Encompassing Athleticism and Fighting

Hey man! You're welcome. Keith Baar does some really interesting stuff, and it's right up the orthopedics ally.

I think we might be connected already from a few years back. I'm pretty sure I have you on fb at least, my name is Thomas Christensen. When did you start with performance 22 lab btw, and what is it? An athlete and rehabilitation center? It looks pretty cool. I'm still trying to really dig into that athletics/therapy world, although it's hard to choose which path. Have a finger in a few pies but not found a home just yet. Finished as a physio this summer so it's coming along, step by step.
I started working there a month ago. It's a centre that combines rehab and performance training: half of it is a physiotherapy clinic, with a resident sports doc, physiotherapists and a chiro, and the other half is a gym in which we do rehab/return-to-play and athletic development for athletes (we also have a number of non-athlete clients who like the health/performance-oriented approach of the training we do).

Did you already intern somewhere relevant to the "athletics/therapy world"?

I started working there a month ago. It's a centre that combines rehab and performance training: half of it is a physiotherapy clinic, with a resident sports doc, physiotherapists and a chiro, and the other half is a gym in which we do rehab/return-to-play and athletic development for athletes (we also have a number of non-athlete clients who like the health/performance-oriented approach of the training we do).

Did you already intern somewhere relevant to the "athletics/therapy world"?
Funny coincidence, I just now found a very simular position that I'm applying for. It's a rehab and performance center with athletes and neurological patients, which is exactly what I want to work with. They have a few different locations so I'm gonna call them tomorrow and hopefully have a good conversation about what they are looking for before I send my application. Fingers crossed.

No I've mainly interned at hospitals and communal rehab centers, I do however work with a few individual clients right now doing athletic and performance training. I wrote my bachelors in concussions and I've been invited to a concussion and PCS interest group at my physio university so that's another road I'd like to go down as well. Combining athletics, concussion and neuro rehab is my dream.

Congrats on the job man, it sounds awesome. What's your impression of the place far?

Easy day today, been a bit worn.

Warmup:
- Bike ride 15 min
- Mobility 5-10 min
- Light shadowboxing and footwork 15 min

Circuit:
- Press with dumbbells x15 (12kg's)
- Reverse Flys x12 (10kg's)
- Lateral raises x6 (10kg's)
- Neutral chinup x6
x3

HSR for calfs - seated soleus raises:
- 3x 15x40kg each leg

Romanian Deadlift:
- bar
- 10x40kg
- 10x60kg
- 3x 10x80kg

Slow eccentric, isometric pause and then explode on the way up with the hip drive. Focus on good upperbody posture with retracted shoulderblades and lats engaged too.

Some misc behind the neck presses, glute bridges and plate rolls

Stretching for 15-20 min

I had a good talk with one of the pro fighters who is also a trainer and does a lot of the physical and technical training for the other pros. We're talking high level pros without mentioning names. He asked me if I wanted to meet up with him and a S&C coach and exchange ideas. I have a lot of stuff I'm writing and working on in that regard so that would be cool.

Also bumped into another coach who again trains both the beginners, a few celebs and pro fighters. He's seen me shadowbox and work, so he asked if I wanted to teach some boxing (after asking me when I'm going to fight). I talked to him about being a physio and working on explosive movements and such, and he told me that he needed someone to work with an elite female swimmer (national level) who needs to get stronger and more explosive off the block. That's part of what I've been reading about and working on lately, so that's pretty cool. I told him that I wouldn't mind beginners boxing, I much prefer 1on1s and that I would have to get back to him about the swimmer.

Things are happening.

Good job, Sano. I am glad to read about your progress

Funny coincidence, I just now found a very simular position that I'm applying for. It's a rehab and performance center with athletes and neurological patients, which is exactly what I want to work with. They have a few different locations so I'm gonna call them tomorrow and hopefully have a good conversation about what they are looking for before I send my application. Fingers crossed.

No I've mainly interned at hospitals and communal rehab centers, I do however work with a few individual clients right now doing athletic and performance training. I wrote my bachelors in concussions and I've been invited to a concussion and PCS interest group at my physio university so that's another road I'd like to go down as well. Combining athletics, concussion and neuro rehab is my dream.

Congrats on the job man, it sounds awesome. What's your impression of the place far?
It's a nice place, has some good trainers, but was very unorganised when I got there (subpar communication between the medical/physio and the training departments, no clear "philosophy" in training, etc). Good news is I get a decent amount of freedom to organise things how I see fit and to change what I think needs changing, so that's a nice challenge/opportunity for me. Time will tell how that goes.

Good luck with getting your stuff going.

Phew long one today.

Warmup:
Bike ride 10 min, mobility/dynamic warmup, skips, getting loose.

Squat Jumps:
- 5x1 for max height

Squats:
- bar
- 8x40kg
- 5x60kg
- 3x80kg
- 3x100kg
- 3x110kg
- 2x 3x120kg

Press:
Alternating behind the neck press and ohp with the bar, adding push press
Same as above but in split stance

Power Jerk:
- 2x 5xbar

Hang Power Clean:
- 2x 5xbar

OHP:
- bar
- 5x40kg
- 3x50kg
- 2x 3x60kg

Romanian Deadlift (slow eccentric, pause and explode up):
- bar
- 8x40kg
- 8x60kg
- 3x 8x80kg

Circuit of:
- Renegade Rows 6x15kg each side
- Eccentric Lateral Step-ups 10 reps each leg
- Skipping 3-4 min
x3

Misc: Isometric lateral raises 10x5 second hold with 5 kg, same with reverse flys

Stretching and breathing/relaxing for a good 15 minutes. Needed that and it felt good.

Time for some dinner!

I was out early two days ago and working on my dads boat cleaning the hull. It was storm winds and rainy, but he had to do it at that time, and we had to rush too. Hell of a workout getting it up and controlling it with ropes, cleaning the barnacles and getting new blocks on. Completely muddy from head to toe, but it was fun. Yesterday I was up early and helped my mom with her workout plan and introduced new things. She is improving so much its awesome to see how well she's moving about. She's a natural at bench pressing, who would have thought. Anyway, I did a little workout myself but I had no energy. I feel like I'm overtrained a bit so I'll take a few rest days. Have been working on max power/strength for a while now, might need to taper off.

Warmup:
- None, not really organised

Benchpress:
- bar
- 10x40kg
- 8x60kg
- 6x80kg
- 1x90kg
- 1x95kg
- 1x100kg (failed)

Lol at failing on 100kg. I haven't touched a bench in almost a year and I was very fatigued and had no energy, but still. Was a bit surprising. It was a hair off. Oh well.

Squat:
- bar
- 10x40kg
- 8x60kg
- 5x80kg
- 5x90kg
- 5x100kg
- 10x100kg

Stretching.

Yep, gonna catch up on some sleep and take a break from working out for 2-3 days I think.

Good training today!

Warmup:
- Skipping
- Mobility, dynamic stability

Would have liked a little more thorough warmup going through the motions. Neck ended up hurting because I think I was not relaxed and warm enough.

Shadowboxing:
- 4-5 rounds working working on sitting down and moving deliberately, and then being light and bouncing.
- Footwork

Bagwork:
- 4-5 rounds again working on moving and then sitting down.

I flail way too much all over the place on the bag. I really don't like punching a bag, I think partly because my neck hurts and my upper traps and neck area stiffens up because of it, but also because I tend to move too much while punching and then not having my feet under me. Something just happens when I start hitting the bag, it feels awkward. However, I did try to have a few rounds not moving from a spot at all, and that actually felt very good. I'll drill that more, which is what a heavybag does well anyway.

Squat:
- warmup
- 8x40kg
- 5x60kg
- 5x80kg
- 3x 5x100kg

Press:

- 2x 8x40kg OHP

Pendley rows:
- 8x40kg
- 2x 8x60kg

Circuit of:
- Glute Ham Raises 5 reps
- Eccentric Lateral Step-ups 8 reps each leg
- Reverse Lunge 20 kg 8 reps each leg
- Chinups 6 reps
- Judo Pushups 10 reps
- Side Plank right side 30 seconds
- Lateral Dumbbell Raises with 5 kg, 5 seconds hold and 5 seconds eccentric
x2

I did the Functional Movement Screening on myself yesterday and found a few things I could work on (old things that I have put aside).

Misc: Deadbugs, right side assisted glut med work in standing (I shift towards my right a bit), stability over hip, knee, ankle, situps.

Stretching/relaxing/breathing for 15-20 min.

I was there for a long ass time lol.

Shadowboxing:

Bagwork moving:

Bagwork in place:

Last edited:
Long workout again today.

Warmup:
- Light shadowboxing
- Mobility/stability

Hurdle correctives:
- Hip IR stretch + thoratic rotation
- Glut med/max stretch
- Modified march bridge
- Terminal hip flexion + thoratic rotation
- Isometric hurdle, front, side and across (10 seconds hold each)

Squat:
- bar
- 8x40kg
- 6x60kg
- 6x80kg
- 4x 6x100kg

Press:

Circuit:
- Lat pullovers (feet up) 12,5kg dumbbell
- Close grip chinups 6 reps
- Glute ham raise 5 reps
x3

Misc: External rotation and trap 3 work.

Light shadowboxing and footwork for 20-30 min

Stretching 10-15 min

My focus in shadowboxing in the foreseeable future is working on getting loose and getting my upper body into a rhyhm. My neck has been killing me after the bagwork and I tense up because of it. I also loose all my rhythm. I am focusing on small steps, constantly shifting my weight from side to side, front and back, and letting my guard be more loose and shoulders moving. Also, in regards to footwork I'm staying in one place more which help me settle into it. I think this is exactly what I need. If I get this part of the boxing down I will not only help my neck, but also become much better.

Warmup:
- Bike 15 min
- Mobility/stability

Hurdle correctives:
- Glut med/max stretch
- Modified march bridge

Power Training:
- Band-resisted rear hip turnover 6-8 reps
- Medball rainbow slams each side 5 reps
- Band-resisted lead hook 5-6 reps
x2

Squat:
RFE
- bar
- 8x40kg
- 8x60kg
- 5x80kg
- 5x100kg
- 5x110kg

Circuit:
- Deadbugs 12 reps
- Renegade Rows 5x22,5kg each side
- Judo pushup 10 reps
- Situps 20 reps
- Modified single leg bridge 5 reps of 5 second holds each side
- Lateral lunges 5 reps each side
- Lateral raises with 5x6kg 5 second holds each side
- Reverse flys with 5x6kg 5 second holds each side
x2

Stretching and breathing for 10-15 minutes. Lot of people in the gym today.

Last edited:
Just what is the purpose of circuit training anyways? What makes a circuit good or bad?

Just what is the purpose of circuit training anyways? What makes a circuit good or bad?
Depends on the purpose of it really. You can set it up in different ways.

What I'm doing with it is just cramming accessory exercises into it which are more about developing control and stability in certain areas (besides throwing BB stuff if I want to). Mostly it's just to save time instead of doing them seperately, and I like the continous work and "post to post" aspect of it. I guess you could argue the sustained effort with constant change in exercise prepares you a little more for changing demands in something like grappling, but mostly I just do it because it's fun.

Warmup:
- Bike 15 min
- Mobility/stability

Hurdle correctives:
- Glut med/max stretch
- Modified march bridge

Front Squat:
- bar
- 10x40kg
- 8x60kg
- 5x70kg

Squat:
- 3x 5x80kg

Band Assisted Nordic Hamstring Curl:
- 3x 6xBW reps

Circuit:
- Situps
- Deadbugs
- Glute bridges, single leg glute bridges
- Back extensions
- Judo pushups
- Bird dog
x2-3

Misc:
- GH external rotation with bands, Y raises, lower body mobility, lateral lunges

Last edited:
dude, i just read the contraindicated lifts thread.
you are the man. thanks so much for your contribution.
if i ever have a professional question again, i know who to contact.
i mostly train old people with no athletic ambition whatsoever and this is really easy but you bring so much knowledge to this forum, just thanks for your sport scienfitfic and practical input. it's a great source for following research and stuff.

cheers, dude

dude, i just read the contraindicated lifts thread.
you are the man. thanks so much for your contribution.
if i ever have a professional question again, i know who to contact.
i mostly train old people with no athletic ambition whatsoever and this is really easy but you bring so much knowledge to this forum, just thanks for your sport scienfitfic and practical input. it's a great source for following research and stuff.

cheers, dude
That is very nice of you to say man, that really means a lot! Training old people is invaluable work and comes with its own challenges so I commend you for that. Keep up the good work!

Warmup:
- Stability/dynamic mobility

Shadowboxing and drilling for 40-50 minutes
Working on my rhythm, relaxing, weight shifting and just getting into a groove. Also footwork, small steps and going to my right side more. Only a few bursts of speed, but otherwise controlled. This stuff will benefit me a lot because it opens up my control of positioning and rhythm so much.

Squat:
- bar
- 5x40kg
- 5x60kg
- 5x80kg
- 5x90kg
- 5x100kg
- 5x110kg
- 5x115kg
Felt good, my squat is going back up again.

Band assisted Nordic Hamstring Curls:
- 3x 8xBW

Landmine Press/punch:
- 10xbar each side
- 8x40kg each side
- 8x60kg each side
- 5x80kg each side

Circuit:
- Single leg deadlift with dumbbells 8x8kg's each side
- Landmine rotations
x3

Treadmill walk/cooldown:
- 15 min

Stretching/breathing for 10-15 min

Are these nordic because you're doing them in Denmark, or is there another reason?
This is basicly what I'm doing, but with a band around my chest to assist so I can control the movement better.

It's simular to a GHR, but a bit different. Greater focus on the eccentric portion and I can take the calfs out of it (they are way overactice when I use the GHR). I need to build up my hamstrings across the knee joint because after my ACL graft they've never been the same.

Warmup:
- C.A.R's routine
- Dynamic mobility
- Kettlebell Swings 12 kg, 8 reps, 3 sets
- Walking Lateral Kettlebell Swings 12 kg, 6 reps each direction, 3 sets
- Skips (A, lateral, ankle bounding)

Half Split Hinge - Eccentric Isometrics (EI's):
- 2x 6x15kg dumbbells each side

Sling Lunge - EI's
- 2x 4xBW each side

Banded Rear Straight - EI's:
- 5xRed