End of an era: The Danaher Death squad is no more

He shouldn't have ducked Caio Terra.
That was the match I wanted to see. Who give a fuck about him grappling Tex Johnson or a drugged out Kyle Bohem?
Do you really see Caio being more of a challenge?

He shouldn't have ducked Caio Terra.
That was the match I wanted to see. Who give a fuck about him grappling Tex Johnson or a drugged out Kyle Bohem?
https://www.bjjee.com/articles/caio-terra-backtracks-fast-on-gordon-ryan-gi-challenge/

That was my understanding of the match. Gordon isn't usually the one ducking people. they call him out and then back track until it becomes a gi match under the ruleset they wanted or backing out of money. Again I don't agree with it, but every time it isn't Gordon that is ducking.

In the gi yes.
Even in nogi he could try something crazy.
Still a lot more fun then heavily outmatched dudes.
Still don’t see that being less of a mismatch than the others but in the gi creates a different dynamic. But then that now opens the door to gi matches. He doesn’t fight in the gi so it’s an error to take that one. Nogi it would be a wide blow out. At this point if it would get Gordon in competition again I’d take it.

It could also be an issue with the video instructionals. I see how a conflict could arise from this.

Weird how john talks about and conducts himself as some throwback martial artist who is all about honour and respect but does or says nothing about gordon.

I guess its a bit of a situation like conor and john k. - you preach about honour and respect but your cash cow (star pupil) can behave anyway he wants and you turn the blind eye.

Most important part for John was always listening to himself talking. Describing drinking a glas of water needs at least 30min of deep insightful phrases in complex wording. I know people will crucify me because he is a good teacher and bjj artist
but he is also a pretentious hack regarding his philosophical texts who way overestimates his intellect. Full of filler crap you read from existentialist college students trying to impress their girlfriend. But I guess people like it.

Most important part for John was always listening to himself talking. Describing drinking a glas of water needs at least 30min of deep insightful phrases in complex wording. I know people will crucify me because he is a good teacher and bjj artist
but he is also a pretentious hack regarding his philosophical texts who way overestimates his intellect. Full of filler crap you read from existentialist college students trying to impress their girlfriend. But I guess people like it.

Well he was a philosophy grad or phd student so it makes sense. I definitely agree he's meandering and long-winded, but I don't think his words are empty and without meaning like some twink college student trying to sound smart or existentialist.

Idk I've never trained with him and he did have that really fucking weird haircut prior to becoming superstar BJJ Danaher lmao, but I'm a fan.

Still don’t see that being less of a mismatch than the others but in the gi creates a different dynamic. But then that now opens the door to gi matches. He doesn’t fight in the gi so it’s an error to take that one. Nogi it would be a wide blow out. At this point if it would get Gordon in competition again I’d take it.
He took a freestyle wrestling match and got raped because he cant wrestle.

He took a freestyle wrestling match and got raped because he cant wrestle.

To be fair he went against Pat Downey right? He's supposedly a pretty good D1 wrestler and it's obviously in a pts based wrestling setting.

If you took someone who was really good in gi and perhaps good at takedowns too in BJJ and then put them against a step down from olympic level judoka in a judo match they would get raped as well. Just apples and oranges really.

He got finished in the wrestling match by the "get the fuck out of here noob" tech fall rule.
Tech fall shows an extreme amount of skill, but the consequences aren't the same as a choke. Both show they are better at their perspective sport but one just means more IMO. A choke will kill you, scoring more points faster won't.

This.

No doubt he is the best bjj coach in the world, but the smartest people can say more with less words .

Tech fall shows an extreme amount of skill, but the consequences aren't the same as a choke. Both show they are better at their perspective sport but one just means more IMO. A choke will kill you, scoring more points faster won't.

Well what do those points mean? In a drunken bar brawl they would mean that Pat Downey would be standing over a stunned Gordon with a broken beer bottle in his hand.

Last edited:
Back