International Does the international community have a right to intervene in Brazil's ecological policy

Lord Coke

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So as you all know the rain forest is burning. That is at least arguably due to the policy of Brazil's government. The rain forest are the lungs of the planet vital to the ecosystems of the whole worlds nations or at least that is what I keep hearing. If that is the case, isn't there the argument that the international community has the right to intervene even with military action to stop the destruction of the rain forest. Or does Brazil have the right to do what it wants with its own resources?

I think the later but I would like to hear your thoughts on this. What say you war room? Here is an article that touches on some of the issues and what Marcon has been saying
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...XH8ZBSmQlXa3RKTaRuMmcnZ7FygBlsEB67PNVGZVbfe2I
Jair Bolsonaro hopes to sabotage conservation efforts in the Amazon, leaked documents have revealed.

The Brazilian government intend to build bridge, motorway and hydroelectric plant in the jungle to “fight off international pressure” to protect the world’s largest rainforest.

The plans, leaked to political website openDemocracy, emerged as devastating fires rage through the Amazon.

Brazil’s space research centre, Inpe, has detected 72,843 fires so far this year – an 84 per cent rise compared to 2018.

The blazes have been blamed for a plume of smoke which blocked out the sun over Sao Paulo on Monday.
The leaked documents include Powerpoint slides thought to have been presented at a meeting between Brazilian government officials and local leaders in Para state, which is home to the Amazonia National Park.

During February’s meeting, according to Open Democracy, Brazilian ministers used the presentation to detail projects planned for by the region by Mr Bolsonaro’s government.

“Development projects must be implemented on the Amazon basin to integrate it into the rest of the national territory in order to fight off international pressure for the implementation of the so-called ‘Triple A’ [conservation] project,” one slide reads.

“To do this, it is necessary to build the Trombetas river hydroelectric plant, the Óbidos bridge over the Amazon river, and the implementation of the BR-163 highway to the border.”

The Triple A project is a conservation effort led by the organisation Gaia Amazonas, in collaboration with NGOs and international governments.It aims to conserve the world’s largest protected area, a corridor of rainforest 135 million hectares long stretching from the Andes mountain range to the Amazon and Atlantic ocean.
But Mr Bolsonaro, Brazil’s controversial far-right president, appears to be deliberately obstructing the conservation effort and claiming that NGOs and indigenous communities living within the Amazon are undermining the country.

The desperate efforts of indigenous communities to save the forest have recently attracted attention on social media.

One clip, which was first shared online in July, features a distressed Pataxo woman who accuses illegal ranchers of starting fires in the Amazon. It has been viewed almost five million times.

Brazil’s government is now under increasing pressure to intervene.
Ricardo Salles, Brazil’s environment minister, was booed and heckled on Wednesday while appearing at the Latin American and Caribbean Climate Week.

The meeting, which focused on climate change, was held in the city of Salvador. As Mr Salles took to the stage at the summit, he was met only with jeers.

Mr Bolsonaro on Thursday claimed his government “lacks the resources” to fight the blaze, but many environmental groups are now blaming him directly for the devastation.

Richard George, head of forests at Greenpeace, told The Independent: “The whole area around the Amazon has been highly volatile with loggers and farmers, and Bolsonaro has absolutely lit a torch under that.”

The raging wildfires, which are burning during the dry season, took hold after farmers reportedly announced a coordinated ”day of fire” on 10 August.

Mr George said: “The idea was to clear land but also to send a signal of their support for Bolsonaro, the idea being that you would see the smoke and see that they’re hard at work delivering his agenda of developing the Amazon and other forests in Brazil.

“What he has done through his words and deeds is given the go-ahead to farmers and illegal loggers, encouraging them into indigenous communities.”

Communities in and around the Amazon have had their land “stolen” and were likely to suffer “pretty serious” respiratory problems from the smoke caused by the fires, he added.

French president Emmanuel Macron on Thursday described the Amazon fires as an “international crisis”, calling on world leaders to “discuss the emergency” at the G7 summit this weekend.

“The Amazon rain forest – the lungs which produces 20% of our planet’s oxygen – is on fire,” he tweeted. “It is an international crisis.”

Last edited:
I dont see any reason why the USA shouldnt use pressure to force Brazil to act right. Isnt it on our interest to have a good environment?

The world needs that beef. Also I've been told that we will never run out of resources - sciencey stuff.

The Amazon's rain forest is unarguably to the benefit of the world.The Amazon's rain forest is unarguably Brazil's. It would be best for the world to pay a "tax" to Brazil to encourage maintenance and proliferation.

Mr George said: “The idea was to clear land but also to send a signal of their support for Bolsonaro, the idea being that you would see the smoke and see that they’re hard at work delivering his agenda of developing the Amazon and other forests in Brazil.
{<doc}

Bolsonaro is fucking trash but our environmental policies are pretty trash too.

Firebomb them until they learn their lesson imo.

The Amazon's rain forest is unarguably to the benefit of the world.The Amazon's rain forest is unarguably Brazil's. It would be best for the world to pay a "tax" to Brazil to encourage maintenance and proliferation.

This is already happening, e.g. Germany and Norway have been paying for conservation programs but now have canceled those payments in light of Bolsonaro's policy.

I agree with paying for conservation.
I do not agree with paying for not burning.

Fake news. Amazon fires are a natural process and happen all the time.
Should the international community intervene in California? Or in Spain? Maybe in Greece?
That's just a silly distraction.

This is already happening, e.g. Germany and Norway have been paying for conservation programs but now have canceled those payments in light of Bolsonaro's policy.

I agree with paying for conservation.
I do not agree with paying for not burning.

And when the president found out that they had stopped the payments, his reaction was that of he didn´t give a fuck.

Should the international community intervene in California? Or in Spain? Maybe in Greece?
The Amazon is shrinking, so even if the fires were the same sizes as before it would have a way bigger impact.

I dont see any reason why the USA shouldnt use pressure to force Brazil to act right. Isnt it on our interest to have a good environment?

How much forrest has the USA cut down again?

Trolling, I guess? I assume you know fully well why (and for what purpose) the rainforests are set on fire. This also explains why Bolsonaro is tacitly supportive.

In Portugal or Spain, you have mainly pyromaniacs setting fire to mainly 'regular' forests.

I think at this specific point in time, calling Bolsonaro the world's most dangerous man is not much of an exaggeration.

Something should be done that send a message, sanctions or tariffs

The majority of California's most destructive fires have not resulted from natural causes. Furthermore, the desiccation of California's environment isn't natural, nor is natural burning resulting from lightning strikes that causes fires which are fueled by dying trees & chaparral tolerable in most places considering where we have chosen to inhabit the land. Additionally, California doesn't want these fires. We would be more than happy to receive international help in preventing them, and we have accepted international help (as from Canada and Mexico) in fighting them. The most effective ways to prevent future fires is a matter of contention. The sabotage of conservation efforts, and the wanton burning of our forests is not. We don't allow it.

Restrict your comments to topics where you have some clue what the hell is going on.

Fires in Brazil are as common as homeless people in LA. It happened all the time before but leftist journalists wouldn't report shit because their sweethearts Dilma (impeached) and Lula (sentenced to almost 13 years in the last corruption case) were in power.
You can copy and paste all the information you want coming from lying biased "journalists" but guess what true knowledge doesn't come from biased MSM.

Last edited:
The idea that we can do whatever we want inside our own borders is so dumb and antiquated
This isn't 1468. This planet and all the countries in it are connected. What you do effects your neighbor.

Your neighbor polluting or overfishing the ocean fucks up your food supply. Dirty coal air doesn't stay inside your borders, or travels wherever the wind takes it. Your carbon emissions help to melt the glaciers that are going to sink small island nations and coastal cities.
Yes, the rest of the world should most definitely have a say in something that is going to fuck it up
The idea of putting human ideas of sovereignty and capitalism over all human life is moronic.

Considering the importance of the Amazon and Brazil, the rest of the world should be heavily invested in the well being of that forest. Honestly we all should be helping to fund the protection and upkeep of it

Back