Economy Employee Rage quits McDonald's over Pay and Headlines National News

That's dope as fuck.

This guy wants more out of his life than a shitty job. I bet he goes out and gets it.

If all he could find was a job at Micky Ds before what makes you think he's going to find better now?

People work at McD's because they have to, pretty much. No one out there is dreaming of working at Mcdonalds.
Black lady who I work with is a respiratory therapist worked at McDonald's until she graduated and they helped pay for some of her schooling too. Now to convert this to democrat, why do you hate black people and single moms?

People work at McD's because they have to, pretty much. No one out there is dreaming of working at Mcdonalds.
It's an entry level skilless job that can be done by a skinny uneducated 15 year old easily.

You get paid scaling for skill level generally in this world.

Decent competent mcjob workers get promoted to supervisor and manager roles very quickly and then make more money. When your resume reflects your meteoric rise, it generally affects your next job interview and makes you stand out as a go getter able to get by in a moderately stressful environment managing a bunch of kids and grumpy adults who don't really give a fuck. It certainly did for me.

It's not meant to be a permanent vocation.

That's why it is considered a stepping stone job.

Thanks for the clarity. Appreciate the response.
Allow me to clarify my position as well. I'm not stuck on a mandatory number of where minimum wage should be at. I think whatever the appropriate number is is going to depend on a variety of factors. But I do think people deserve a fair wage, whatever that may be, regardless of the job they're doing. Who decides what jobs are stepping stones meant to only be done as a student, and which ones can be considered careers?
If you're spending 40+ hours a week working at a place that's bringing in billions of dollars, you should be getting a fair wage...a fair slice of that pie. Not whatever society thinks you should get based off of their arbitrary feelings of your job. Why does the multi-billion dollar company get to hoard more of the money just because society thinks fast food workers don't deserve more?

Regardless of what society thinks of fast food workers, society is still paying billions of dollars a year to eat the burgers and fries those workers are making. Society obviously does value the product they're getting from these workers.
So why is the value of that dependent on what people think of the worker, and not on what money is being brought in? Why does the multi-billion dollar company get to remove itself from the conversation and let the fast food worker and society decide the fast food worker's wage?
People have similar views about people that work at Walmart. Whatever you think of Walmart, it's bringing in billions of dollars. So what does society's opinion of 'respectable, grown up jobs' have to do with them getting paid the money that is already coming in?
They're franchises. Only like 8% of McDonald's are corporate owned.

If you're saying that McDonald's shouldn't take franchising fees, that doesn't really help much either because it's really not all that much. Franchising fee to open one is like $45k and the ongoing service fee is like 4% of gross sales. Waiving those doesn't translate to some huge pay increase for employees. The corporation makes as much as they do from volume because there are 37,000 McDonald's locations, not because each individual one is just sitting on piles of cash.

Good, pay a livable wage next time. Stand up for your rights people.

Meh, overall I'm indifferent to this story, but will say this; I have no problems with employees showing their employer the same level of indifference and respect as they get.

I worked for a company for over 15 years then the pay structure and management changed overnight to my detriment. I was taken advantage of and my performance reflected it until one day I got pulled into the office. The conversation went something like this:
"Bald1, in light of your recent behavior this is your first and final warning. If you're considering other employment please have the courtesy to give us 2 weeks notice."

Lol. Get fucked. Demanding that which you're unwilling to provide is the antithesis of what a mutually beneficial relationship should be based on. Unfortunately that's the norm in many worker/owner relationship. The remedy? Walk away.

How is working fast food not valuable? I know a bunch of fatties that are mad they gotta wait in line longer because “people don’t want to work”.

The juice really isn't worth the squeeze when it comes to wagecucking, especially if you're getting paid like shit. It should be everyones goal to get out of the rat race. Be your own boss, save and invest your money wisely.

Best of luck to this guy.

lolz.

all it does is drop the relative worth of the dollar. in the end, it's the same. shit, in the end - everyone it's supposed to help are actually worse off, anyway. it benefits those who have wealth -and not in dollars, but assets, which don't lose value via the inflation.

but retards never see this. they just think 'hurr durr, i'll make more money! more is better!' without realizing that they'll just have more dollars that are worth less.

the winners are the govt (taxes essentially skyrocket as they collect on capital gains from assets that are the same but now worth more dollars) and banks/real estate/people with few dollars but tons of assets (stock, homes, ammo, etc)

mcdonald's entry-level workers will never be middle class. any bumps to the lowest of jobs (unskilled labor) will only further bump the middle and upper class tiers. ie: if mcdonald's employees get a 100% raise... the middle class will get a 75-150% raise and the upper class gets a 100+% raise. then, years later, people will bitch for a $25 minimum wage and repeat the same idiotic process. and a ford focus costs $50k and a big mac costs $20.

It is almost like you don't understand how things are in nordic countries nor do you get that McD employee wages are artificially low due to the fact that they need government assistance to get by. Tax payers are basically subsidizing McD's and the like labor.

All I get from you is a feeling or need to look smarter or better than everyone else but to everyone you don't at all come off as that but just desperately insecure. Your whole argument is no different really then what has been used for various caste and slavery system. It is a lazy argument that has't held water for over 200 years. There is nothing smart or insightful in anything you said.

Last edited:
I see alot of slackers I went to college with(mostly art related majors) complaining about "back in 1950 you could own a home, and raise a family on minimum wage." Well? I just saw a sign for the McDonald's around here that said starting at $13.80 hr(Michigan minimum wage is $9.87). So? Get yourself a McDonald's gf/bf, make 55k-ish a year combined...and live that "dream" of working a better paying version of the minimum wage life you long for.

It's an entry level skilless job that can be done by a skinny uneducated 15 year old easily.

You get paid scaling for skill level generally in this world.

Decent competent mcjob workers get promoted to supervisor and manager roles very quickly and then make more money. When your resume reflects your meteoric rise, it generally affects your next job interview and makes you stand out as a go getter able to get by in a moderately stressful environment managing a bunch of kids and grumpy adults who don't really give a fuck. It certainly did for me.

It's not meant to be a permanent vocation.

That's why it is considered a stepping stone job.

It's not a stepping stone job. You learn no transferable skills beyond a vague "customer service" experience you would already get anywhere. Even for a teen it's a waste of time beyond serving as warning for where they wind up if they don't get their shit together.

BREAKING NEWS working at fast food sucks. Get some skills and find a better job...

It is almost like you don't understand how things are in nordic countries nor do you get that McD employee wages are artificially low due to the fact that they need government assistance to get by. Tax payers are basically subsidizing McD's and the like labor.

All I get from you is a feeling or need to look smarter or better than everyone else but to everyone you don't at all come off as that but just desperately insecure. Your whole argument is no different really then what has been used for various caste and slavery system. It is a lazy argument that has't held water for over 200 years. There is nothing smart or insightful in anything you said.

lolz @ trying to make this thread about nordic countries.

<JagsKiddingMe>

double lolz @ not retorting anything i actually said... but striving for those hypocrisy points.

What about miners who inhale toxic fumes in darkness and 140 degree conditions, constantly fearing for cave-ins?
What about sea fisherman who routinely die from falling overboard or hitting their head on something on a big wave?
What about loggers who also routinely die from getting hit in the head by falling trees and branches?
What about the guys who have to unclog fatbergs from sewers, literally travelling through feces and god knows what else to unclog... feces and god knows what else?
What about the people in other countries who routinely log 12+ hour days in construction, manufacturing, etc.

And there's plenty of other disgusting and/or dangerous jobs that many people have to do that pay about as much as these kids flipping burgers make.

It's not the 'one of the most miserable jobs on the planet'. Saying something that ignorant (a sentiment which many people seem to share) just shows how little perspective most people have when it comes to the real world.
Al those jobs get well respected and paid fairly for their service. Fast food workers get treated like garbage, laughed at and disrespected.

I partially disagree with his statement but it’s a terrible job in other and in my opinion, worse ways.

I’d rather be on a lobster boat than behind a counter at MacDonald’s. I’ve done both.

lolz @ trying to make this thread about nordic countries.

<JagsKiddingMe>

double lolz @ not retorting anything i actually said... but striving for those hypocrisy points.

Your theory doesn't hold water because other countries in the world require a livable wage. So that part is completely doable. You did nothing to address the fact that when companies pay unlivable wages, the state takes on the burden through safety net programs, which basically subsidize low paying employers. It is silly your premise basically disproves itself if anyone bothers to look outside our borders.

<Dany07><Dany07><Dany07>

Your theory doesn't hold water because other countries in the world require a livable wage. So that part is completely doable.

wtf are you talking about? raising minimum wage =/= livable wage

worse, THAT'S MY POINT.

You did nothing to address the fact that when companies pay unlivable wages, the state takes on the burden through safety net programs, which basically subsidize low paying employers. It is silly your premise basically disproves itself if anyone bothers to look outside our borders.

<Dany07><Dany07><Dany07>

this again, retorts absolutely nothing that i said.

you can't retort my argument, you resorted to strawman (and hypocrisy), and you're still stuck 3 posts ago... and apparently, without even realizing that raising the minimum wage (and devaluing the dollar) don't magically create a "livable wage" and magic mcdonald's fry cooks into middle class.

<JagsKiddingMe>

it's a laughable degree of ignorance to have and worsened by the shit you just tried to talk.

Back