Social [A**holes In The Sky] Flight Attendants Call For A National Ban List For Violent Air Passengers

Airlines should be able to ban people. Making it a law is over the top though.

There's literally nothing in the OP that suggests making a new law.

The flight attendants just want the violent offenders to actually be prosecuted by the DOJ under the current laws, and there are talks among the airlines to pool their ban lists for the unruly passengers they've banned.

There's literally nothing in the OP that suggests making a new law.

The flight attendants just want the violent offenders to actually be prosecuted by the DOJ under the current laws, and there are talks among the airlines to pool their ban lists for the unruly passengers they've banned.

yeah I get that. I’m just saying the government shouldn’t get involved since people were mentioning the no fly list. Cuz there’s literally people itt bringing that up.

Planes should not be serving alcohol, imo.

You’re trippin dawg. Getting drunk in the airport/on the plane is the move. Although all my post covid flights haven’t served alcohol which blows. Just have to get extra crunk off $30 drinks in the airport.

For those who are still behind on what the FAA define as "unruly" behavior under federal law:
  • Interfering with the duties of a crewmember violates federal law.
  • Federal Aviation Regulations 91.11, 121.580 and 135.120 state that "no person may assault, threaten, intimidate, or interfere with a crewmember in the performance of the crewmember's duties aboard an aircraft being operated."
  • The repercussions for passengers who engage in unruly behavior can be substantial. They can be fined by the FAA or prosecuted on criminal charges.
  • As part of the FAA's Reauthorization Bill (PDF) FAA can propose up to $37,000 per violation for unruly passenger cases. Previously, the maximum civil penalty per violation was $25,000. One incident can result in multiple violations.
www.faa.gov/data_research/passengers_cargo/unruly_passengers/

Note: Out of over 4,000 reported incidents this year, only one person was criminally charged by the Justice Department for knocking out a flight attendant's front teeth. The rest just got a small fine that does nothing in deterrence. Perhaps the FAA should establish a serious Minimum baseline amount rather than a rarely-reached Maximum ceiling.

Last edited:
yeah I get that. I’m just saying the government shouldn’t get involved since people were mentioning the no fly list. Cuz there’s literally people itt bringing that up.

Why shouldn't the government be involved? This isn't just some issue of the rights and powers of private businesses, it's a matter of public security and safety.
One asshole shouldn't be able to jeopardize the lives of a plane full of people, and the people on the ground. If the government can regulate who gets on a plane and what they're allowed to bring on a plane, their actions on the plane should certainly also be able to be regulated.

I was flying back from Cali once and this guy and his 4-5 friends were on the plane with him. He smelled like fucking ass. This thing that annoyed me the most is not one of this friends said shit to him. If he was my friend I would have called him on it. Which maybe they did and he just gave 0 fucks but my god it was the worst 3 hour flight I've ever been on. My nose never adapted to that smell.

You are a paying customer, there is no reason why you should suffer because of other inconsiderate passengers who break the rules that everyone must agrees to at the time of ticket purchase.

Extreme body odor that cause a nuisance to other passengers for the entirety of the flight is definitely ground for removal, unless it's a medical condition outside of anyone's control.

If you privately raise your concern to the crew before the plane takes off, they would discretely swing by to check it out. If they determine that the unbearable stench is due to bad hygiene, they would offload him according to the FAA rules instead of risking trouble once the plane is in the air.

If Someone On Your Flight Smells, Here’s What to Do

Can airlines kick someone off for body odor?
Actually, yes. “Most airlines have rules in their ‘contracts of carriage’ that allow an airline to remove a passenger if the stench is so bad that other travelers could potentially become sickened by the odor,” says David Reischer, attorney and CEO for LegalAdvice.com. “Additionally, the FAA has operating procedures that allow for passenger removal if the safety and health of other travelers are affected by the bad odor from a passenger.”

As well, as private companies (at least in the U.S.), airlines generally “do not have an absolute duty to transport you under any circumstances, even if you have a ticket,” explains Miguel A. Suro, a Miami-based attorney. “Indeed, there will be a contract of carriage between you and the airline, and it will probably contain broad language to the effect that the airline can eject you from the flight if you present any kind of problem.” Suro points to the current American Airlines Conditions of Carriage, which specifies that a passenger must “be respectful that your odor isn’t offensive (unless it’s caused by a disability or illness).”

https://www.insidehook.com/article/health-and-fitness/if-someone-on-your-flight-smells-heres-what-to-do/

Conditions of carriage

Complying with airline rules for safety

The safety and comfort of our customers and team members is our top priority. We will respond seriously to any language or behavior that threatens the well-being or functionality of our crew or any American Airlines team member. Violent or inappropriate actions may result in the denial of boarding, removal from the terminal or legal prosecution.

To ensure a safe environment for everyone, you must:
  • Allow you and your bags to be searched for explosives, dangerous weapons or banned substances.
  • Show a valid ID.
  • Understand and comply with all safety instructions.
  • Release us from responsibility for any loss, damage or expense if you do not meet the travel document requirements.
  • Behave appropriately and respectfully with other passengers, crew or any American Airlines team member.
  • Postpone your flight if you have a dangerous disease deemed transmissible by a federal public health authority.
  • Be respectful that your odor isn't offensive (unless it's caused by a disability or illness).
  • Dress appropriately; bare feet or offensive clothing aren’t allowed.
  • Not threaten the safety of the flight in any way.
  • Have the right travel documents and be allowed to travel to, from or through any countries in your itinerary.
  • Be able to sit with your seatbelt fastened.
If your physical or mental condition is such that in American's sole opinion, you are rendered or likely to be rendered incapable of comprehending or complying with safety instructions without the assistance of an attendant, American may refuse to transport you.

In addition, you may be asked to give up your seat if a government official needs space, for weather conditions requiring reduced aircraft load, or for other conditions beyond our control.

Failing to comply
We may not let you fly (temporarily or permanently) for any reason, including if you:
  • Don't obey the law
  • Are uncooperative, abusive, harassing, or show the potential to be while on board
  • Pose a risk to safety or security
  • Appear intoxicated or under the influence of drugs
  • Attempt to interfere with the flight crew or refuse to obey instructions
  • Fail to comply with American Airlines rules or policies
  • Need to be removed for your safety or the safety of other passengers or the crew
  • Have a communicable disease or virus, or if we suspect you have a communicable disease or virus
  • Are traveling with an animal that causes a delay or damage to the plane or other passengers
You may also be liable for any loss, damage or expense resulting from your conduct. For example, you may be liable for the costs if we have to divert to another city because of your conduct. Also, under U.S. law you may be liable if you assault a federal, airport or airline employee with security duties. Failing to meet passenger responsibilities is a material breach of this contract.

Last edited:
You are a paying customer, there is no reason why you should suffer because of other inconsiderate passengers who break the rules that everyone must agrees to at the time of ticket purchase.

Extreme body odor that cause a nuisance to other passengers for the entirety of the flight is definitely ground for removal, unless it's a medical condition outside of anyone's control.

If you privately raise your concern to the crew before the plane takes off, they would discretely swing by to check it out. If they determine that the unbearable stench is due to bad hygiene, they would offload him according to the FAA rules instead of risking trouble once the plane is in the air.

If Someone On Your Flight Smells, Here’s What to Do

Can airlines kick someone off for body odor?
Actually, yes. “Most airlines have rules in their ‘contracts of carriage’ that allow an airline to remove a passenger if the stench is so bad that other travelers could potentially become sickened by the odor,” says David Reischer, attorney and CEO for LegalAdvice.com. “Additionally, the FAA has operating procedures that allow for passenger removal if the safety and health of other travelers are affected by the bad odor from a passenger.”

As well, as private companies (at least in the U.S.), airlines generally “do not have an absolute duty to transport you under any circumstances, even if you have a ticket,” explains Miguel A. Suro, a Miami-based attorney. “Indeed, there will be a contract of carriage between you and the airline, and it will probably contain broad language to the effect that the airline can eject you from the flight if you present any kind of problem.” Suro points to the current American Airlines Conditions of Carriage, which specifies that a passenger must “be respectful that your odor isn’t offensive (unless it’s caused by a disability or illness).”

https://www.insidehook.com/article/health-and-fitness/if-someone-on-your-flight-smells-heres-what-to-do/

would have never thought that good to know for next time. I will be saying something.

For people who claim to hold property rights uber alles, these libertarian types sure do get awful pissy when they're told what to do on someone else's property.

would have never thought that good to know for next time. I will be saying something.

I think air travel would be so much more civilized again if everyone actually read the rules before their flight, and realize it's federal aviation law, not mere suggestions. :)

Before the plane take off, perhaps the flight crew should give a firm reminder over the intercom (along with a slideshow on the entertainment screens) on the most common violations as well as the penalty for it, that way there is no misunderstandings. If anyone disagrees, they can fuck right off while the plane is still on the ground, rather than be duct-taped to their seat. :)

Hell, it appears that some of the people in this very thread actually believe that it's somehow acceptable to argue with the flight attendants in regards to the Conditions of Carriage that they had already been informed of at the time of ticket purchase. There should be zero argument mid-flight about any of the rules. What the flight crew tells the passengers are lawful instructions that must be complied, not optional suggestions to be ignored.

When an unruly passenger is banned from a flight, 100% of the time it's for violating the rules that they themselves have agreed to, but then refuses to comply once aboard. Sometimes it's intentional, other times it's out of sheer ignorance, neither are acceptable.

Last edited:
there should be a "no alcohol fly list." in order to get served in an airport or on a plane, you need a clean record. if you are unruly, you lose those privileges.

people getting smashed in airport bars and even during flights is a major contributor to these outbursts.

as someone who flies a lot, this is good news. if you can't handle yourself in society you don't deserve to be in it. we all have horror stories of imbeciles on planes. may they take the bus to cross the ocean. fuck them.

Yeah, traveling to US back in the day, I had to spend 6 hours + next to a lady that pissed her self.
Crying how she lost all her money in a divorce. Not violent or dangerous, but drunk and pissing her self.
If you are out traveling do act like a freaking grown up. Its not that hard.

Yeah, traveling to US back in the day, I had to spend 6 hours + next to a lady that pissed her self.
Crying how she lost all her money in a divorce. Not violent or dangerous, but drunk and pissing her self.
ugh

Reactions: Isa

Sounds like she was trying to invite you to the mile high club.
<GOT2>

Reactions: Isa
I thought there was one since 9/11.
That's a Federal no fly list. Each airline can also ban people individually who are a problem but not a suspected terrorist by the government.

Reactions: JSN
There should be a severe punishment, but an automatic permanent ban for 1st occurence?

Possible.

There should be a small committee of both law enforcement and airline employees that are presented evidence of each situation, not just eyewitness testimony but also video & audio, to determine if a 1-year ban, 5-year ban, 10-year ban, or permanent ban would be appropriate in addition to possible federal charges being pressed.

If its one of the shorter time periods of the ban, a 2nd sitation automatically results in a lifetime ban.

What is your definition of "causing trouble?" Not wearing a piece of cloth over your face at all times?

Yes, being a nuisance and disregarding other peoples safety on an airline during the pandemic would qualify as causing trouble.

Yes, being a nuisance and disregarding other peoples safety on an airline during the pandemic would qualify as causing trouble.
Do you believe that masks stop covid from spreading in a room with other people?

You don't need to give them a life preserver. Remember, in the unlikely event of a water landing your seat can be used as a flotation device.
The thought of clutching to dear life on something that's been probably impregnated with thousands of Packer fans beer and bratwurst farts....

Back