Dutch kickboxing

You're correct, but it's also based on a misunderstanding that these are different techniques. There's a perception that the kicks you see in MMA are targeting the knee, they aren't, they target the thigh. Jon Jones explicitly says this in his tutorial with Winklejohn on how to do the technique. It was really weird watching Joe Schilling talking about how the move shouldn't be allowed not realising that he does it.
I have no idea about the techniques in MMA. There seem to be a lot of discussion about the oblique kick in mma forums. I see no use of targeting the knee in Muay Thai. The opponent would most likely just lift the leg anyway.

I have no idea about the techniques in MMA. There seem to be a lot of discussion about the oblique kick in mma forums. I see no use of targeting the knee in Muay Thai. The opponent would most likely just lift the leg anyway.

Yeah the oblique kick is just a knee teep, but f11 won't have it

You're correct, but it's also based on a misunderstanding that these are different techniques. There's a perception that the kicks you see in MMA are targeting the knee, they aren't, they target the thigh. Jon Jones explicitly says this in his tutorial with Winklejohn on how to do the technique. It was really weird watching Joe Schilling talking about how the move shouldn't be allowed not realising that he does it.

Regardless of how effective anyone thinks this technique would be at the highest Levels of Muay Thai.

This Is clearly NOT the same technique as a thigh teep.

Apart from the poor posture and execution, the main difference i see is that the conract is with the middle of the foot rather than balls of foot.

Apart from the poor posture and execution, the main difference i see is that the conract is with the middle of the foot rather than balls of foot.

That is the only difference, it's the same kick. I've been hit with 'both' many times. The effect is identical.

I disagree that the oblique kick is the same as the teep to the thigh. One of my first muay thai coaches had only trained in savate and kickboxing. He was one of the coaches at our gym and we students had no idea back then on the difference between those kickboxing styles. This was in the early 90's.

We did train the oblique kicks sometimes. I remember when I went to Thailand the kru's didn't like that technique at all. They wanted me to do the teep instead, and preferably to the body instead of the leg. I would say the difference between an oblique kick is that the force comes downward like a stomp on the leg while the power from the teep comes more from the front/bottom.

I totally disagree about the oblique kick to the knee (in MMA) being the same as the teep to the leg (in MT).

The first has the purpose of injuring (overextending) the knee, I don't care what anyone says, and is a fucking bitch move in sparring. If you pull that fucking shit off expect gloves to come off. I am not like that but I would instantly stop sparring with anyone who pulls that shit with intent. Fuck you.

The second has the purpose of unbalancing and keeping at bay, not injuring the knee, I don't care what anyone says. I personally don't use it because it could be mistaken for the first AND I think it is still dangerous for the knee. When it happens to me in sparring I ask not to do it again.

In any case the lines can be blurred on the execution, but on the intent it is not the same thing at all. I don't what anybody says.

AND I think it is still dangerous for the knee.
It's not, if its aimed at the thigh. Typically the thigh is closer in reach, so it doesn't really make sense to target the knee in muay thai in my opinion. It won't score any extra points, and it doesn't give you any advantage from a technical perspective.

But having your leg swept is probably more risky than getting teeped at the thigh, or having your standing leg kicked while you're throwing a kick.

Last edited:
It's not, if its aimed at the thigh. Typically the thigh is closer in reach, so it doesn't really make sense to target the knee in muay thai in my opinion. It won't score any extra points, and it doesn't give you any advantage from a technical perspective.

But having your leg swept is probably more risky than getting teeped at the thigh, or having your standing leg kicked while you're throwing a kick.

Also, everyone forgets that Savate exists and they do it like, every 5 seconds. They're all still fighting.

No one actually targets the knee, they target the thigh. Just half the guys complaining about it don't train, or know how to use the technique

Also, everyone forgets that Savate exists and they do it like, every 5 seconds. They're all still fighting.

No one actually targets the knee, they target the thigh. Just half the guys complaining about it don't train, or know how to use the technique
Well i seldom go to an mma gym so i'm not qualified to comment on whether they target the knee cap or not. If somebody intentionally tries to hurt someone in regular sparring, they're not ready for Muay Thai sparring.

It's about the motion and direction and angle. You can kick someone on the lower thigh just above the knee but if you design the kick to go downward and hit the apanyent when he leg is planted and straight it can be devastating. This is by design an oblique kick.

The thigh teep is a completely different motion (made to push away, not down, and is usually higher on the thigh) and to me all this is so obvious that I seriously question how anyone who has sparred can question that.

Back