I've beat MOST games I've played because I look up multiple reviews for games I buy. I used to fall for hype and advertisements, but after one too many times I realised I wasted $60 and I feel dumber for it.

Hell, its been a very long while I haven't beat a game I've bought.

I finish most games I start. Shadow of the Colossus had the biggest gap of like 8 years. Once I I beat the jump at the third colossus, it was all downhill

Used to be "almost all", now it's "very rarely"

Part of it is that I'm older and way busier.
But another large part of it is that I don't have 30 games I bought for maybe $40 each any more, I have a gazillion games I bought on GOG for a gazillion x $2.50 (on average, maybe) and I don't have time for them all or to spend on a mediocre/annoying game any more, either.

Obviously some games can't be "finished", but I think you could count it as basically completed if you cleared all of the main content available. In MMOs this could be doing all of the raids available at the time. In Mount & Blade it could be conquering the entire map. In Ark it could be taming all the badass stuff and making a base out of the highest tier materials.

I finish less than 10% of the games I start. In games (and books and movies) I really enjoy exposition. I like being introduced to the mechanics, the world, and the characters. If the game doesn't have something really exceptional about it, I get pretty bored after I feel like I've got a good handle on all the mechanics and my character's playstyle isn't evolving anymore. I don't have any sort of internal urge telling me to stick it out and finish the game if I'm not having fun anymore.

What about you guys?

Yes. I didn't used to but then I cancelled my ps+ membership. Now I buy the games that I actually want to play and stick with it instead of just getting whatever the free monthly games are.

Depends on how much I like the game

I saw a statistic on this a couple years back that stated the majority (70%+) of gamers do not finish games they start. This is a large reason why games have become easier and easier as time has passed, because developers fear too much resistance will cause players to quit. And in the modern era of microtransactions, keeping players engaged is the name of the game.

I saw a statistic on this a couple years back that stated the majority (70%+) of gamers do not finish games they start. This is a large reason why games have become easier and easier as time has passed, because developers fear too much resistance will cause players to quit. And in the modern era of microtransactions, keeping players engaged is the name of the game.

I think it might be balancing out a bit more, with the "Soulsbourne/like" success. You've got more and more developers looking to catch that lightning in a bottle, and releasing stupidly hard games hoping it will be the next "Dark Souls". Some developers' entire identity is making Souls clones, like the guys who made "The Surge". You've also the simpler games, like Super Meat Boy, Cuphead, Blazing Chrome, Blasphemous, etc, etc, that have no problem giving people that old school difficulty.

The industry still leans more toward the casual side, in trying to make their games accessible for everyone, but that niche appeal of super hard games, is getting bigger.

If I don't like a game I'll stop playing without giving it a 2nd look. I do my research though and generally only buy games which I'm very likely to enjoy.

I think they were mistaken about difficulty being a primary reason that players don't finish games. Certainly it could be the cause for games that are insanely difficult, but for the most part I think players are willing to struggle through if they are engaged.

As @HereticBD said, I think we've seen the difficulty pendulum start to swing back the other way largely due to the success of the Souls games.
I rarely finished RPG games. Example, I never finished FF7 even though I played it for like three times, always quit after I have a golden chocobo, all materias and beat all the weapons. There is just no incentive to finish the game. New Vegas is my top 5 games of all time and yet I've never finished it. The last RPG that I play from start to finish is Nier Automata because the game gives you incentives to beat the game not just once or twice.
I'm in the same boat. It seems like almost all games have this middle area where build development plateaus, I feel like I've got a good grip on all the game mechanics, and I've gotten the gist of what the game world is about. I'm very likely to quit at this point if there isn't something really engaging about the story or exploration aspects of the game.

I never completed the main objective in many of my favorite games. All the ones that I did finish were either because I really enjoyed the story or exploring was so fun that I just did the quests as I traversed the world.

Last edited:
If it is a game with a deep story. I don't like goodbyes so I don't stop playing at the end of the final stage. I think I stopped short of completing the yakuza games, metal gear 5, fallout series and greedfall etc. I did finish dishonored series and witcher series. I didn't notice that I get sad when the game starts to end until I played rdr2. When Arthur got sick, I didn't want to play anymore even when I knew there would be a lot of gaming left after he dies.
If it's not story heavy, I grind the hell out of it like Hitman 2.

If it is a game with a deep story. I don't like goodbyes so I don't stop playing at the end of the final stage. I think I stopped short of completing the yakuza games, metal gear 5, fallout series and greedfall etc. I did finish dishonored series and witcher series. I didn't notice that I get sad when the game starts to end until I played rdr2. When Arthur got sick, I didn't want to play anymore even when I knew there would be a lot of gaming left after he dies.
If it's not story heavy, I grind the hell out of it like Hitman 2.
Holy fuck spoilers bro

I finish most of them, though some prove to be so incredibly tedious and boring that I completely give up and move on to greener pastures (Red Dead Redemption 2 being a perfect example).

<Dany07>

First time I've ever heard a gamer list a GOAT game and in the same sentence say "I've never finished it."
I don't think I finished it either. I got to the end where you made a whole bunch of choices. I must admit I replayed it a ton of times though.

To give a for instance:

I just bought AC: Odyssey. It is a fun game, but I can already tell I will never finish it. There is just too much to do and I know I will burn out.

FF7 comes out Friday, and I know I will finish that one as it is more story heavy and focused, without all the outside stuff.

To give a for instance:

I just bought AC: Odyssey. It is a fun game, but I can already tell I will never finish it. There is just too much to do and I know I will burn out.

FF7 comes out Friday, and I know I will finish that one as it is more story heavy and focused, without all the outside stuff.
Same. I quit Odyssey a few days ago. I played like 20 hours and it was getting really repetitive. I googled the end of the story and uninstalled.

Fun game, but I can only do the same mission so many times

Back