Movies DUNE: PART TWO (Passes $600 Million Worldwide; Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen DUNE: PART TWO, how would you rate it?

• Total voters
Will be interesting if they adapt sequel dune messiah

take this for what it is worth but some of my film industry friends insist that Messiah has already been greenlit. the only thing that could change that is if Dune 2 bombed, which it clearly won't

Just watched it at the imax. Thought it was brilliant. Definitely get what people are saying about the casting, but didn't bother me too much. Thought Walken could have been cast better though. The baron was probably my favourite character across both films. He's mad, big fan of him.

Even though most critics are saying they prefer part 1 slightly it this, the impressions from online forums seem a lot more growing than part 1.

I'm guessing because this has more big action in it?

Maybe it's like comparing The Two Towers and Return of the King to Fellowship. Most consider Fellowship to be the best of the LOTR trilogy, but the latter two is where the epic action happens.

Highly enjoyed, and was intrigued by the things they chose to include, change or discard, but overall i found the first film to be slightly more compelling

They'll do the 2nd book (Dune Messiah) but leave it at that. The stuff that follows goes batshit insane at times

Children would be a spectacular film.

Venture far and wide and find the biggest screen in the land, they said, and I did.

Choose a time in the morning when the ruffians won't be there with their girlfriends and cellphones they said, and I did.

And it was glorious.

This was easily a 9/10 for me, it was so good it elevated Part One, which I already loved.

Denis Villeneuve is a genius.

This was a great watch. It is a MUST to see it in the theater.
It was just a really cool movie experience with the visuals and the sound. I have never read the books or seen the original movie, so this is all I have to go on. I can tell that this story world is huge, and they've done a pretty good job at giving us the scale of this universe without making it overwhelming. The storytelling is done very well.

I agree to an extent with the criticisms about characters and their individual developments. The prophecy is a big part of the movie, and it feels like the characters are just following a prophecy, so you're not really getting a chance to see what they're thinking and why they're doing what they're doing. I think Zendaya and Timothee are more than capable actors, but they weren't given much room to be characters outside what they were "destined" to be. The overall story, visuals and pace makes up for it though.

As big as this movie world is, I feel like it would have been better as a series when it comes to the storytelling part of it. I wish they had released something on television though, much like Disney is doing with Star Wars and Marvel projects to help fill in some of the questions and backstory that you can't get on film. The mystical side of this and the 'water of life' kind of stuff doesn't really land well because you just have to accept it all as magic basically.

There is one thing that is starting to bother me about this series the more I think of it. I think you could run this out to 6 films but Villenevue likely won't be the guy who dedicates a dozen years of his life running it out. He is doing the series right but can someone get a big name top of the line director to commit that much time to one project? We couldn't even get Fincher to do more than two seasons of Mindhunter. I am glad he is the director and he is the only director that is doing it justice. Maybe Gilliam or Fincher could do good runs too but this is the guy and the question is does he want to be "The Guy who did Dune".

There were some noticeable changes from the book but overall I loved it. 9/10 rating for me and I think I slightly prefer the first one but they are neck and neck. The dialogue and score was just a bit stronger in the first flick.

Paul riding the giant sandworm was absolutely awesome. They really nailed that scene.

Zendaya was a bit better than expected but overall still sort of meh. Chalamet on the other hand killed it. His speech to everyone in the south was really good.

The final scene felt… rushed. Not having Alia being born is a big difference but I understand how that would have been difficult to pull off in a movie.

Just got back from IMAX. I feel bad for anyone who sees this any other way. At the very least, go out to the cinema. What a glorious piece of work. Denis did it, that beautiful sonuvabitch. He stuck the landing on Part 2. Easily a worthy companion followup to 1, which was also great. Once again manages to pace a nearly 3 hour film in such a way that I never checked my phone. The whole monochrome sequence in the middle was amazing. After all the covid bullshit & delays, this ended up being worth the wait. Outstanding.

Really enjoyed the movie, but some people are saying it's the best epic ever. Better than LOTR and trilogies like that. LOL nah.

Christopher Walken is miscast as the Emperor. I feel an actor like Patrick Stewart or Gary Oldman would be better suited.

Couple of things:

1. How did the northern Fremens get to the Southern pole region in just a few hours on worms?
  2. The final battle is anti-climactic. The Freman just easily kick the shit out of everyone and most of it happens offscreen.
  3. Baron Harkonnen is supposed to be this pedophilic hedonist, but they didn't show that at all. Is it because they didn't want to portray pedophilia?
He also is gay. Perhaps the studio heads didn't want to portray being gay in any negative light? Frank Herbert's son was gay and supposedly he had a falling out with his son because of it. Some say it affected his writing.

4. The movie doesn't do enough to show why the spice melange is so essential in the universe and how they need it for space navigation. In the books and original series, they showed the Guild Navigators and the fish people in tanks. They completely ignored all this in this movie.

A casual person who hasn't read the books will understand none of this. They will not know the spice: a. Is like the gasoline of space. b. Extends life. c. Gives enhanced unconsciousness d. Has narcotic properties where you get addicted and will die if you don't consume it.

Much like the first, I both fully enjoyed and didn't completely understand the movie; 9/10. Regardless, I hope there is a third.

Personally, These movies were really long so I fell asleep briefly during both part 1 and 2, but still rate them highly. Wifey is super nerdy about this series so I tag along, but I just can’t be bothered to give too much of a fuck about anything from Hollywood.

The cinematography was unbelievable.. 11/10.
The audio/soundtrack was amazing.. 11/10.

This was our first 4DX movie, definitely something I’ve never experienced except for maybe at Universal Studios in Orlando. The seats slamming you all over the place, air movement, water mist, 360’ audio, definitely something to check out at least once if you’ve never been through it. I’m not sure this film was the best showcase for 4DX, but definitely no complaints.

Collectively, 9/10 for this series, and I guess I’m automatically enrolled for another 2.5-3 hours when part 3 comes out in 2027.

This is rated 9.0 with 74K votes on IMDB. Ranked 12th in IMDB top 250 now.

The highest film to be ranked that high since the The Dark Knight.

Last edited:
This was our first 4DX movie, definitely something I’ve never experienced except for maybe at Universal Studios in Orlando. The seats slamming you all over the place, air movement, water mist, 360’ audio, definitely something to check out at least once if you’ve never been through it. I’m not sure this film was the best showcase for 4DX, but definitely no complaints.
This I will never do again, it was an annoying gimmick. I left the chair exhausted, which felt like a waste of a large chair that could instead of just been really comfortable.

The entire experience was pretty expensive, it cost me 70 bucks CAD to take my dad to see it and we didn't even have snacks (I had coffee). They charged me three bucks to buy my tickets online, what the hell was that?

This absolutely has to be seen in the theater but they did a pretty bad job on selling the experience, in general I'll be much happier to watch at home.

Next time I’ll do regular IMAX, I can do without getting tossed around (and out of) in my seat. Gimmick is a good word for 4DX, although I’m still glad to have experienced it at least once.

This I will never do again, it was an annoying gimmick. I left the chair exhausted, which felt like a waste of a large chair that could instead of just been really comfortable.

The entire experience was pretty expensive, it cost me 70 bucks CAD to take my dad to see it and we didn't even have snacks (I had coffee). They charged me three bucks to buy my tickets online, what the hell was that?

This absolutely has to be seen in the theater but they did a pretty bad job on selling the experience, in general I'll be much happier to watch at home.

Back