Does weed help you fight?

For training involving more 'flow' (i.e Wing Chun chi sau, certain types of grappling) it can be great.

For long range striking arts its probably a bit of a hindrance for most but again it varies and with the Diaz brothers it makes you wonder.
I think if you use regularly the body adapts then it may become negligible or even helpful if it relaxes you.
For some it just doesn't work well though.

It's proven to make your reaction speed slower but alcohol has similar effects- as long as you don't abuse it it shouldn't bring you down too bad.

I was having a debate with someone how weed makes you more passive and would hurt your abilities in a street fight. They brought up the Diaz brother.

Personally it makes me FAR more passive paranoid, fearful and tired. I enjoy it, but not for fighting. A little bit of alcohol has actuality helped me in a street fight.

How would smoking weed effect you if you got into a self defense situation?

I smoked pretty much every night while I worked security in clubs. I'd prefer not getting punched in the face, but grappling and non contact physical activity isn't too bad.

That said I don't think any intoxicant that alters or slows your mental state is a good idea when physical safety is on the line.

It was originally banned bc it helps guys sleep before they fight.

tons of fighters are high when they compete. It starts simple enough, getting stoned before you train. Then if you’re an active smoker who gets high before doing most things in life and you’re smoking before you roll or train then you’ll start to spar high too. Once your used to being high when you spar then you’re not going to want to try and fight sober since you’ve been hopped up on goofballs every round of the entire fight camp and don’t want to change your routine.

source: I coach in Oregon.

Weed would make me phisically weaker more lethargic

Weed makes it hard to keep diet in check. I wouldn’t smoke it for any benefits in fighting, but if you’re already a user and advocate of marijuana, then yes continue, just have some self control. I think it’s benefiting them in other areas of their life, that crossover to their fighting performance, not from the weed itself.

Back