Drone/Doom/Sludge/Stoner Rock appreciation thread

Darwinist

Super Simian
@Gold
Reaction score
Recently got into this kind of stuff in a major way, like something clicked in my head and I finally "got it". No, no marijuana involved, I just somehow developed an appreciation for the obsession with guitar tone and the slow tempos.

Any other fans of Boris, Sunn O))), Earth, Electric Wizard, Neurosis, Sleep, Rwake etc. in here? Any suggestions of where I should go from there in exploring this stuff?

Some of my favorites

[YT]qcLic3qg-90[/YT]

[YT]BnsjYTw9j6s[/YT]

[YT]Gs6AjuzJJNk[/YT]

[YT]SmdGcTQ6pkY[/YT]

A pretty neat retrospective on Down's NOLA, which is turning 20 today.

http://www.stereogum.com/1831794/nola-turns-20/franchises/the-anniversary/

Down united Anselmo with Eyehategod’s Jimmy Bower, Crowbar’s Kirk Windstein, and Corrosion Of Conformity’s Pepper Keenan, and suddenly tens of thousands of Pantera fans were familiar with three essential bands of the Southern metal underground. Eyehategod, Crowbar, and CoC had put out a half dozen great records between them by the time NOLA dropped, but beyond their Louisiana backyard, they hadn’t found significant commercial success. With the dude who sang “Walk” behind the mic, they had a top 40 hit and spent six weeks on the Billboard albums chart. For casual metalheads, the Deep South was finally on the map.

I´d never really thought about the importance of Down in raising the profile of the Southern scene, and I am practically ashamed to admit I nevern listened to NOLA back in the day despite being a huge Pantera fan at the time.

[YT]FBLbrJxGtro[/YT]

If you haven't been listening to, AND LOVING, the new Magic Circle album then you are a wimp and a poseur and you need to leave the hall.

Holy shit this is awesome. Thank you for posting, this is definitely going into heavy rotation!

I don't get Sunn O)) at all. The song you posted sounded ok but what I've heard previously left me asking WTF is this. I don't remember the album it was but it was like all static noise. Like the snow on the tv but just at lower volume and drawn out(slower) over ten mins. Like Xastuers dark ambient shit.

I need something slow, heavy, full of high gain, interestingly repetitive riffs and vocals that are not SUPER clean. Electric Wizard's Dopethrone and Supercoven as examples. Psychedelic but more metal than rock.

Holy shit this is awesome. Thank you for posting, this is definitely going into heavy rotation!

Yea it's great. Pretty sure I posted their fist album a while back, but either way you need to get that one too. What's crazy is it's a group of guys who primarily play in hardcore punk bands, but they also have a genuine love of metal and put out some amazing shit like this.

you called Darwin?

Spiritual Beggars
Angel of Betrayal

Candlemass

I like it, but I'm not very knowledgeable. My favorite track for this stuff (holy shit the guitar) is Ebony Tears by Cathedral.

I need something slow, heavy, full of high gain, interestingly repetitive riffs and vocals that are not SUPER clean. Electric Wizard's Dopethrone and Supercoven as examples. Psychedelic but more metal than rock.

I´d check out Windhand if I was you. They have a bit of a grungy flavor to them as well. Very Alice in Chains-ish, but still very much doom.

[YT]XC0MQog6Omg[/YT]

id consider them more progressive death/heavy metal, but they do have songs that drift off into sludge and even doomier territory

defining bands in metal is so wishy washy though, since theres like a million different sub genres with alot crossing over into each other, so i guess our definitions vary but we can both agree they are an awesome band

speaking of which, i completely forgot about fleshpress!

[YT]6Sn9NTvd8m4&feature=related[/YT]

finnish doom/sludge

and thorr's hammer (female vocalist btw)

[YT]iYWGiNLbmhs&feature=related[/YT]

Holy fuck, that THORR'S HAMMER.
I'll be spending quite a bit of time itt.
Quality bump

Thanks Yeahbee, really liked that Candlemass song! They will go on my list for sure.

I'm going to Roadburn in April ! Absolutely cannot wait to see Neurosis, Amenra, Skepticism, Dark Buddha Rising, Orannsi Pazuzu, Pentagram, and tons of other doom/sludge/drone/stoner bands :D

Seeing Sleep in San Francisco in March. Can't wait!!!

do the melvins count?

i honestly cant find any of the houdini album on youtube. oh well.

[YT]9hTLQ33yELg[/YT]

SubRosa

do the melvins count?

i honestly cant find any of the houdini album on youtube. oh well.

Not only do they count, they have been a huge influence on just about every band I posted in the OP.

The band Boris has specifically mentioned that they are named after the Melvins song.

[YT]OC8rtCHcV4I[/YT]

46 pages I ain't gonna read, but if Orange Goblin hasn't had a mention they definitely should.

Seeing Sleep in San Francisco in March. Can't wait!!!

Lucky you!

On the live tip, any of you guys going to Roadburn Festival next year? The lineup is nothing short of insane.

RB-2016-Converge.jpg

If things weren't so up in the air in my life right now(I may be switching jobs soon) that I don't know if I can make it, I´d have bought tickets already.

candlemass, orange goblin, sleep, nadja, isis, and if oyu like black/doom, check out samael- worship him

[YT]kHxiouKy8Ho[/YT]

Also, even though it's long been and gone now, Phil Anselmo and the Illegals didn't get much attention or respect in the places I was roaming at the time. I thought that album (Walk through exits only) was fuckin brilliant.

Converge is an awful band. Saw them live with Hatebreed years ago and couldn't believe my ears. I have contributed quite a bit to this thread, and dug a lot of what others have posted -but Converge is fucking terrible.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

[Yt]7wcbwS5Y4UQ[/YT]

[Yt]HMfcBwjszzQ&feature=related[/YT]

[YT]cdJ3QK6uUxU[/YT]

[YT]IgJdLr6uU80[/YT]

Converge is an awful band. Saw them live with Hatebreed years ago and couldn't believe my ears. I have contributed quite a bit to this thread, and dug a lot of what others have posted -but Converge is fucking terrible.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

I´ve never taken the time to listen to them enough to form an opinion. Most of the post-hardcore stuff is not really something I like, with some notable exceptions.

I do know, however, that Kurt Ballou is an amazing producer. So many albums I love have been recorded by him. And a lot of people whose tastes in music I respect seem to worship this band.

All bands have their off nights, maybe you just caught them on one of them?

^^Love the snare sound in that Isis song. Isis always has top-notch production.

Been a fan of theirs for quite some time. It's basically though them and Neurosis that I

Going to see Ghost this Friday!
How was it?

And man is that band getting huge.

Just came across these tracks my accident on Youtube. Had no idea these two bands had ever recorded material together. Although perhaps not the most original tracks ever commited to tape, they are quite impressive given that they only got two days of studio time to write and record them. Low Tide in particular is really nice.

[YT]y7TUnZXEVxM[/YT]

[YT]Rq8LPtEle_4[/YT]

All bands have their off nights, maybe you just caught them on one of them?

I think it's more a case of me not liking them at all. Their music was a wall of repetitive noise.

It's funny that so many 'hardcore' fans rag on a band like Hatebreed but back a band like Converge.

It's all just opinion, but still.

oh shit didnt even notice spiritual beggars was posted in here, props :icon_chee

Some of the best psych-tinged blues rock out there. All dem bitches...

[YT]Vc6boofkkM8[/YT]

Came back to this thread specifically
to respond to this post.

I got exactly what you need.
tumblr_lw66ybzHvl1qztmnoo1_500.gif

Hopefully you come across this, cause I think
it's perfectly suitable for your description.
I love Electric Wizard and often times wish
that there were more a space rock/psych element
to metal. Tool did a decent job at this. So did
bands like Boris and OM. But Bardo Pond is like
an 8ball of heavy psych to the dome.

Lmk if you dig em

REALLY liked that Nadja song once I found a version of it with decent sound quality. Thanks!

anyone listen to the new Stara Rzeka album yet?

If you haven't been listening to, AND LOVING, the new Magic Circle album then you are a wimp and a poseur and you need to leave the hall.

check out nadja-touched (one of my fav albums ever) also, i tried finding the song incubation on youtube but twas a no go, and np :icon_chee

im silly stay demons is on touched as well :redface:

14 posts to get to Mastodon? This thread is on the brink of fail.

For the threadsave

i used to be in a band that played isis/neurosis stuff. played with electric wizard. definatly should check out cult of luna, red sparrows, pelican. lost a bit of its appeal when i stoped the weed but still can listen to albums like oceanic and apretiate just how good it is.

I completely love Mastodon, and I know that they are influenced by many of the bands mentioned in this thread(especially Neurosis) but I felt they fell a bit outside of the genres being discussed being more uptempo. But if you want to include them, feel free.

Fantastic band.

mastodon isn't part of the ts listed genre

march of the fire ants is an awesome song however :redface:

Mastodon are a sludge metal band

EDIT:

And of course no music thread is complete without THE stoner rock band.:redface:

I love this fan video, always thought this song had a sludge feel to it if you follow the beat of the bass instead of the drums. Has a real plodding feel to it.

Mastodon are a sludge metal band

id consider them more progressive death/heavy metal, but they do have songs that drift off into sludge and even doomier territory

defining bands in metal is so wishy washy though, since theres like a million different sub genres with alot crossing over into each other, so i guess our definitions vary but we can both agree they are an awesome band

speaking of which, i completely forgot about fleshpress!

[YT]6Sn9NTvd8m4&feature=related[/YT]

finnish doom/sludge

and thorr's hammer (female vocalist btw)

[YT]iYWGiNLbmhs&feature=related[/YT]

Since people are posting Explosions In The Sky and Mogwai, might as well throw out Sigur R

Back