Media ESPN names its KO of the Year

Probably the most meaningful, but definitely not the best KO.

Yes, it's clearly the one that mattered most. I knew it would be this before I clicked on the thread so it's a good call.

ESPN doesn’t know a damn thing about mma.. Period.

They’ve named 3 awards so far for 2023. They got all 3 wrong. Surprise, surprise.

They named like 10 awards like a week ago. Most are pretty accurate except for Korean Zombies walkout being best non fight moment.

Zombie hasn’t been a big deal since he dislocated his shoulder against Aldo.

The Emmett vs flat earth was so disgusting how can it not be ko of the year!!!!
I don't know why the flat earth shit has gained so much traction with him. We should be calling him,"Bryce 'Cock and Ball Torture' Mitchell". Or just "CBT".

Yes, it's clearly the one that mattered most. I knew it would be this before I clicked on the thread so it's a good call.
But is the award the "Most Meaningful KO"? I guess that's where the definition of KO of the Year comes into play. Is the award for the one that mattered the most? The best technically? The one that caused the most damage?

But is the award the "Most Meaningful KO"? I guess that's where the definition of KO of the Year comes into play. Is the award for the one that mattered the most? The best technically? The one that caused the most damage?
we had this conversation (not you and I specifically, but the mma world) last year with edwards vs usman and chandler vs tony.

Most people look at the situation around the edwards ko rather than the KO itself, where as the Chandler one is sheer brute force.

just up to you which is more impressive or noteworthy. Some might say the KO of the year is the most meaningful one, not the one that inflcits the most damage, or the one that is most aestethically pleasing.

I think Izzy's is a great combination of all 3. Great exchange into a KO, Send Alex OUT OUT so the damage is clearly there, and it was his entire MW legacy and his combat sports legacy on the line completely pulled it out of the fire too as he was getting his ass beat.

Emmet would be the runner up for me. hard 1 punch KO. Maybe gaethje vs Porier as well. All 3 packed with concussive damage.

I mean it's a good question but I would think they take into account what it means for the sport. Like would it be the best one if it was between two undercard guys no one ever heard of or the one between two of the best at MWs with a history between each other that spans two sports?

we had this conversation (not you and I specifically, but the mma world) last year with edwards vs usman and chandler vs tony.

Most people look at the situation around the edwards ko rather than the KO itself, where as the Chandler one is sheer brute force.

just up to you which is more impressive or noteworthy. Some might say the KO of the year is the most meaningful one, not the one that inflcits the most damage, or the one that is most aestethically pleasing.

I think Izzy's is a great combination of all 3. Great exchange into a KO, Send Alex OUT OUT so the damage is clearly there, and it was his entire MW legacy and his combat sports legacy on the line completely pulled it out of the fire too as he was getting his ass beat.

Emmet would be the runner up for me. hard 1 punch KO. Maybe gaethje vs Porier as well. All 3 packed with concussive damage.
Well said. I personally have Emmett, Gaethje, and Bonfim all ahead of Izzy's knockout. I think Barboza's KO of Quarantillo up against the fence is on par.

image.gif.7e77bd4d038102caf741a89e79aa4c8e.gif
awwww las patitas

strickland dreams of making this thread

To the peeps focusing on the Izzy Alex over all record.......

They're 2-2.

As a person who thinks Alex is cool and Izzy is weird, there's no way Poatan won the first kickboxing fight.

I have no problem giving Draws and am a big proponent of 10-10 rounds if there's no clear winner.

That first KB fight was a clear 29-28 Izzy.

Back