Does anyone butt scoot anymore? How to beat the BS 101

-guerilla-

Founder of the Louisville fight club est..1993
Banned
Reaction score
Pulling guard and the subsequent butt scooting Style spawned from this has been specially developed for competition BJJ and is literal suicide in modern MMA.

It is some of the most ridiculous crap I've ever seen in my life....

if you subscribe to the theory that grappling sports are analogs for MMA competition the butt scoot has got to go.

Right here right now that will never make it in the Olympics or on TV in 1.5 million years...whos gonna buy advert space on a niche grappling sport dominated by Brazilians anyway???

I just keep distance and pull a sakuraba style spin or jump move and then grab them by their head, neck and arm so they can't invert over and roll into a ball in an attempt to regain their guard.

Inside I'm practically giddy with humor from the knowledge that this ridiculous technique would most likely get them killed in the street but certainly knocked unconscious in MMA competition but here you are again because you can't find a competitive MMA grappler and are forced to play these silly games with some guy focused on the game of sport BJJ.

This is a great example of how we ruined grappling sports with our silly rules and the subsequent goofy techniques that Spawn from such silly rules.

I think it's incredibly easy to fix in competition if your opponent is in a dominant position they are winning and the guard is a defensive position

So make a takedown worth 5 Points and of course pulling guard is conceding a takedown and thus gives up 5 Points

After that the BJJ stylist can lay on their back and concentrate on rape prevention techniques for the rest of the fight if they want to...but if they stand up and subsequently pull guard again it's another 5 points

I personally walk over to the guy's girlfriend and ask her for her phone number while he scoots over to me on his butt...that seems to make them stand up.

I actually train my athletes to counter a butt scoot by walking away from your opponent lifting both your arms up and jumping around Rocky style in Victory....

Honestly with such silly techniques its no surprise BJJ has been POUNDED out of MMA.

Thank god!

The early butt scoot days of MMA were terrifying...this new fight sport had a Brazilian butt scoot across the mat and ACTUALLY win with a basic submission
On some chump wrestler or kickboxer who had never seen an armbar in their life.

You could actually hear sponsors and promoters backing out of MMA

Thank God for Sakuraba....his thorough pounding of all the bjj but scooters really seemed to cement the fact that American rules MMA was crap and allowed Brazilian butt scooters an artificial advantage.

Pulling guard and the subsequent butt scooting Style spawned from this has been specially developed for competition BJJ and is literal suicide in modern MMA.

It is some of the most ridiculous crap I've ever seen in my life....

if you subscribe to the theory that grappling sports are analogs for MMA competition the butt scoot has got to go.

Right here right now that will never make it in the Olympics or on TV in 1.5 million years...whos gonna buy advert space on a niche grappling sport dominated by Brazilians anyway???

I just keep distance and pull a sakuraba style spin or jump move and then grab them by their head, neck and arm so they can't invert over and roll into a ball in an attempt to regain their guard.

Inside I'm practically giddy with humor from the knowledge that this ridiculous technique would most likely get them killed in the street but certainly knocked unconscious in MMA competition but here you are again because you can't find a competitive MMA grappler and are forced to play these silly games with some guy focused on the game of sport BJJ.

This is a great example of how we ruined grappling sports with our silly rules and the subsequent goofy techniques that Spawn from such silly rules.

I think it's incredibly easy to fix in competition if your opponent is in a dominant position they are winning and the guard is a defensive position

So make a takedown worth 5 Points and of course pulling guard is conceding a takedown and thus gives up 5 Points

After that the BJJ stylist can lay on their back and concentrate on rape prevention techniques for the rest of the fight if they want to...but if they stand up and subsequently pull guard again it's another 5 points

I personally walk over to the guy's girlfriend and ask her for her phone number while he scoots over to me on his butt...that seems to make them stand up.

I actually train my athletes to counter a butt scoot by walking away from your opponent lifting both your arms up and jumping around Rocky style in Victory....

Honestly with such silly techniques its no surprise BJJ has been POUNDED out of MMA.

Thank god!

The early butt scoot days of MMA were terrifying...this new fight sport had a Brazilian butt scoot across the mat and ACTUALLY win with a basic submission
On some chump wrestler or kickboxer who had never seen an armbar in their life.

You could actually hear sponsors and promoters backing out of MMA

Thank God for Sakuraba....his thorough pounding of all the bjj but scooters really seemed to cement the fact that American rules MMA was crap and allowed Brazilian butt scooters an artificial advantage.

Bjj spawned out of mama? Yet 99% of top gyms train Bjj as the main ground grappling art.

Pulling guard is no different than playing death in freestyle or judo to get a stand up. Every single sport grappling has ridiculous rules that do not apply to fighting... Buttscooting is still 100 times safer than such technies displayed in those sports. And don’t start with the soccer kicks crap, Nog made a name of himself by pulling guard in pride, and he did quite well. Of course modern mma has evolved and pulling guard is no longer an option, But then again mma is not sd, and I doubt there’s someone with more than 6 months of training and 2 working Brian cEllls that will pull guard in a sf

Last edited:
Bjj spawned out of mama? Yet 99% of top gyms train Bjj as the main ground grappling art.

Pulling guard is no different than playing death in freestyle or judo to get a stand up. Every single sport grappling has ridiculous rules that do not apply to fighting... Buttscooting is still 100 times safer than such technies displayed in those sports. And don’t start with the soccer kicks crap, Nog made a name of himself by pulling guard in pride, and he did quite well. Of course modern mma has evolved and pulling guard is no longer an option, But then again mma is not sd, and I doubt there’s someone with more than 6 months of training and 2 working Brian cEllls that will pull guard in a sf

I have 8 years of training and 1 working brain cell. If I pull SLX on a mofo, he's going down.

Inside I'm practically giddy with humor from the knowledge that this ridiculous technique would most likely get them killed in the street but certainly knocked unconscious in MMA competition but here you are again because you can't find a competitive MMA grappler. I personally walk over to the guy's girlfriend and ask her for her phone number while he scoots over to me on his butt...that seems to make them stand up.

TS after making his post:

200.gif

I have 8 years of training and 1 working brain cell. If I pull SLX on a mofo, he's going down.

I’m sure, but why on earth would you pull 1 Slx in someone iba a sf, clinch, trip mount rnc, simple

i use to butt scoot as a teen before i got good at takedowns tbh in bjj rules sure go for it if u have crappy stand up and you wana play off your back then go ahead but...

i do think u should lose an advantage not 2 points but it should cost advantage because if eel you should always try to push the action and butt scooting is being to passive

I’m sure, but why on earth would you pull 1 Slx in someone iba a sf, clinch, trip mount rnc, simple
Say if you get attacked by a -guerilla- (he mistakenly thinks you have been harassing wild animals at the park with folkstyle rides), you can either pull guard and easily kill him or wrestle him and risk getting thrown in a super bad position.

His picture:
latest

File:RangerSmith.png

Last edited:

I agree that all grappling Sports have ridiculous aspects

Wrestling, judo and sambo all suffer from cronic turtle syndrome and the gi dependence of sambo and judo are EXTREMELY detrimental.

The WORST offender is modern competition Judo, since they banned all leg holds that sport has become a complete game. I would rather have a football player than a post leg ban trained competitive judoka on my MMA team.

What a shame had they never banned legs and opened a gi-less class it would have been an amazing combat sport.

Ditching the Gi was the smartest thing BJJ ever did... it propelled it to the head of the pack for submission specialty grappling

However,

guard pull/butt scoot is tragic....

will NEVER get a blip in pro sports media

Spectator attendance to big champions is practically nil..

I always got a massive kick out of BJJ...

It's just overpriced judo really

Butt scooting was crushed by sakuraba's soccer kick

That's why BJJ had a better run in the UFC

American MMA = BUTTSCOOT safeapace

Grapple with light MMA striking or you develop terrible habits

Last edited:
i use to butt scoot as a teen before i got good at takedowns tbh in bjj rules sure go for it if u have crappy stand up and you wana play off your back then go ahead but...

i do think u should lose an advantage not 2 points but it should cost advantage because if eel you should always try to push the action and butt scooting is being to passive

it's a good idea to pull guard if you're being taken down

I'm an excellent wrestler but anytime I'm in danger of a big takedown or throw I pull guard immediately so that I don't get dumped hard and I usually catch a pretty good submission series for my effort

The guard is a CRITICAL position to master...just don't go there unless you have to and always think about being hit.

Like i said it's WAY better than getting slammed

However

It's a losing position

They should issue riding time points...if your opponent is in guard they are losing the contest...whoever wins the dominant position should get some major advantage points or something.

That will reduce the stalling.

Pulling guard is ok, people just suck at guard passing.

Guard passing is the skill that you need to get good at.

You need to train it a lot in training, when points don't count and you can take risks. If you pick 4-5 good passes or passing strategies and you get good at them, you will get better and you will also understand which sweeps are dangerous to counter your passing and how to not get mounted everytime they hit the sweep.

I train with a couple of guys who will just be conservative and never attack my guard, yesterday a good guy, about my level, was never able to pass in 6 minutes, but he was always posturing to avoid sweeps and never engaging. It was a good practice for my guard retention, but he never got better at guard passing

Visiting BJJ guy did that to me a couple of weeks ago in Randori after a failed throw(still a little cautious with my re built base leg joint)....felt him latching on to my back, forward rolled snapped back, launched him over my head. He rolled on to his butt and started scooting back to me....What I can't heel stomp him in the face?

No I actually saw the butt scoot with my own two eyes!

Visiting BJJ guy did that to me a couple of weeks ago in Randori after a failed throw(still a little cautious with my re built base leg joint)....felt him latching on to my back, forward rolled snapped back, launched him over my head. He rolled on to his butt and started scooting back to me....What I can't heel stomp him in the face?

No I actually saw the butt scoot with my own two eyes!

Watch sakuraba deal with the world class buttscooters

In grapplng its actually a very effective technique...but it's suicide everywhere else.

How are you grapplng? Gi no strikes?

Last edited:
Pulling guard is ok, people just suck at guard passing.

Guard passing is the skill that you need to get good at.

You need to train it a lot in training, when points don't count and you can take risks. If you pick 4-5 good passes or passing strategies and you get good at them, you will get better and you will also understand which sweeps are dangerous to counter your passing and how to not get mounted everytime they hit the sweep.

I train with a couple of guys who will just be conservative and never attack my guard, yesterday a good guy, about my level, was never able to pass in 6 minutes, but he was always posturing to avoid sweeps and never engaging. It was a good practice for my guard retention, but he never got better at guard passing

Yeah it works great as long as they can't strike or use most leg submissions and both guys are wearing a Gi

I've never met a guard I couldent pass but the toughest guys REGAIN it by inverting...of course I could have hit them 100 times in process however they probably have near equal submission opportunities

It's VERY effective in grappling but suicide in the street and most MMA

Yeah it works great as long as they can't strike or use most leg submissions and both guys are wearing a Gi

I've never met a guard I couldent pass but the toughest guys REGAIN it by inverting...of course I could have hit them 100 times in process however they probably have near equal submission opportunities

It's VERY effective in grappling but suicide in the street and most MMA

Butt scouting is obviously dangerous in MMA, I rarely butt scout, I will stay on my ass if the distance to his legs is good for me, SLX from chin to chin is very efficient. If they disengage completely I will stand up and start back standing. I Pull guard most of the time, in gi and no gi with proper upper body control and I break the posture to attack for sweeps or for entering leg locks. I still mix it up with some takedowns from time to time.

I'm 36 with no intention of using my fighting skills in the streets or entering any MMA bouts

Butt scouting is obviously dangerous in MMA, I rarely butt scout, I will stay on my ass if the distance to his legs is good for me, SLX from chin to chin is very efficient. If they disengage completely I will stand up and start back standing. I Pull guard most of the time, in gi and no gi with proper upper body control and I break the posture to attack for sweeps or for entering leg locks. I still mix it up with some takedowns from time to time.

I'm 36 with no intention of using my fighting skills in the streets or entering any MMA bouts

That's a very intelligent use of the guard pull/butt scoot...like I said I do it also but ONLY when I'm losing the scramble and about to be taken down.

I have equal submission and wrestling experience so wherever a wrestler its trying too hard to take me down I'm happy to pull guard and sweep em.

In fact I quite often go for a leg submission from guard with ZERO intention of finishing the attack with a submission but instead am trying to get the REVERSAL (of course I will take the submission if it's easy but I'm ACTUALLY going for position)

And as long as your aware that what your doing is dangerous outside of competitive grappling and can develop into a bad habit...enjoy, it's a highly effective technique. (For grappling)

Last edited:
I agree that all grappling Sports have ridiculous aspects

Wrestling, judo and sambo all suffer from cronic turtle syndrome and the gi dependence of sambo and judo are EXTREMELY detrimental.

The WORST offender is modern competition Judo, since they banned all leg holds that sport has become a complete game. I would rather have a football player than a post leg ban trained competitive judoka on my MMA team.

What a shame had they never banned legs and opened a gi-less class it would have been an amazing combat sport.

Ditching the Gi was the smartest thing BJJ ever did... it propelled it to the head of the pack for submission specialty grappling

However,

guard pull/butt scoot is tragic....

will NEVER get a blip in pro sports media

Spectator attendance to big champions is practically nil..

I always got a massive kick out of BJJ...

It's just overpriced judo really

Butt scooting was crushed by sakuraba's soccer kick

That's why BJJ had a better run in the UFC

American MMA = BUTTSCOOT safeapace

Grapple with light MMA striking or you develop terrible habits

Dude, pride was rule by btt and chute box, Sakuraba got soccer kicked into obvilon by arona too... Nog ruled pride with soccer kicks basically fighting off his back. The fuck are talking about...

Soccer kicks do change de nature of the sport, but it is waaaaay more dangerous to wrestles and judokas who
Like to turtle.

And judo and Bjj share basically the same techniques, but were never the same. Bjj or Gracie jj was a fighting System, more than a set of techniques... and modern bjj and modern judo? It’s laughable to say they are the same...

Dude, pride was rule by btt and chute box, Sakuraba got soccer kicked into obvilon by arona too... Nog ruled pride with soccer kicks basically fighting off his back. The fuck are talking about...

Soccer kicks do change de nature of the sport, but it is waaaaay more dangerous to wrestles and judokas who
Like to turtle.

And judo and Bjj share basically the same techniques, but were never the same. Bjj or Gracie jj was a fighting System, more than a set of techniques... and modern bjj and modern judo? It’s laughable to say they are the same...

The main difference in judo and BJJ is the cost to train...otherwise it's the same thing...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hélio_Gracie

Modern competition Judo is a total wash and is 100% worthless for MMA

I'm talking about REAL JUDO as Helio learned from Mitsuyo maeda

Modern BJJ was smart enough to ditch the GI but it's still just overpriced judo newaza

Big nog should have stuck with the butt scoot

wrestling judo and sambo all share the same fatal flaw and of course it's based on the silly point system where turtling and waiting for the ref stoppage is a smart strategy however the butt scoot and the guard pull are in the same exact vein

Effective in some niche grappling sport however stalling survival BS for MMA

if your butt scooting you're getting the crap best out of you plain and simple

its a survival strategy I would leave it for the rape prevention people

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back