International Dutch gov. looking at banning investors buying property in some cities (rent related)

What do our Canadian posters think ? I have read the occassional article about Canadians complaining that rich Chinese have priced out the locals in Vancouver. Don't recall reading something similar in the US , i.e. rich foreigners pricing out Americans.
Yes yes yes. Vancouver BC is fucked. There's no way our property should be the price it is.

Must be one of the reasons birth rates are so high in the safe, well-sheltered 3rd world with their tin roofed shacks and mud huts
The type of shelter doesn't matter as long as it is regarded as safe within the cultural context. If you don't pay your rent you are going to end up homeless, which is generally regarded as extremely unsafe in the western world.

As part of their re-election campaign, the incumbent Liberal party of Canada is saying they will outlaw sight unseen buying up of property for the same reason. I'm all for it. But the main thing we need is for more housing to be built. Plain and simple.
More affordable housing to be built, yes. I was in the new home construction industry for 17 years and big builders are raising prices while lowering wages of tradespeople. Think about that. The average plumber, electrician and HVAC guy (typically the mechanical trades earning the highest wages) are making the same as 10 years ago while the houses they're working on are demanding a higher price year after year.

Good for the Dutch. At least they have the balls to do something instead of letting Chinese and Israeli investors buy all their properties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back