Does cardio on an empty stomach burn more fat ?

It will probably burn more fat as a percentage of the fuel used as there is no glycogen available. Overall fasted cardio tends to burn less calories as you cant perform at the same intensity or duration.
there's still glycogen available if you've eaten the day before.

there's still glycogen available if you've eaten the day before.

Beat me to it.

You store glycogen in your muscles and liver. A world class cross country skier (the elite of the elite in aerobic power) can burn through almost all of their glycogen in about 60-75mins. So it would take the average athlete 2.5+ hrs to burn through theirs and rely almost entirely on fat metabolism. Even if you could do that, you would probably bonk (complete collapse where you can barely remember your name) before you got to a state where you were relying almost entirely on fats.

The reality is that you will use some glycogen, some lactate, some fats, and very little (to none) protein, at all times. If you reduce carbs, and minimize carb intake during aerobic efforts, you'll use more fats. Unless you are highly trained or starve yourself, it's unlikely you will go into a glycogen deficient state. The reason this studies show little to no benefit is that it's really hard to use up the stored glycogen.

Last edited:
Doubt it makes a difference.

Weird how the body works though. When i was a teenager, I dreaded fasted cardio...but thought it'd help burn more fat. And it was painfully tough.

Now? I prefer to do cardio fasted. I have a much harder time running after eating anytime soon.

Weird how the body works though. When i was a teenager, I dreaded fasted cardio...but thought it'd help burn more fat. And it was painfully tough.

Now? I prefer to do cardio fasted. I have a much harder time running after eating anytime soon.

Wait 2-3 hours after eating. Gastric emptying is a thing

Wait 2-3 hours after eating. Gastric emptying is a thing

I remember being in highschool and having PE right after lunch. Once a year we had to run 2 miles around the track as fast as we could. I think I ate 4 slices of pizza that day. I have never had my body feel so heavy and sluggish in my entire life.

I remember being in highschool and having PE right after lunch. Once a year we had to run 2 miles around the track as fast as we could. I think I ate 4 slices of pizza that day. I have never had my body feel so heavy and sluggish in my entire life.

Flip side for me....

Wing gate fasted.

VO2Max fasted (tested twice in two weeks)

The look on my profs face was priceless. "if you dont eat you'll lose your glycogen and pass out and blahblah" ...ohrly?

Beat me to it.

You store glycogen in your muscles and liver. A world class cross country skier (the elite of the elite in aerobic power) can burn through almost all of their glycogen in about 60-75mins. So it would take the average athlete 2.5+ hrs to burn through theirs and rely almost entirely on fat metabolism. Even if you could do that, you would probably bonk (complete collapse where you can barely remember your name) before you got to a state where you were relying almost entirely on fats.

The reality is that you will use some glycogen, some lactate, some fats, and very little (to none) protein, at all times. If you reduce carbs, and minimize carb intake during aerobic efforts, you'll use more fats. Unless you are highly trained or starve yourself, it's unlikely you will go into a glycogen deficient state. The reason this studies show little to no benefit is that it's really hard to use up the stored glycogen.
It also depends on the intensity of the exercise for what percentage of fat/glycogen is utilized.

Lower intensity zone 1 & 2=higher percentage of fat burning, less glycogen

Higher intensity zone 4 & 5=higher percentage of glycogen, less fat.. though you will burn more fat with the high intensity exercise in the same period of time, it's less sustainable

LSD is the best for fat burning conditioning but it requires longer workouts and the discipline to stay in the desired zone

Last edited:
"Fasted" and "not currently disgesting a meal" can also be different or the same depending on who you talk to.

It's not about the stomach it really comes down to glucose in the liver. If you have fasted about 12 hours previous to running . And participate in the activity for 20 to 45 minutes and especially in the morning. You will tap into fat stores and keep your fat burning engine revved up all day. Then keep your diet clean of course But doing an exercise like burpees that incorporate more muscles is better to burn fat. Sometimes running long distance can make your body store fat. If you dont know what you're doing

Sometimes running long distance can make your body store fat. If you dont know what you're doing

You better provide a peer reviewed source for that bullshit. That's one of the most insane things I've ever read.

You better provide a peer reviewed source for that bullshit. That's one of the most insane things I've ever read.
If your body has been using carbs for energy. And then you run a long distance.
Your body will store carbs. Unless you are transitioned. If you are routinely running. It prob wont. But timing is very important for every process. Real talk

That's why they dont recommend running a few days before a drug test if you are trying to pass for weed. Bc it is stored in your fat and if you aren't careful you will end up storing what you want to burn . bc your body is confused. You have to do it right. I'm a personal trainer also

Your body will store carbs. Unless you are transitioned. If you are routinely running. It prob wont. But timing is very important for every process. Real talk

That's why they dont recommend running a few days before a drug test if you are trying to pass for weed. Bc it is stored in your fat and if you aren't careful you will end up storing what you want to burn . bc your body is confused. You have to do it right. I'm a personal trainer also

Holy fuck.....

I want to know more about passing weed tests.

You're my new favourite.

I really hope you're trolling for a laugh. There's not 1 shred of factual information in that entire post.

Being a personal trainer is nothing in of itself. Anyone could be a personal trainer. It takes a few hour course to become one.

I really hope you're trolling for a laugh. There's not 1 shred of factual information in that entire post.

Being a personal trainer is nothing in of itself. Anyone could be a personal trainer. It takes a few hour course to become one.
Give me some facts to disprove me. I'm waiting...

Back