Does Martial Arts/Acrobatics add/takeaway from wrestling

lion paw

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Did acrobatics and martial arts add or takeaway from pro wrestling. With the exception of lucha type and japanese wrestling, some wrestlers are focusing only on flips, twirls and kicks. For example, in the attitude era you had a small number of wrestlers with a martial arts background (Shamrock, RVD, Steve Blackman). Now some wrestlers are relying more so on the martial arts and flips and less on the wrestling.

Your thoughts.

Did acrobatics and martial arts add or takeaway from pro wrestling. With the exception of lucha type and japanese wrestling, some wrestlers are focusing only on flips, twirls and kicks. For example, in the attitude era you had a small number of wrestlers with a martial arts background (Shamrock, RVD, Steve Blackman). Now some wrestlers are relying more so on the martial arts and flips and less on the wrestling.

Your thoughts.
pretty sure Vince reminded me that 1-2-3 Kid had a martial arts background every Monday night on RAW.

pretty sure Vince reminded me that 1-2-3 Kid had a martial arts background every Monday night on RAW.

I didn't watch THAT far back. The reason I ask this is because a Youtuber critiques the wrestling industry pretty well and I thought about it.

Martial arts add to pro wrestling while acrobatics take away from pro wrestling.

GbkHUHs.gif

I didn't watch THAT far back. The reason I ask this is because a Youtuber critiques the wrestling industry pretty well and I thought about it.
the problem starts and ends with youtuber.

Your thoughts.

Martial Arts and Acrobatics aren't really the problem...it's the fact that too many modern rasslers don't know the meaning of restraint and spam that shit like it's a 2k game. When you do that stuff once or twice a match...it can be cool and impressive. When you do it every 30 seconds and add it in even if it doesn't make sense just because...it loses all impact, looks fake as shit...and people stop treating it as special or meaningful...then you have to keep upping the ante to the point of ridiculousness to get any reaction from a match...and it gets so ridiculous that people stop watching...which is where we are now.

Martial Arts and Acrobatics aren't really the problem...it's the fact that too many modern rasslers don't know the meaning of restraint and spam that shit like it's a 2k game. When you do that stuff once or twice a match...it can be cool and impressive. When you do it every 30 seconds and add it in even if it doesn't make sense just because...it loses all impact, looks fake as shit...and people stop treating it as special or meaningful...then you have to keep upping the ante to the point of ridiculousness to get any reaction from a match...and it gets so ridiculous that people stop watching...which is where we are now.

Finishers not being protected also plays into this.

The acrobatics doesn't necessarily hurt wrestling, but the overuse/overreliance on them and a lot of today's wrestlers unable to use proper psychology, selling, and story telling has really hurt wrestling. When you got everyone hitting their finishers multiple times or doing a million high spots in a match and jumping right back up without really selling, it makes it look ridiculous.

This. Who killed the "Kicking out of finishers" move? I want to say Cena but I could be wrong.

I also want to blame Cena....but I was out of the game during his Super-Cena days.

Used to be only the face kicking out, and rarely...

Many times the face would get distracted then hit by the heel's finisher and that was it. So even in the days of Hogan, the finisher was protected mostly, and if the face did kick out it was a major fucking pop.

Hell even the heels kicking out later on were a rare occasion was due to the face being slow to make the cover....or the ref bump...

ricky steamboat fought ninjas on their compound and i loved it.

martial arts isn't the problem,
its the ppl doing a shit ton of moves for the sake of doing moves
instead of understanding whether or not said moves even correlates with their character (and if they should do them at all),
and taking the time to do a few techniques just right and when it counts.

Personally I don't think that wrestling has been intense enough, and that's been the case for a really long time.

Having martial arts experience is great (though MMA moves look hokey), and acrobatics can be a lot of fun, but if it just turns into a showcase for that type of thing, and not simulate a fight feel with hatred and intensity, then it'll still be a shit match.

Martial Arts is not the problem it’s when they do ten super kicks in a single match when one should end it.

Acrobatics is not bad when done in moderation. Doing outside dives every match going to the top rope multiple times in a match. Everyone doing frog splashes, moonsaults and swanton bombs every match without finishing the person ruins it.

If someone does a move off the top rope it should end the match same with a super kick and ddt.

ricky steamboat fought ninjas on their compound and i loved it.

martial arts isn't the problem,
its the ppl doing a shit ton of moves for the sake of doing moves
instead of understanding whether or not said moves even correlates with their character (and if they should do them at all),
and taking the time to do a few techniques just right and when it counts.

Personally I don't think that wrestling has been intense enough, and that's been the case for a really long time.

Having martial arts experience is great (though MMA moves look hokey), and acrobatics can be a lot of fun, but if it just turns into a showcase for that type of thing, and not simulate a fight feel with hatred and intensity, then it'll still be a shit match.

Martial Arts is not the problem it’s when they do ten super kicks in a single match when one should end it.

Acrobatics is not bad when done in moderation. Doing outside dives every match going to the top rope multiple times in a match. Everyone doing frog splashes, moonsaults and swanton bombs every match without finishing the person ruins it.

If someone does a move off the top rope it should end the match same with a super kick and ddt.

Truth. It's easy to generalize but most guys now days do too much not well enough. I watched HBK and Hitman from Survivor Series 92 last night and it really shows how few moves you need to do if you can do them really fucking well. Whipping Bret into the corner looks better than what 95% of current wrestlers can do with a 10 minute match.

This. Acrobatics can be great when used cleverly. Styles has always used it well and never over relied on just the style over substance even though he was one of the best around at it. He did often and even uses it less than he used to, uses it to bring up the match. Just imo though.

Not in and of themselves......the over-reliance on them is a symptom of a larger problem. Used to be HBK or Chris Adams hit you with a superkick and that was it, now it's a move that's spammed endlessly because 3/4 of these guys can't throw a working punch. Then you have the ones who get their leg worked over for 5-10 minutes only to hit a plancha onto a group of guys waiting patiently outside the ring or 450 splash the next minute

As far as finishers go, Bill Demott is gone, his edict that your finish should only be something you can do to the Big Show should've been tossed out the door with him

Watching Jackie Chan do flips, dives, spin kicks and inventing parkour spots in one take....fuck yeah, all day son.

Watching supposed pro wrestlers try do the same in one live take, but in slow motion that looks like rehearsal.....not so much.

Back