Official DOOM ETERNAL Discussion

That’s a good point. Maybe I’ll avoid everything else until it comes out.
Thats what im doing. That first trailer is all i need. Good god.

YpnOBs6.gif

Dave Mustaine should commission the artists at id for the next Megadeth album. Screengrabbed an upcoming single for him. You're welcome, Dave. I call it Load from Checkpoint in Peace.

Back in classic Doom II there were a couple of levels where I thought the exit switch looked a little like Vic Rattlehead.

throughfare24-skull-switch-pink_m.jpg

I'm cool about it. At least they're not releasing it broken and promise to fix it through updates.

The first half of 2020 is STACKED.

The Last of Us 2
Cyberpunk 2077
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Doom Eternal

Those four games alone are better than any recent Fall lineup before the holidays.

And we have the PS5 to look forward to in the 2nd half of 2020.

I'm cool about it. At least they're not releasing it broken and promise to fix it through updates.

The first half of 2020 is STACKED.

The Last of Us 2
Cyberpunk 2077
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Doom Eternal

Those four games alone are better than any recent Fall lineup before the holidays.

And we have the PS5 to look forward to in the 2nd half of 2020.
Exactly why a fall release would have been perfect. Way too much to play next year.

But yeah, can’t really get too upset over a delay when it means a better product.

But yeah, can’t really get too upset over a delay when it means a better product.

Perhaps Bethesda is learning their lesson after Fallout 76 destroyed their credibility.

Didn’t even see that Doom 64 is a preorder bonus. That certainly helped ease my disappointment lol.

Doom 2016 was a huge disappointment for me.

Was a big fan of Doom 3 so I was really pumped when they first announced they were making a follow-up after all those years.

Then it came out and it felt like I was playing a Halo game. Played for 2 hours before I had enough and ditched it.

They completely ruined everything that made Doom 3 great. Removed all the horror, atmosphere and turned it into your typical fast paced sci-fi shooter.

If they are taking the same direction with Doom 5, then I have 0 interest in it.

Was a big fan of Doom 3 so I was really pumped when they first announced they were making a follow-up after all those years.

Then it came out and it felt like I was playing a Halo game. Played for 2 hours before I ditched it.

They completely ruined everything that made Doom 3 great. Removed all the horror, atmosphere and turned it into your typical fast paced sci-fi shooter.

If they are taking the same direction with Doom 5, then I have 0 interest in it.

Your disappointment in Doom 2016 was everybody else’s disappointment with Doom 3. Doom and Doom II were all about unparalleled action. All the demonic imagery and shit were just window dressing. The series is not meant to be horror genre.

Then it came out and it felt like I was playing a Halo game. Played for 2 hours before I had enough and ditched it.

<[analyzed}>

Your disappointment in Doom 2016 was everybody else’s disappointment with Doom 3. Doom and Doom II were all about unparalleled action. All the demonic imagery and shit were just window dressing. The series is not meant to be horror genre.
Just compare the reviews between Doom 3 and Doom 2016. I think the general consensus is that Doom 3 is the better game.

Doom 1 and 2 are a bit too old to be the measuring stick of what a Doom game should be like today.

But maybe you're right @TheWorm and the original idea of Doom more closely ressembles Doom 2016. I'm just not a fan of it. It feels too generic.

Might as well play Quake or Unreal Tournament or any other fast paced shooter out there.

I liked the horror aspects, storyline and atmosphere of Doom 3. But I guess some people like the more arcade type of game.

Just compare the reviews between Doom 3 and Doom 2016. I think the general consensus is that Doom 3 is the better game.

giphy.gif

That’s not how I remember the reception of those games at all. When Doom 3 came out it was generally well received yet was still overshadowed by the release of the other major FPS games that came out that year, namely Half-life 2, Halo 2, Far Cry and Unreal Tournament 2004.

When Doom 2016 came out it was praised almost universally and hailed as a “return to form” for the series.

I’d be willing to sig bet you that if a mod made a poll to see whether people prefer Doom 3 or Doom 2016 that 3 would get absolutely demolished. @Valhoven

But maybe you're right @TheWorm and the original idea of Doom more closely ressembles Doom 2016. I'm just not a fan of it. It feels too generic.

Might as well play Quake or Unreal Tournament or any other fast paced shooter out there.

I liked the horror aspects, storyline and atmosphere of Doom 3. But I guess some people like the more arcade type of game.
It bucked the trend of regenerating health, cover, reloading, all the staples of modern FPS games. It wasn't revolutionary but it was a breath of fresh air.

I think you could take away the Doom from Doom 3 and call it something completely different and no one would have noticed. There was nothing that truly tied it to the spirit of the franchise. DOOM got back to what made Doom, Doom. Non-stop action, brutal, gory, and completely over the top.

Back