Does anyone else consider the one fc muay thai champions the best for mma

SHAOLINMONK420

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
just because of the small gloves in one fc muay thai and walking out in a totally new environment and sport. i think of a muay thai fight with mma gloves ALMOST as a mma fight without the threat of most takedowns and some smaller details.

i know mcgregor or some other ufc athlete might and would beat these one fc muay thai champions but still it seems like a very good way to prepare for mma. I wish we had it in the states.

kickboxers seems to be losing the same effectiveness in mma ufc even kicked tyrone sponge for being koed out of the ufc

Last edited:
just because of the small gloves in one fc muay thai and walking out in a totally new environment and sport. i think of a muay thai fight with mma gloves ALMOST as a mma fight without the threat of most takedowns and some smaller details.

i know mcgregor or some other ufc athlete might and would beat these one fc muay thai champions but still it seems like a very good way to prepare for mma. I wish we had it in the states.

kickboxers seems to be losing the same effectiveness in mma ufc even kicked tyrone sponge for being koed out of the ufc

They would kill Conor did you see what Poirier did with a few leg kicks? And Tyrone Spong broke his leg and went to boxing and got popped for steroids. Last I heard he might come back to kickboxing but he might not be the same.

They would kill Conor did you see what Poirier did with a few leg kicks? And Tyrone Spong broke his leg and went to boxing and got popped for steroids. Last I heard he might come back to kickboxing but he might not be the same.
Now everybody that kicks low beat him? Poirer had to survive the first round and evaded his punches in the second

Last edited:
Now everybody that kicks low beat him? Poirer had to survive the first round and evaded his punches in the second
Thai champions are "everybody that throws a kick". Yep, Houston we have a genius...

It wasn't surviving, it was a pretty even first round. Those highlight reel punches Conor landed were basically the only things that did. He wasn't able to deal with Poirier's guard or kicks. Generally when you throw single shots out of combination it's doesn't match up well against someone who is that good at bouncing single shots off their elbows, hell Holloway wasn't really able to do much and he's the volume puncher.

It's actually baffling that Conor fought for that many years without facing someone who would low kick him, given his obviously weak stance for defending them, Eddie Alvarez buckled his leg with every kick he threw and then literally abandoned them.

McGregor would lose to any decent Muay Thai fighter around his weight.

+ it wouldn't have to be because of low kicks, it's because those guys are better at Conor at everything.

I wouldn't really fancy his chances against Charlie Peters, never mind Petchmorrakot, Bohic or any other top level Muay Thai fighter. He's not able to beat the top level in his own sport.

Tyrone Spong wasn't in the UFC.

Not sure if serious. Conor would get fucking murdered.
Most of these Thais or Kickboxers are not great evading punches. They don't train correctly, but most of the time they just fight beetwen them so is not noticeable

Last edited:
It wasn't surviving, it was a pretty even first round. Those highlight reel punches Conor landed were basically the only things that did. He wasn't able to deal with Poirier's guard or kicks. Generally when you throw single shots out of combination it's doesn't match up well against someone who is that good at bouncing single shots off their elbows, hell Holloway wasn't really able to do much and he's the volume puncher.

It's actually baffling that Conor fought for that many years without facing someone who would low kick him, given his obviously weak stance for defending them, Eddie Alvarez buckled his leg with every kick he threw and then literally abandoned them.

McGregor would lose to any decent Muay Thai fighter around his weight.

+ it wouldn't have to be because of low kicks, it's because those guys are better at Conor at everything.

I wouldn't really fancy his chances against Charlie Peters, never mind Petchmorrakot, Bohic or any other top level Muay Thai fighter. He's not able to beat the top level in his own sport.

Tyrone Spong wasn't in the UFC.

With evading i mean dodging.. English is not my native language and kinda sucks
tenor.gif

What Thai does this? he had better moments than this, he is not countering but is weathering the storm, Conor hurts people with that

Last edited:
With evading i mean dodging.. English is not my native language and kinda sucks
tenor.gif

What Thai does this? he had better moments than this, he is not countering but is weathering the storm, Conor hurts people with that

How is it bad? Samart was a boxing champ. Thai's dominate the lower weight classes in boxing. Lerdsila, Saenchai, Somrak, Karuhat all have great evasion and defense.

How is it bad? Samart was a boxing champ. Thai's dominate the lower weight classes in boxing. Lerdsila, Saenchai, Somrak, Karuhat all have great evasion and defense.
They trained boxing, Samart was champion but wasnt great
I know about Thais in boxing

Who is the One champion? Lerdsila?.. he seems good in that HL but i would bet for Conor haha

Most of these Thais or Kickboxers are not great evading punches. They don't train correctly, but most of the time they just fight beetwen them so is not noticeable
They dont need to, of all the skills to work on, punching pales in comparison to other areas; As memeojima says too, it may not look like much for some, but there's a good amount of nak muay who dipped into boxing and did well; And if we are being honest, Conor is a great boxer either. MMA being a mixed sport, striking isnt up to par to striking specific styles. with form like that gif, it'd be clinch city. There's numerous journeymen who don't even stand on the world stage that are much better in boxing than most MMA fighters are

The reason MMA fighters beat purebred strikers is due to grappling (incl threat of the ground game), not striking pedigree. To be fair for Conor, he is very good at the mental game, feinting, and distance, attributes that carry over to all forms of combat sports

They dont need to, of all the skills to work on, punching pales in comparison to other areas; As memeojima says too, it may not look like much for some, but there's a good amount of nak muay who dipped into boxing and did well; And if we are being honest, Conor is a great boxer either. MMA being a mixed sport, striking isnt up to par to striking specific styles. with form like that gif, it'd be clinch city. There's numerous journeymen who don't even stand on the world stage that are much better in boxing than most MMA fighters are

The reason MMA fighters beat purebred strikers is due to grappling (incl threat of the ground game), not striking pedigree. To be fair for Conor, he is very good at the mental game, feinting, and distance, attributes that carry over to all forms of combat sports
Most of their Knockouts r not from punches to the head? I heard that punches scores less points, thats something artificial

Last edited:
They trained boxing, Samart was champion but wasnt great
I know about Thais in boxing

Who is the One champion? Lerdsila?.. he seems good in that HL but i would bet for Conor haha

No Petchmorrakot is one champ and he'd slaughter Conor. So would Nong O and Capitan/Dieselek. Hell I would even say Rodtank KOs Conor lol

Most of their Knockouts r not from punches to the head? I heard that punches scores less, thats something artificial
Punches score less because when you look at the overall game you have:

clinching: where punching there is meaningless, youre locked into a position where you have to play the game, if you want to use arm punches there thats up to you I guess, but its not going to do much compared to control to spin, sweep, elbow, knee, push and pull,etc. main element is control. Similar to trying to punch a guy while youre stuck in bottom mount or side control on the ground, you wont be damaging the opponent but instead giving them a means to use the space to re-adjust and put you in a worse spot

kicks which have a longer range and alot stronger on impact. The strongest body rip still pales in comparison to a basic average person's body switch kick Leg. the leg weight mores, doesnt need as much technical expertise compared to a body rip, and is longer ranged

body punch while I use it alot, isnt good compared to a regular long knee

elbows are faster and more impact damaging than hooks. Easier to cut with them too

check and pressing forward with a walkdown style is simpler and more economical to the gas tank and endurance compared to being a footwork, evasive fighter.

Also the game changes with kicks, while in boxing its not recommended to roll and evade into the power side, but its still possible. Do that with kicks invovled and the rear power kick is going to stop and movement to that side.

eg. normal to slip and roll under a cross and work from there, do that with kicks and you have a power rear kick coming in.

Yeah sure, someone crafty could set it up for a rear hook, but the speed, range, and height of it would greatly deter anyone. You can still duck a right hook, or avoid a body right hook, but a kick? Thats like a bat swinging at you to the mid section

Personally I prefer hands and boxing as a means, but compared to the list of whats available its not as good. On the other hand, rules in MT does support the clinch more where nak muays can dominate, if takedowns were allowed, it wouldnt have as much weight as it is right now. literally the stance in MT clinching is asking for a double leg.

Long time listener, first time caller.

When was the last time Conor knocked anyone out cold with his mythical punching power? was it Aldo?
every manlet he fought, but manlets arent ppl so it doesnt count

Back