Does Anyone Have Any Inside Knowledge Of Why Bellator Tape Delays Fight Cards On DAZN?

RODNEY83

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Does anyone have any inside knowledge of why Bellator continues to tape delay fight cards on DAZN? I thought the whole purpose of having a contract with a streaming service was to show fight cards live. Why would DAZN even agree to such a deal as well?

Because those are Paramount cards and DAZN is only simulcasting them. They otherwise have no hand in cards like the ones this weekend. DAZN pays for the exclusive cards and the ability to simulcast the Paramount cards. If Paramount tape delays then they don’t want DAZN showing it live effectively making the Paramount airing a replay and pointless. Even though the tape delay makes it pointless anyway to more engaged fans but that’s the reason

If that is the case, DAZN sure did not have to spend $33 million dollars a year for that kind of deal. I wonder if being able to have the rights to show Bellator via their streaming service has been a "Boom" or a "Bust" or just "Meh".

If that is the case, DAZN sure did not have to spend $33 million dollars a year for that kind of deal. I wonder if being able to have the rights to show Bellator via their streaming service has been a "Boom" or a "Bust" or just "Meh".
Don’t know. But DAZN also shows some a Bellator cards exclusively.

The more this deal plays out the more it seems like DAZN just massively overpaid for what they got.

They get like 7 events maybe a year exclusive and the rest is simulcast but can't air them live if Paramount is tape delaying it.

I remember Coker talking like this was going to clean up the mess they had with tape delays and fans could watch cards live on DAZN, not tape delayed.

As we get into year 3 it will be very interesting on what DAZN does with the Bellator deal. I can't see them picking up the two year option that is rumored to have heavy escalators in pay for each year. Honestly, I'm kind of shocked Bellator wasn't sold after the DAZN deal was signed. Maybe it was shop around and no offer worthwhile came in, who knows. Be very interesting future for Bellator if they can't come to an agreement with DAZN at the end of year 3.

The more this deal plays out the more it seems like DAZN just massively overpaid for what they got.

They get like 7 events maybe a year exclusive and the rest is simulcast but can't air them live if Paramount is tape delaying it.

I remember Coker talking like this was going to clean up the mess they had with tape delays and fans could watch cards live on DAZN, not tape delayed.

As we get into year 3 it will be very interesting on what DAZN does with the Bellator deal. I can't see them picking up the two year option that is rumored to have heavy escalators in pay for each year. Honestly, I'm kind of shocked Bellator wasn't sold after the DAZN deal was signed. Maybe it was shop around and no offer worthwhile came in, who knows. Be very interesting future for Bellator if they can't come to an agreement with DAZN at the end of year 3.
They overpaid for boxing too, that's why Canelo is struggling to get an opponent nailed down for May 5 this year because his priors have been getting so much and DAZN don't want to keep paying so much. They overpaid for everything to get a foothold in the market quickly.

Year 2, not year 3. The first Bellator DAZN card was September 29, 2018, Lima vs Koreshkov, MacDonald vs Mousasi. I forget the contract option DAZN has with Bellator, 2 years or 3 years when DAZN can pull out of the contract agreement.

DAZN gets the best cards exclusively, and simulcasts the rest. I don’t think they’re worried about the European series cards, which are the only ones on tape delay.

DAZN gets the best cards exclusively, and simulcasts the rest. I don’t think they’re worried about the European series cards, which are the only ones on tape delay.
Most of the fights on the Euro series cards out of the twenty or so fights they sometimes have are live on YouTube or the app nowadays except for the five fights they delayed for Paramount & DAZN. Still a small annoyance but I was watching the UFC at that point anyway so not the end of the world a few times per year.

They overpaid for boxing too, that's why Canelo is struggling to get an opponent nailed down for May 5 this year because his priors have been getting so much and DAZN don't want to keep paying so much. They overpaid for everything to get a foothold in the market quickly.
I did not understand why DAZN would even offer a marquee fighter a contract to fight multiple times in a year. It seems once boxers become top tier and huge money is involved, they don't fight but once a year because of all types of variables that come into play.

I did not understand why DAZN would even offer a marquee fighter a contract to fight multiple times in a year. It seems once boxers become top tier and huge money is involved, they don't fight but once a year because of all types of variables that come into play.
Canelo has generally fought in May and September to coincide with Cinco de Mayo and Mexican Independence day, only time he really strayed from that schedule was after his drugs ban and year off after the first GGG fight

Them not playing Bellator live is the reason i cancelled my subscription. Even had the grandfathered 10 dollar a month plan.

Them not playing Bellator live is the reason i cancelled my subscription. Even had the grandfathered 10 dollar a month plan.
Except for a few Euro series cards during the year, Bellator is always live on DAZN. Even on the Euro series cards 80 percent of the card was live and free on YouTube or the app.

Back