EU passes law requiring all devices to charge with USB-C; Apple will have to ditch lightning ports

Sorta - it's a "USB-C" to USB adaptor. But my point is you can't just put in a flash to the actual laptop anymore you have to buy the adaptor. My older work Air Mac is just as thin but still they had enough room to allow 2 ports for a flash drive.

All my flash drives have both USB-C and USB A connectors.
resize

I think people are also missing that USB 4.0 and USB-PD (including the new Extended Power Range) are still USB-C.

All the different bullshit chargers used to create thousands of tonnes of waste per year and cost consumers billions of dollars.

It's always just been a massive money grab by companies to force you to use their bs proprietary chargers.
Like this.
More than 40 different connectors.
And then these type C and m USB...
I have cables for both types and might just insert cable A or B in charger.
Like USB to x.

__
While to charge laptop with mobile phone charger for me looks interesting idea.
IMHO too long time.
Laptops does have their own stuff...

I hope that's not the only exception. Gaming laptops simply can not run off of those cables.
I'm not terribly knowledgeable about that aspect of electronics (or most others for that matter). But I get that the power supply needs are quite different. And you never know; by then the legislation could change again.

Consumer power doesn't work when corporations have a soy monopoly and control your government.

Also, the vast majority of consumers are retarded
you're right. If only people were willing to control their own lives...

I choose to not use Apple products... why? well, partly because they force(d) their customers to buy proprietary and ever changing chargers. If some percentage of consumers decided to refuse to participate in commerce with companies willing to openly insult them, said companies would change or fail, at least in theory... More laws is not the answer imo.

you're right. If only people were willing to control their own lives...

I choose to not use Apple products... why? well, partly because they force(d) their customers to buy proprietary and ever changing chargers. If some percentage of consumers decided to refuse to participate in commerce with companies willing to openly insult them, said companies would change or fail, at least in theory... More laws is not the answer imo.
Leaving aside your last sentence for a moment, I think it's easy for you and me to say that (the bold text), but we've never been sucked into the Apple ecosystem. For many, particularly those who bought into it early on, it's very difficult and a lot of work to extract themselves from it; in other words, it's too costly in too many ways. In their shoes I would make the switch no matter what the cost but I'm biased.

The odd thing to me about Apple is that they've been like this since the Mac, screwing over customers for profit while their customers come back for more again and again. When I learned that in the case of some of their products it cost more to have them fixed than to buy a new one it was just one more shitty aspect of that shitty company--the very definition of a highly polished turd if ever there was one, IMHO.

As long as the US protects your sissy asses from China ;) and then there is the wild life that is trying to kill you.

China can't even successfully invade Taiwan, which is just off their coast.

Hardly concerned about them invading us LOL

It's going to take a year to charge a Tesla via a USB-C port. <Moves>

I understand the phones tablets and maybe cameras charging via USB-C but laptops require more power and use larger batteries. According to what data I can find, USB-C can provide a maximum of 3 amps a 5 volts. Current laptops have batteries in the 7.5 volt to 18 volt range and it requires a higher than battery voltage to charge a battery. My ASUS with an 11.4 volt battery has a 19 volt charger. If they drop the battery voltage to use the same batteries used in cell phones and tablets, they will require more of those batteries and take a long time to charge fully at 5 volts 3 amps.
USBC-PD uses variable voltage and can charge at up to 50V.
The device and charger set charge rate after a handshake. PD is currently maxed at 100w.
Current usbc cable maximum is 240W and this is called usbc epr

I couldn't care less since I've never owned an apple product.... But this some weird nanny state shit.
It's a bit nanny statish but Apple has some scummy business practices, notably their resistance to repair by the end-user or independent repair shops.

Apple locked batteries to specific Iphones. Apple does this to force the consumer to use their repair services and products. I do not now if Apple still pairs batteries to phones.

Several months ago I saw YT video of a guy try and replace the old battery on his late model Iphone (can't recall the model); he buys an identical model new Iphone and swaps the battery but the old Iphone still does not recognize the genuine new Apple battery (identical as the old battery). He concluded that Apple has locked batteries to specific phones and only their service center has the key to unlock. I can't find the video right now (but I am searching).

Report: Apple Has Activated Software Locks on iPhone Batteries to Discourage Third-Party Repairs
https://gizmodo.com/report-apple-has-activated-software-locks-on-iphone-ba-1837053225

--

Apple locks new iPhone batteries to prevent third-party repair, report says
It's yet another change to keep iPhone owners inside Apple's ecosystem.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...es-to-prevent-third-party-repair-report-says/

--
The E.U. decision seems like a win for consumers, so I think it's good.

Last edited:
I'm a libertarian and mostly think everything the government does is stupid.

This is a good idea though, I could get behind it.

I haven't owned an Apple product since I had a IIE as a kid, and don't support the "walled garden" approach in anything, but I also don't agree with legally requiring specific standardised cables.
If someone has a better system, they shouldn't be prevented from attempting to implement it. Usually it's actually detrimental not to adopt the most commonly used standards anyway.

The only thing better about the apple connect is that it is symmetrical. USB-A was stupid in not making it symmetrical.

Nationalizing worked for Venezuela it ought to work for the eu.
I think relying upon russian gas was a mistake, and the US sitting on oil and gas makes it cheaper for sure.

But countries in Europe are capping energy costs and nationalising power companies, I expect new best practice will emerge. I don't believe there will be outages.

The war has impacted things a lot, but it has not changed the quality of life to a great degree, and one can still move and work anywhere in the EU.

Take healthcare for example, just one of an endless list of reasons why the EU is preferable.

USB-C as a standard is a fucking mess.
components_adafruit_USB_C_graphic_outlines.png
Nothing like buying USB-C cables for your pS5 controllers to find out it won’t a) charge the controller or b) sync the damn thing to the system, but the damn thing works on the kids Xbox

or getting a y-shape cable that’s supposed to charge a headset and a controller, but will only work if each piece is plugged into their designated cable end.

USB C is shit, would rather have proprietary cables that work, than guess which cable works for what device and for what purpose.

We call them prawns not shrimp but I get what you're saying. Yes, Aussie here.

Apologies for the mischaracterization!

So basically you're on fire and owned by china right?

Call me cynical (it's okay, I am) but I would like to know their motivation for doing this. If it's a bill, like in the US, what else was in the bill? Who is really benefiting from this? Is anyone getting screwed? Who sponsored this and what led to it being passed?

I have just observed, at least in the US, bills that get passed often benefit corporations, and rarely the little guy. Often, not exclusively. Maybe this bill is one of those rare occurrences.

thats usually true in the us but european lawmakers often have the peoples best interests in mind in many ways that ours dont. our apples are even illegal in parts of europe because there is enough evidence that the pesticides we use cause cancer to ban them but there are so many other laws and protections they pass to help people that we dont.

Apologies for the mischaracterization!

So basically you're on fire and owned by china right?

On fire? Were setting all time records for the most rain we've ever seen actually.

Owned by China? Um no... but im sure they'd like that very much. They are certainly our biggest customer.

Back