Ethan tries to suck less

Ethan

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Hey all, long time no post so here's a new log. Can't find my old one.
Basic details: 30 years old, 180lbs, haven't been lifting consistently in 2022 and need to change that. Washed up Judo black belt, semi competitive BJJ blue belt
Lifetime PR's: 440sq/245bp/505dl
Goals: stay healthy, feel strong, look good, train BJJ without fucking myself up.

Training: Basically push/pull/squat 3x per week. I do all 3 every session but only one heavy, the other 2 are alternate movements or accessory work. BJJ 6-10x per week depending on if I get morning sessions in. Conditioning (fucking around with a kettlebell and a slam ball) daily mostly.

Personal life stuff: I work as an engineer doing consulting work about 80% of the time, the other 20% I spend skippering sailing yachts, mostly delivering boats and whatnot.

Essentially I want to feel good, not be too weak, offset my office based day job, and enjoy life. Welcome to my boring as shit training log!

Christmas Day fuckabout:
Went in with a buddy to alleviate some holiday boredom.

Front squat up to 3x3x225
Cleans up to 3 singles at 185
OHP x a lot x 95lbs
Face pulls x a million
Flow rolling, no gi, 1x 45min round.

Been on a boat for 2 weeks so I've been stiff and sore. Felt good to get some work in.

A few more concrete goals:

1) Squat 500lbs for a single

I should have done this years ago. A combination of consistency, simpler training (i.e. staying off the fucking internet and not overthinking shit), going to bed, and not eating like a complete asshole will get me there soon.

2) Bench 315

My bench is low because it's technically awful. I'm working with a coach when the new year comes to fix my technique and help rehab my garbage shoulders.

I should set a deadlift goal but I very rarely deadlift anymore. My heavy pulls are generally cleans these days.

Another unstructured day. Was annoyed as shit so went to the gym to avoid yelling at family members.

OHP 3x10x135
Low bar back squat, worked up to 3x405. This might be a PR triple. Felt good to squat something heavy ish.

Little bit of life stuff.

I've found it hard to care about anything lately. I don't want to do BJJ. I don't want to run. I can make myself lift weights but only because it's solitary. This apathy seems to come for me once a year or so but lately it's been deeper and harder to shake. It's getting really difficult to find a reason to get out of bed. Depression is a bitch and it affects my training so from time to time I'll talk about it in here.

Welcome home old rookie. Not a big talkative group here, but there's always someone who will listen to our whiny crap. :D Where you live? If you up north in the cold and darkness, that's typical no sunlight and snow prison depression. Maybe you unknowingly hate the holidays too, they suck the fn life out of you and your wallet. Your lifts are relatable, keep it mixed up - you won't get bored.

Welcome home old rookie. Not a big talkative group here, but there's always someone who will listen to our whiny crap. :D Where you live? If you up north in the cold and darkness, that's typical no sunlight and snow prison depression. Maybe you unknowingly hate the holidays too, they suck the fn life out of you and your wallet. Your lifts are relatable, keep it mixed up - you won't get bored.

I live in Canada - definitely part of it. It's pitch black here by 5pm. Cant wait for the summer to start.

It's just something I've dealt with for most of my life. I'm used to managing it now but it's always there so I might as well talk about it.

Conditioning workout

10x Kettlebell snatches
5x Box jumps
5x slam ball slams

Did this circuit 5 times. Either I'm out of shape or this is harder than it seems.

Back