Dry Firing

Cerberus87

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I took a pistol class yesterday, it exposed me to a lot of new things. One of the main things the instructor put heavy emphasis on is the importance of dry firing. You guys dry fire regularly? If so, any specific drills or methods?

Not regularly, but I put a coin at the tip of a barrel and try to pull the trigger without making it fall.

Get some snap caps/dummy rounds and make sure you practice safe dry fire techniques. Ammo in a separate room, double and then triple check you don't have any live rounds in the gun, mag or near you.

Just don't do it with a revolver without snap caps. I've been told it will mess them up after a while.

I have a LaserLyte for "not work" and I may get a SIRT pistol in the future, for home use. I love dry firing; be safe and don't get sloppy.

Bringing your pistol into eye alignment repeatedly without firing is an excellent muscle memory technique. just pick a spot on a wall.

Dry-firing yes!
<20>

Dry-fucking, no!

<Ellaria01>

I personally don't feel a great benefit to traditional dry firing training where you perfect holding the gun/sights perfectly stead while squeezing the trigger on an empty champer (if safe for your gun) or dummy caps. It's perfectly easy to do when you know there's no bang, and hasn't transfered over to me when I know there's recoil coming.

I have however gotten a huge benefit from dry firing dummy caps in 2 other areas tho. One is working on my safe draw to accurate shot time when pulling from my iwb holster. Triple check it's a snap cap in the chamber, and draw as you would for speed with the shirt pull and build muscle memory. Line up for point in the wall and pull. You'll get to see if you're drifting through, pulling too soon, or if you're indeed getting squared up and firing the shot you'd want to if you ever had to in real life.

I have some recoil anticipation problems when I shoot rifle. If I'm at the range with a buddy, I'll ask him to load my 7mm rem mag. Then I don't know if it's the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd shot. It'll show me exactly what I'm doing wrong. Fixing is another matter, but excellent for diagnosis. Worked very well for my handgun and I'm definitely a better target shooter for it.

I personally don't feel a great benefit to traditional dry firing training where you perfect holding the gun/sights perfectly stead while squeezing the trigger on an empty champer (if safe for your gun) or dummy caps. It's perfectly easy to do when you know there's no bang, and hasn't transfered over to me when I know there's recoil coming.

I have however gotten a huge benefit from dry firing dummy caps in 2 other areas tho. One is working on my safe draw to accurate shot time when pulling from my iwb holster. Triple check it's a snap cap in the chamber, and draw as you would for speed with the shirt pull and build muscle memory. Line up for point in the wall and pull. You'll get to see if you're drifting through, pulling too soon, or if you're indeed getting squared up and firing the shot you'd want to if you ever had to in real life.

I have some recoil anticipation problems when I shoot rifle. If I'm at the range with a buddy, I'll ask him to load my 7mm rem mag. Then I don't know if it's the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd shot. It'll show me exactly what I'm doing wrong. Fixing is another matter, but excellent for diagnosis. Worked very well for my handgun and I'm definitely a better target shooter for it.
Do you double plug? I found when I started, I had some recoil sensitivity, but when I started wearing plugs under my cups, it helped immensely.

Do you double plug? I found when I started, I had some recoil sensitivity, but when I started wearing plugs under my cups, it helped immensely.

I can try that out. I think mine is due to the shoulder jolt. Grew up having to shoot 12ga slugs hunting deer. So I think shooting those since age 12 is where my problem began and bad habits formed I've been trying to shake since.

I'm still a decent shot, but my shoulder subconsciously pushing forward is definitely my #1 cause of fliers.

Back