Spoilers Official ELDEN RING Discussion [PS/PC/Xbox]

Your Elden Ring Waifu:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I actually think they should release this an XSX/PS5 exclusive, sometime in '22.

That way we can experience a true next gen from game that takes advantage of the haptics/adaptive triggers

New interview. Timestamped at 28:10.

Phil Spencer Has Played "Quite A Bit" Of Elden Ring, Calls It Miyazaki's "Most Ambitious Game"
By James O'Connor on November 11, 2020 at 6:00AM PST

Elden Ring is the next game from Hidetaka Miyazaki, director of Dark Souls and Bloodborne, and fans are desperate for more information. Even so much as a brief mention has been enough to get Miyazaki's fanbase aflutter--so the news from GameSpot's recent interview with Xbox boss Phil Spencer might be enough to send them into a frenzy.

When asked how much of Elden Ring he had seen, Spencer told GameSpot's Tamoor Hussain, "I've seen actually quite a bit. I've played quite a bit."

While Spencer can't say too much, he gave us enough to set the hype high. "As somebody who's played all of Miyazaki's games over at least the last decade, this is clearly the most ambitious game that he's done," he says. "I mean, I love his games, but seeing some of the gameplay mechanics stuff that he's tackling, he and the team are tackling this time, of the setting, working with another creator in terms of story. I love it."

The other creator Spencer mentions is, of course, Game of Thrones author George R. R. Martin, who has worked on the story for the upcoming open world game.

According to Spencer, Elden Ring is Miyazaki "expanding his horizons." He also says that leaves the room while Spencer plays. "I think that's because I'm a bad player, and then when he comes back we'll have a conversation about things that I think," he says. "He's so passionate about what he does. It's one of the things I just love about getting to work with him on some of these games and seeing them come to our platform."

A release date has not been set for Elden Ring yet. It was announced during Microsoft's 2019 E3 press conference, but it's not yet clear which systems the game will release for.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/p...t-miyazakis-most-ambitious-game/1100-6484314/

I actually think they should release this an XSX/PS5 exclusive, sometime in '22.

That way we can experience a true next gen from game that takes advantage of the haptics/adaptive triggers
Maybe I'm reading too much into that interview but it sounds like Elden Ring might not be a PS exclusive after all.

Maybe I'm reading too much into that interview but it sounds like Elden Ring might not be a PS exclusive after all.

I don’t think it was ever a PS exclusive. It would be pretty weird for MS to announce a PS exclusive during their E3 press conference.

It never was, it was announced in an MS conference iirc.

It never was, it was announced in an MS conference iirc.
Gotcha. Sorry, I misread your post.

I wish we had an idea about possible release dates, or even just how many years away it might be.

Miyazaki is one of the few game directors I consider to be a legit artist
He's, speaking non-figuratively, a living legend -- a poet, if you will, of menace in metre and where anguish, art. He's a beautiful mind and gaming would be lesser a landscape without him.

Miyazaki is one of the few game directors I consider to be a legit artist

Tens to hundreds of people work on video games. Its saddening that we credit the success of a game to a single dude, but without the artists, sound engineers, writers, designers etc, the games wouldnt be what they are. Kojima or Miyazaki alone cant do anything of the scale of MGS or Dark Souls.

I honestly think the true auteurs in video games reside in the indie scene. Guys like Lucas Pope and Toby Fox.

Tens to hundreds of people work on video games. Its saddening that we credit the success of a game to a single dude, but without the artists, sound engineers, writers, designers etc, the games wouldnt be what they are. Kojima or Miyazaki alone cant do anything of the scale of MGS or Dark Souls.

I honestly think the true auteurs in video games reside in the indie scene. Guys like Lucas Pope and Toby Fox.

If you look at FromSoft before Miyazaki.

and Dark Souls 2 which didn't have Miyazaki,

then compare it to the FromSoft games that Miyazaki worked on,

its safe to say, hes the key to their success.

Eh, a director using all those talents to bring a vision to life is no easy task. Miyazaki deserves an immense amount of credit.

Miyazaki is always gracious towards his team, especially the artists. He definitely has some super talented/creative people working for him.

There are so many people responsible for productions like Dark Souls, DeS, Bloodborne etc... but they wouldn't be the same without him, if exist at all However, watching playthroughs of earlier From Soft games (Kings Field namely) you can see just how much the studio influenced him too

I don't like using quotes too much, but this one encapsulates so much of what makes his games stand above so many others.

Miyazaki-Dark-Souls.jpg
It's been almost two years since I first ran through all his Soulsborne games (late bloomer) and they still carry a magical aura for me, even after multiple playthroughs.

It's extra interesting because not only do we have his From Soft team to thank, it's all the lore hunters in the community that gave it extra legs too, much like Bethesda's modding community.

I wish From Soft were as mod friendly, just imagine the content we'd have now!

Last edited:
I might have gone a little overboard in making my statement, but I honestly feel like there are a lot of unsung heroes who create our favourite games and their contributions are usually attributed to the director. I get it, its easier to say its a 'Kojima' game or 'Miyazaki' game, but I wish some of the artists etc got their credit in the conversations.

I might have gone a little overboard in making my statement, but I honestly feel like there are a lot of unsung heroes who create our favourite games and their contributions are usually attributed to the director. I get it, its easier to say its a 'Kojima' game or 'Miyazaki' game, but I wish some of the artists etc got their credit in the conversations.
Yeah it's rare you hear someone other than the director getting credit, or the studio itself

I was thinking about names that come to mind for games I loved, who aren't project leads, and the first is Nobuo Uematsu. He's the legend who made final fantasy 7's amazing music, so many gems. Like John Williams for Star Wars, FF7 wouldnt be the same without him!

Yeah it's rare you hear someone other than the director getting credit, or the studio itself

I was thinking about names that come to mind for games I loved m, who aren't projec leads, and the first is Nobuo Uematsu. He's the legend who made final fantasy 7's amazing music, so many gems. Like John William's for Star Wars, FF7 wouldnt be the same without him!

Exactly.

The music in the souls games are goddamn special. I honestly feel emotional listening to the Gywn theme. Those keys really hit hard when you know the lore. Pure artistic genius using only the white keys for this. Motoi Sakuraba knocked it out the park.

The score in Bloodborne is otherworldly and truly special. That piece that plays during Ludwig boss fight, is frankly special. Nobuyoshi Suzuki crafted something special here.

You could go through each aspect of the game, and there is almost always someone so damn talented who has worked on it.

Back