Does Colby beat prime beat Jake Shields?

Scrap Pack brings the Boys from the 209 during pre-fight, starting problems before and after the pre-fight press conference. Also, giving him shit before weigh-ins and at the fighter hotel.

This has Colby shook, stammering while trying to deliver his pre-written lines and stick to his gimmick. He then comes out flat, gets taken down often by Jake who's an underrated wrestler and a great grappler. Colby cedes control as Jake has an incredible top game. He then loses a split decision.

Dejected, sad, Colby goes to the hospital with a broken front tooth. There he encounters an angered Nick Diaz, who drops, "Don't be scared, Homie", who then tosses a bed pan at him. Colby breaks his fake Rolex and then calls the cops.

<209Bitch>

Tell us you're not a Colby fan without telling us you're not a Colby fan

Scrap Pack brings the Boys from the 209 during pre-fight, starting problems before and after the pre-fight press conference. Also, giving him shit before weigh-ins and at the fighter hotel.

This has Colby shook, stammering while trying to deliver his pre-written lines and stick to his gimmick. He then comes out flat, gets taken down often by Jake who's an underrated wrestler and a great grappler. Colby cedes control as Jake has an incredible top game. He then loses a split decision.

Dejected, sad, Colby goes to the hospital with a broken front tooth. There he encounters an angered Nick Diaz, who drops, "Don't be scared, Homie", who then tosses a bed pan at him. Colby breaks his fake Rolex and then calls the cops.

<209Bitch>
/thread

And thanks, you saved me some typing

Yes. Shields is a very underrated fighter and he was shafted from the UFC before his time(might be the best fighter the UFC has ever cut) but his skillset wasn't enough to beat the best WWs of today.

Reactions: mkt
I'm not sure what prime Shields is. He has some nice wins on his record but a ton of losses as well.

I think Colby just outworks him. Shields wasn't a great wrestler so I doubt he's getting Colby down. Colby would just walk him down and hit him with 1000 taps and win the decision.

Mental gymnastics. You didn't actually refute his point, which is irrefutable. All 3 guys were in far better condition when they fought Shields.

Lawler and Woodley were completely shot when Colby beat them. Both were coming off consecutive losses and the only win between them ever since was an even more shot, coming off lengthy retirement Nick Diaz. Maia was also old.

Giving Colby credit for the Lawler and Woodley wins is like giving Vitor Belfort credit for beating Evander Holyfield. They are just names on a record that are divorced from the actual state of these broken down old fighters when Colby got to them.
You make decent points but c'mon, man. Maia was a fight a way removed from a title shot and Colby beat the shit out of him and comparing Woodley and Lawler to a 60 year old geriatric Holyfield was definitely pushing it.

Reactions: mkt
I'm not sure what prime Shields is. He has some nice wins on his record but a ton of losses as well.

I think Colby just outworks him. Shields wasn't a great wrestler so I doubt he's getting Colby down. Colby would just walk him down and hit him with 1000 taps and win the decision.
Yep. Jake would probably tap him back about 400 times, but Colby is the more productive striker.

You make decent points but c'mon, man. Maia was a fight a way removed from a title shot and Colby beat the shit out of him and comparing Woodley and Lawler to a 60 year old geriatric Holyfield was definitely pushing it.
Yep. Holyfield would be like the current version of Ken Shamrock coming back to MMA...except Evander has more CTE. Ken still sounds coherent.

Jake shields Striking had a way of shutting down good strikers. He was weird, pillow fisted and awkward but once he got his paws on a dude to work his game it showed just how good he was.

Call the Cops Colby absolutely decisions the shit out of Jake.

Isn't Colby just an evolution of Jake, anyway?

Shields. Absolute beast in his prime despite being boring. Fought much tougher competition than Colby. He fought guys in their primes.

Shields. Absolute beast in his prime despite being boring. Fought much tougher competition than Colby. He fought guys in their primes.

Oh this is 100%. Shields actually had some great wins against top competition. Colby's best performances are probably his losses to Usman.

Shields has bad standup but I think he's the better overall grappler, with a more proven track record (including wins over guys at MW, whereas Colby is a smaller WW). Shields just finds a way to win, even in fights where I thought going in that he would lose (Hendo as an example). Colby has great cardio but seems to cherry pick fights against former LWs, Shields actively went for tough fights against elites. I consider Shields to be the more boring fighter of the 2 also, but still think he'd win

A) Maia actually hurt and pieced Colby up in round 1 before gassing, which says a lot about Colby's pure standup when facing a guy who isn’t worried about the takedown (the same thing happened in the Maia-Usman fight too). And Maia was not completely shot but he was 40. You can live in a fantasy world where 40 isn't incredibly old for a WW, but that's not how it works in the real world.

B) Yes it would be an exaggeration to directly equate Woodley and Lawler to Holyfield - of course they weren't THAT shot, but that wasn't my point. My point was just that it's hard to credit guys for beating elderly, shot fighters. You have to draw a line.

Lawler's performance against Colby was one of the strangest performances I have seen since Tippy Toes BJ Penn. He was terrified to throw a punch even when backing Colby up and defending takedowns. He was finished as a serious fighter and subsequent fights prove it. Woodley's record around the same time speaks for his own shot-ness.

Anyway, all this nonsense isn't a serious arugment anyway. Shields clearly beat the better versions.

I think it would be pretty close but I lean slightly towards shields. could go either way though.

Back