International Does the international community have a right to intervene in Brazil's ecological policy

Oh, Trump, who just proposing slashing funding to both the US Forestry Dept and the US Parks Service, has told me how to prevent the forest fires by repeating warnings the US Forestry Dept has been issuing for the past two decades? Simultaneously he wants to ignore the other contributing factors that have been identified, or addressing them, while paying lip service to this, and casting environmentalists as the sole villains?

Maybe you should keep your comments to yourself, too.
didn't a nordic dude tell him about raking and shit?

didn't a nordic dude tell him about raking and shit?
Since some Nordic dude has no control over funding the departments that have a direct impact on whether or not towns that were part of my youth disappear in a plume of smoke, destroying the property of my great aunt and uncle among them, I don't really give a shit what some Nordic dude thinks.

Trump has mostly been a double-talking, ineffective wretch when it comes to helping our state address this problem. The burden doesn't lie on his shoulders alone, but he's part of the problem, not the solution.

So as you all know the rain forest is burning. That is at least arguably due to the policy of Brazil's government. The rain forest are the lungs of the planet vital to the ecosystems of the whole worlds nations or at least that is what I keep hearing. If that is the case, isn't there the argument that the international community has the right to intervene even with military action to stop the destruction of the rain forest. Or does Brazil have the right to do what it wants with its own resources?

I think the later but I would like to hear your thoughts on this. What say you war room? Here is an article that touches on some of the issues and what Marcon has been saying
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...XH8ZBSmQlXa3RKTaRuMmcnZ7FygBlsEB67PNVGZVbfe2I
Jair Bolsonaro hopes to sabotage conservation efforts in the Amazon, leaked documents have revealed.

That would be a no from me.

If the world govts want to pay Brazil to not develop the forest that's one thing, but it's pretty hypocritical to tell Brazil that they can't after Europe has cleared over 80% of its own lands.

That would be a no from me.

If the world govts want to pay Brazil to not develop the forest that's one thing, but it's pretty hypocritical to tell Brazil that they can't after Europe has cleared over 80% of its own lands.
And this is the crux of the moralizing issue.

Brazil's forest is so critical because other countries in the world destroyed their own for economic gain. So its hard to then demand they protect their forests so you can continue to not worry about your own.

It is one instance where a proper UN with a good and mandate could seek to get other countries to tie aid and other such transfers to 'protection of the Rainforest' so there was in fact a true economic incentive for them to do so.

Encourage conservation yes but not arm twisting.

It’s their country and they run it they way the people see fit.

There are things we can to but no direct interference.

lol at imperialism in the name of climate change. I hope they burn them to the ground and make us watch. I hope countries start lighting oil fires too.

This could be a tool that countries under sanctions could use. Just start polluting like a motherfucker. Iran should start dumping shit into the ocean.

3903874.jpg

As if Caveira in Rainbow Six Siege wasn't proof enough that Brazil sucks.

Toured the outskirts of the Amazon in Peru for a couple of days. It's fuckin beautiful. Would strongly recommend you guys visit some day.

Pretty hypocritical from the west bitching about Brazil cutting down rainforest. Lol...

But yes something should be done. Slap tariffs on their meat.

Last edited:
Fake news, its the dry season fires are more common but still around the average looking at history. Bolsonaro is stupid but he has done nothing against reserves so far and no country should have any say over foreign soild.

The thing is UN struck a commercial deal with Mercosul and France is scared of being run over with South America agriculture. Macro is playing the game and Bolsonaro is too stupid to be politically correct about it.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/145464/fires-in-brazil

As of August 16, 2019, an analysis of NASA satellite data indicated that total fire activity across the Amazon basin this year has been close to the average in comparison to the past 15 years. (The Amazon spreads across Brazil, Peru, Colombia, and parts of other countries.) Though activity appears to be above average in the states of Amazonas and Rondônia, it has so far appeared below average in Mato Grosso and Pará, according to estimates from the Global Fire Emissions Database, a research project that compiles and analyzes NASA data.

So as you all know the rain forest is burning. That is at least arguably due to the policy of Brazil's government.

No offense but that seems to me like a bad idea. The president of Brazil is basically openly encouraging the slashing and burning of the forest. His issue when it comes to protecting the Amazon rain forest isn't a lack of funds, its a lack of will.

Here I say we use the stick, not carrot. We should sanction Brazil and specifically its agricultural sector should they continue to be such terrible stewards of such an important ecosystem. If the incentive to destroy the forest is to make money off of agriculture then we should remove that incentive.

Then the rest of the world should reforest the trees that they've already harested instead of using that land for agriculture, infrastructure, business, and general living space.

This is already happening, e.g. Germany and Norway have been paying for conservation programs but now have canceled those payments in light of Bolsonaro's policy.

I agree with paying for conservation.
I do not agree with paying for not burning.

They gave money to NGOs which were rather dubious and Gvt had no control, its not so clear cut. Also amazon is just too big to burn like people think, the risk is opening new roads around the amazon, as long as Amazon has difficult access it will stay preserved.

US, China are the biggest polluters in the world so other countries are entitled to intervene?

Bolivia is suffering the worst part of the fires but nothing is being directed towards Bolivia, ever wonder why?

The idea that we can do whatever we want inside our own borders is so dumb and antiquated
This isn't 1468. This planet and all the countries in it are connected. What you do effects your neighbor.

Your neighbor polluting or overfishing the ocean fucks up your food supply. Dirty coal air doesn't stay inside your borders, or travels wherever the wind takes it. Your carbon emissions help to melt the glaciers that are going to sink small island nations and coastal cities.
Yes, the rest of the world should most definitely have a say in something that is going to fuck it up
The idea of putting human ideas of sovereignty and capitalism over all human life is moronic.

Considering the importance of the Amazon and Brazil, the rest of the world should be heavily invested in the well being of that forest. Honestly we all should be helping to fund the protection and upkeep of it

Then the rest of the world should reforest the trees that they've already harested instead of using that land for agriculture, infrastructure, business, and general living space.

They want their standard of living at the cost of others. France has no forests what so ever and no plans to reforest. China is eating resources but nobody is stopping them.

https://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News...ercosur-given-Brazils-climate-comments-599484

This is whats at stake, France scared commercially

Fake news, its the dry season fires are more common but still around the average looking at history. Bolsonaro is stupid but he has done nothing against reserves so far and no country should have any say over foreign soild.

The thing is UN struck a commercial deal with Mercosul and France is scared of being run over with South America agriculture. Macro is playing the game and Bolsonaro is too stupid to be politically correct about it.

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/145464/fires-in-brazil

As of August 16, 2019, an analysis of NASA satellite data indicated that total fire activity across the Amazon basin this year has been close to the average in comparison to the past 15 years. (The Amazon spreads across Brazil, Peru, Colombia, and parts of other countries.) Though activity appears to be above average in the states of Amazonas and Rondônia, it has so far appeared below average in Mato Grosso and Pará, according to estimates from the Global Fire Emissions Database, a research project that compiles and analyzes NASA data.

Why have the media not picked up on this?

Since some Nordic dude has no control over funding the departments that have a direct impact on whether or not towns that were part of my youth disappear in a plume of smoke, destroying the property of my great aunt and uncle among them, I don't really give a shit what some Nordic dude thinks.

Trump has mostly been a double-talking, ineffective wretch when it comes to helping our state address this problem. The burden doesn't lie on his shoulders alone, but he's part of the problem, not the solution.

Seems like Cali is goung to start burning off the underbrush - what I assume Trump meant by raking - to help control their fires. About time

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article230481684.html

Why have the media not picked up on this?
They have- it's been major news for weeks.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...e-swathes-amazon-rainforest-are-burning-video

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/08/21/amazon-rainforest-fires-record-rate.html

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/...brazil-s-president-jair-bolsonaro-67217989604

rts35wd-layout-comp.jpg

2d3db9db344d46a8a68e7f8bb797a300.jpg

Brazil-satellite-deforestation-Amazon-Bolsonaro-Galvao.jpg

alex-24-1562181877-e1562181915774.jpg

This is significantly worse than logging or wildfires in North America as each square mile of Amazon rainforest contains unique species not found anywhere else on earth. This is irreparable damage to the planet as a whole. And the fact that a goon like Bolsonaro dictates its fate while people both in Brazil and abroad defend him is proof of how immature we are as a species.

He has especially high approval here and in the Heavies too.

They have- it's been major news for weeks.
https://www.theguardian.com/environ...e-swathes-amazon-rainforest-are-burning-video

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/08/21/amazon-rainforest-fires-record-rate.html

https://www.msnbc.com/all-in/watch/...brazil-s-president-jair-bolsonaro-67217989604

rts35wd-layout-comp.jpg

2d3db9db344d46a8a68e7f8bb797a300.jpg

Brazil-satellite-deforestation-Amazon-Bolsonaro-Galvao.jpg

alex-24-1562181877-e1562181915774.jpg

This is significantly worse than logging or wildfires in North America as each square mile of Amazon rainforest contains unique species not found anywhere else on earth. This is irreparable damage to the planet as a whole. And the fact that a goon like Bolsonaro dictates its fate while people both in Brazil and abroad defend him is proof of how immature we are as a species.

He has especially high approval here and in the Heavies too.

I was referring to @DespicablePeep saying that the fires are not unusual for this time of year.

I was referring to @DespicablePeep saying that the fires are not unusual for this time of year.

Because Bolsonaro is a dolt and the left hates him. But no doubt is a comercial war, of course Amazon should be preserved but the fires today are not above what you naturally see each year.

Back