Dropping a weight class

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
Does anyone have any resources for mma fighters looking to drop a weight class?

I’m 5’4 or 5’5 and about 155-158 lbs. I currently fight at 135 but feel like I would be my best at 125.

I just don’t know how to do it. I love food and I’m so hungry after training twice a day everyday.

I’m basically built like Ray borg, John Dodson or John Lineker. I really don’t like how these midgets were forced to move up to 135, when clearly they would be better at 125

I’m 5’4 or 5’5 and about 155-158 lbs. I currently fight at 135 but feel like I would be my best at 125.

I just don’t know how to do it. I love food and I’m so hungry after training twice a day everyday.

I’m basically built like Ray borg, John Dodson or John Lineker. I really don’t like how these midgets were forced to move up to 135, when clearly they would be better at 125

What's your fat percentage at the moment, if it's already low and your obviously doing a water cut to get down to 135, your looking at cutting muscle mass. You'll need to go on a calorie reduced diet and chuck in some extra cardio, nothing eats up your muscles quicker than too much cardio.......

What's your fat percentage at the moment, if it's already low and your obviously doing a water cut to get down to 135, you’re looking at cutting muscle mass. You'll need to go on a calorie reduced diet and chuck in some extra cardio, nothing eats up your muscles quicker than too much cardio.......
Yep I think I need to just do a shitload of cardio and maintain strength as best I can.
Idk my body fat but I imagine it’s somewhere between 12-14%

Yep I think I need to just do a shitload of cardio and maintain strength as best I can.
Idk my body fat but I imagine it’s somewhere between 12-14%

You could cut a little more fat but it's still not going to be enough to get you to that safe water cut target weight walk around.

So get on that bike and adjust that diet, sorry......

This is something I'd probably ask your coach/team about for guidance. Are you even fast enough to handle the speed of a pro 125er ? Even if you lost 8% of your currentweight in muscle/fat you'd still be almost 20lbs over the weight class.

This is something I'd probably ask your coach/team about for guidance. Are you even fast enough to handle the speed of a pro 125er ? Even if you lost 8% of your currentweight in muscle/fat you'd still be almost 20lbs over the weight class.
I used to fight at flyweight lol. I put on a bunch of muscle so it’s pretty hard now.. just gotta lose it

You should just log in how much food you are eating for a week. Don't change your regular habits. See how much you are consuming. For your height and weight vs energy expenditure. You are supposed to eat around 2700-3000 calories a day or around 21000 a week. Just compare your diet vs that estimate then start shaving off a few hundred calories a day with simple dietary changes. You don't need to crash diet but you just need to implement certain lifestyle changes. Just look at your weekly food log to see how much you are actually consuming and where you can optimize your food intake. Be honest with the liquid consumption and snacking when you are logging it down. You aren't fat so it's just the matter of shaving some calories off your diet or increasing your cardio. There is no real magic. Increasing cardio might increase your appetite though.

Change simple stuff like no more sugar in coffee or take diet soda. Start eating food that are low calorie but high in volume. Try to have more strawberries or any type of berries. They are rather low calorie vs how much volume they are. You can add some melon too. If you like chips then you might have to switch to popcorn. If you like bread then you have to switch out to a low carb alternative.

You should just log in how much food you are eating for a week. Don't change your regular habits. See how much you are consuming. For your height and weight vs energy expenditure. You are supposed to eat around 2700-3000 calories a day or around 21000 a week. Just compare your diet vs that estimate then start shaving off a few hundred calories a day with simple dietary changes. You don't need to crash diet but you just need to implement certain lifestyle changes. Just look at your weekly food log to see how much you are actually consuming and where you can optimize your food intake. Be honest with the liquid consumption and snacking when you are logging it down. You aren't fat so it's just the matter of shaving some calories off your diet or increasing your cardio. There is no real magic. Increasing cardio might increase your appetite though.

Change simple stuff like no more sugar in coffee or take diet soda. Start eating food that are low calorie but high in volume. Try to have more strawberries or any type of berries. They are rather low calorie vs how much volume they are. You can add some melon too. If you like chips then you might have to switch to popcorn. If you like bread then you have to switch out to a low carb alternative.
Thanks. Yeah I’m currently eating and snacking quite a bit because I just came off a weight cut. lol. Gotta be more disciplined slightly everyday.

Discipline and big water cuts are the answer. It is not going to be fun though.

If you are any sort of serious fighter trying to cut to a lower weight class you for sure should not be drinking diet soda or eating popcorn at all during your training camp. Only drink water. Coffee is fine as long as its black. Popcorn? like with butter and salt? lol no.

If you are any sort of serious fighter trying to cut to a lower weight class you for sure should not be drinking diet soda or eating popcorn at all during your training camp. Only drink water. Coffee is fine as long as it’s black. Popcorn? like with butter and salt? lol no.
lol People are humans. They snack. Realistically if someone is snacking on chips. Popcorn with no butter is roughly 100-150 calories for a big bowl. I can tell you never diet before. You can tell someone to eat a burger patty and a cup of fruit. Chicken/rice only. They will drop weight but it’s just caloric restriction and not reasonable.

He is talking about dropping weight so he can make 125 again. He isn’t talking about what he needs to eat during a fight camp.

Last edited:
Back