DWCS: Week 7 Nariman Abbasov vs Ismael Bonfim?!??!

HuskySamoan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I'm a little confused by this one, Abbasov is 28-3 and has some pretty big wins over Marif Piraev and Shamil Zavurov, like for Contender Series level fighters these are absolutely astronomical wins. Why would Nariman, who's probably a top 5 LW Free agent get signed to the contender series and not the UFC directly? Ontop of this hes fighting 17-3 Ismael Bonfim who is arguably Brazil's best LW prospect, both of these men are on 13 fight and 11 fight win streaks respectively.

I'm just a little confused, this fight is absurdly high level between two blue chip prospects just entering their primes at 26 (Bonfim) and 28 (Abbasov) but 90% of the talent they sign to the contenders series are much less talented and much less accomplished fighters than these two, why not sign them directly to the UFC? And why match them up against each other of all people? I understand they could both possibly get signed or the loser will probably get a second chance, especially since they are both exciting fighters who like to bang.

But how does this make any sense? These feels like a UFC fight where the winner gets a top 10 ranking more than a contender series fight. You'd think they'd give them both lobs vs some 9-1 prospect that they crush and give them both contracts.

Just because they agreed to it I guess. Kinda like when Jailton Almeida and Nasrudin Nasrudinov fought each other last year.

There's some very high level fighters on this year. Even someone of the calibre of Mateusz Rebecki is fighting for a contract.

I'm a little confused by this one, Abbasov is 28-3 and has some pretty big wins over Marif Piraev and Shamil Zavurov, like for Contender Series level fighters these are absolutely astronomical wins. Why would Nariman, who's probably a top 5 LW Free agent get signed to the contender series and not the UFC directly? Ontop of this hes fighting 17-3 Ismael Bonfim who is arguably Brazil's best LW prospect, both of these men are on 13 fight and 11 fight win streaks respectively.

I'm just a little confused, this fight is absurdly high level between two blue chip prospects just entering their primes at 26 (Bonfim) and 28 (Abbasov) but 90% of the talent they sign to the contenders series are much less talented and much less accomplished fighters than these two, why not sign them directly to the UFC? And why match them up against each other of all people? I understand they could both possibly get signed or the loser will probably get a second chance, especially since they are both exciting fighters who like to bang.

But how does this make any sense? These feels like a UFC fight where the winner gets a top 10 ranking more than a contender series fight. You'd think they'd give them both lobs vs some 9-1 prospect that they crush and give them both contracts.
Dumb matchmaking and they are just hurting themselves with this episode. Even tho I love the matchups as a fight fan, all the guys on here are warranting of UFC contracts.

For example next week Amiran Gogoladze is fighting Darrius Flowers.

Dumb matchmaking and they are just hurting themselves with this episode. Even tho I love the matchups as a fight fan, all the guys on here are warranting of UFC contracts.

Amiran is good as long as nobody wrestlefucks him.

Gabriel Bonfim, Ismael Bonfim, Nariman Abbasov and Ikram Aliskerov should be signed straight away. They are above and beyond the average UFC fighter that gets signed, they are way more proven than the rest of these guys and appear much more talented too.

There's guys who make sense like Bo Nickal and Nurullo Aliev, Bo only has 2 pro fights and Nurullo is barely 23 they should have more time to develop. And of course the contender series is great for that, it's great for prospects from Latin America countries where their regional scenes are so weak you can't trust their records so you give them one last test then sign them...And it's a good opportunity for guys like the Pyfers and Yanez of the world, who are young and not blue chip prospects but you see talent, solid records and they could be a diamond in the rough.

Just bizarre to me. I can't believe the UFC is so clueless.

Last edited:
Gabriel Bonfim, Ismael Bonfim, Nariman Abbasov and Ikram Aliskerov should be signed straight away. They are above and beyond the average UFC fighter that gets signed, they are way more proven than the rest of these guys and appear much more talented too.

There's guys who make sense like Bo Nickal and Nurullo Aliev, Bo only has 2 pro fights and Nurullo is barely 23 they should have more time to develop. And of course the contender series is great for that, it's great for prospects from Latin America countries where their regional scenes are so weak you can't trust their records so you give them one last test then sign them...And it's a good opportunity for guys like the Pyfers and Yanez of the world, who are young and not blue chip prospects but you see talent, solid records and they could be a diamond in the rough.

If it matters, Wikipedia article about Aliev says that he was born in 2000, so he is 21-22. Article in Russian Wiki.

If it matters, Wikipedia article about Aliev says that he was born in 2000, so he is 21-22. Article in Russian Wiki.

I saw the coverage of a fight of his 11 months ago and he was listed as 22 there. Regardless, he's very young.

Basically, I saw contender series as a place to test guys from regions where the regional scene is weak or guys who are talented but not yet proven yet

not guys 30 bouts in or top regional talent from places like Brazil or Russia

If I’m trying to make sense if it.

The UFC doesn’t care how skilled you are if you aren’t gonna bring in eyeballs, have fun obvious marketing potential, or help them appeal to a region that they are targeting.

Look at all the millions they pouring into developing Chinese talent. Current Chinese fighters are the NOT the most skilled yet UFC wants them to be 10% of the roster

Nariman Abbasov and Ismael Bonfim maybe badasses and sure super hardcore fans may love them but they are unlikely to move the needle with casuals. So why treat them any different from other fighter that don’t move the needle?

Last edited:
The only sense I can make is the UFC sees DWTNCS, as a way to put eyes on a guy before signing them. I agree these two shouldn’t be matched up, but there’s been a few matchmaking decisions this year that we’re strange. The ufc thinks the contender series allows viewers to get a view at a fighter better than sticking them deep in the prelims of a ESPN+ card. That way they can also say this guy was on the show, and try and boast that DWTNCS is amazing.

Back