Ever had to leave a gym you were happy training at, for personal reasons?

Couple of times actually, mostly because I kept moving before but now I'm more settled and happy with my new gym cause the owner is more chill and created this friendly vibe so mostly did developed a bond with other members

This is such a great topic, you guys are letting some dick troll you out of it. I've personally been training for over a decade so most my friends are now black belts who own schools, ect.

One guy would have prayers before and after class and use em to address his issues with individuals. I found it HILARIOUS!!! I'd actually look up during his prayers and point to the person he was talking about. He attempted to cultivate a real hero worship vibe so he wouldn't roll with certain people , shit like that. Again we both started as white so I gave no fucks about his nonsense. Just a come and go sorta place for me. He actually ran many of his students out with his behavior.

Another guy I kno lost his whole comp team with his behavior. One student is teaching privates, which this instructor brings him into. Meaning he asks the kid to do it, says no to a percentage, then gets upset when the parents begin to look at him as a legit coach. The guy is just phenomenal with kids, shrug. So coach gets threatened and tries to tax the guy as an independent contractor. Him and his brother leave the gym. Instructor gets upset people are still talking to them and closes up the competition team. They all leave to another ATT. Said instructor gets upset and confronts this other coach who is lowkey legendary, and gets put down. Rest is history. My relation to this event is I was friends with the comp team. We were all together from white to blue , but they leave for this guy. I'm like nahhhh , he's creepy , imma stay here y'all.

As in the technical tuition and training and everything, facilities, class time etc, everything bang on.

But perhaps you just didn't fit in there, with the general atmosphere encouraged and cultivated, as a person, you just go another way and it was better for all concerned, that you discontinue training there.

Anyone experience that?

It sucks right cause, you have to compromise this great practicality of good training, learning, progress, all cause as a person, you're basically not accepted.

Not for anything bizarre or "colorful", simply cause, in a conservative atmosphere, you refuse to adhere to those oppressive conventions.

i.e. you may be right and they may be wrong, but majority rules.

This you?

I'm still intimidated the lengths some forum users go to backsearch through others post history.

I honestly couldn't give AF enough about another poster to do so.

Still though, your question is valid.

See, the gym is a mix, actual solid competitors that win legit tournaments, day folk who just want to train and be fit, even down to gals who want to keep in shape an socialize a little.

It's got a tremendous reputation in terms of quality training, tuition and generally being a great place to train.

So yeah, how is it that I'm simply not accepted there?

That I walk through the door and sometimes I actually see the coaches face drop, as in, "not this fuckin' guy again" (and it's been like that from day 1).

Is my behavior unbecoming? .... Hell no.

Am I uncivilized?..... Hell no.

Is there anything specific in my actions to generate an aversive response?..... also, hell no.

Well, for now, all I can attribute it to is what I've always attributed my problems training in certain places to - being polarizing.

I just elicit that love/hate response, and when it's the hate response, continued or long term training is simply not possible.
I think you're trolling, but if not and you really can't understand why people feel this way about you, it's because you're a douchebag. Your extreme pomposity is visible from a mile away. Your "polarizing" nature is because your fellow condescending douche nozzles and feeble minded people who are impressed with your self-important attitude like you a lot. Everyone else thinks you're insufferable. My best friend in high school sounded almost exactly like you. He grew out of it in his mid to late 20's. Hopefully you do too.

Or better yet, hopefully you're just trolling and do a really good impression of an extremely pompous and insecure meathead.

I think you're trolling, but if not and you really can't understand why people feel this way about you, it's because you're a douchebag. Your extreme pomposity is visible from a mile away. Your "polarizing" nature is because your fellow condescending douche nozzles and feeble minded people who are impressed with your self-important attitude like you a lot. Everyone else thinks you're insufferable. My best friend in high school sounded almost exactly like you. He grew out of it in his mid to late 20's. Hopefully you do too.

Or better yet, hopefully you're just trolling and do a really good impression of an extremely pompous and insecure meathead.

I know to please a woman in bed.

Some cats hold that against me.

I think that might be the moral of the story here....?

Last edited:
Yes, I have left a gym that was "good" for personal reasons. The reason being it was a pretty far drive and my work schedule did not align with the practices. Great gym, great training, great people who trained there but just did not work with the distance from my home and the practice schedule.

See, the boxing coach who dismissed me also, he had a girlfriend - but he had no interest in her.

i.e. he has teh ghey.

He likes dudes.

But he's not openly ghey cause in a small town, if he openly came out as such, he'd be shunned as a respected former pro boxer.

i.e. his sex life ALSO not good.

The BJJ gym, coach there, dude never gets laid I mean, how could he?
He's a manlet, and not a jacked manlet or really with anything positive going on that would appeal to women, aside from running a successful business.

In the sexual realm though, I mean - sucks to be him - but I say with good confidence that, his sex life is largely non-existent.

Where as, way back when, thai boxing gym I was really taken in at like a family member, coach there was a total playboy.

He had a hot wife, but he nailed hotties on the side also, and chicks loved him.

And he was more than a coach to me, but also a mentor.

So is that the moral of this story?

To fit in at a gym or with a group and establish a positive relationship with a coach, he simply has to have a decent sex life and be happy with that part of his life and relationships, which will reflect in his behavior and ability to basically not hate a man such as me by default (which the aforementioned coaches, clearly did).

I mean, I'd been looking for some kind of an explanation, why I fit in some places so well, yet am ostracized from others, and I think that maybe it.

Kind of sucks in one way cause yeah, I'm potentially being deprived of easy access to local training which is technically sound, but I honestly don't see any other way around matters here.

The latest place I was at, was the polar opposite.

No dirty techniques of any kind, but there was still plenty of creeped out homosexual maneuvers.

I was rolling with this real closet queen no-gi, and every opportunity he had, he'd try to caress my nipples and abs through the rash guard, no shame.
End of the class, I saw him approaching me to catch a grope, and knew if he did, I was gonna headbutt him.
He sensed my potential aggressive stance and thought better of indulging his creeped out sexual tendencies.

He was an assistant coach there also, so after that I basically decided, you know what - this owner is trying to run a club.

Maybe they're in the wrong but, as best I can tell, I bring out negative attention from other people and no one else in the class does so, I'm sure he doesn't want his business disrupted by a polarizing individual who's creating tension between other club members (who have no problems with anyone other than me) and himself.

When I say polarizing it normally means love/hate. So the entire class hated me, who loved me?
The owners daughter who worked reception, developed the biggest crush on me.

That's what it seems to come down to here.

Basically I elicit what would appear largely, frustration from other members.

So I don't think I'm in the wrong, but ultimately everyone in the class ended up hating me so was easier for all concerned if I just left.

Hahaha fuck. This is a masterpiece. These posts don't deserve to be buried in the grappling sub. Some of the best stuff I've read in a while.

Where as, way back when, thai boxing gym I was really taken in at like a family member, coach there was a total playboy.

He had a hot wife, but he nailed hotties on the side also, and chicks loved him.

And he was more than a coach to me, but also a mentor.

So is that the moral of this story?

To fit in at a gym or with a group and establish a positive relationship with a coach, he simply has to have a decent sex life and be happy with that part of his life and relationships, which will reflect in his behavior and ability to basically not hate a man such as me by default (which the aforementioned coaches, clearly did).

I mean, I'd been looking for some kind of an explanation, why I fit in some places so well, yet am ostracized from others, and I think that maybe it.

Kind of sucks in one way cause yeah, I'm potentially being deprived of easy access to local training which is technically sound, but I honestly don't see any other way around matters here.
I've read posts from this guy and he seemed like an ok poster. Why did he get banned? Sometimes I see 'banned' on someone who I saw around the forums for a few years and wonder what's the story there?

They took over the entire gym. The original owner sold it to the long time bjj instructor who’s a really nice guy but very non confrontational and was always high the entire time. These brothers came in and started training twice a day seven days a week and ended up running the warmups, controlling the music, and just dominating the atmosphere of the gym. I actually really like them but the problem is they were way too competitive and couldn’t accept losing. I was better than them so they would go hard as fuck against me then bitch whenever I would sub them or take them down because I’m too big.

What ended up making me leave was at the end of a class I was really beat up, had a bad neck that was all locked up, tendinitis in my arms, etc. and didn’t want to roll. My coach goes ah come on go with aj he wants to learn (he’s the youngest brother and just started but was huge and pretty good) so I did a light roll with him started on my back. I ended up doing a little flower sweep got on top and locked in a kimura and didn’t crank it. I slowly started pulling it back towards his head and he wasn’t tapping so I said this is where you tap and he goes no it doesn’t hurt so I slowly keep getting it tighter until he finally said ok. We get up that was the end of the round but he started swinging his arm like his shoulder is hurt.

Right away his brother comes up to me and goes let’s go so I lay on my ass let him pass and he’s fired up I could tell from his energy. He mounts and tries to get a no gi Ezekiel on me but it wasnt working. I roll him over and just stay in his guard til the round is over shake his hand and that was it. Until the other brother who’s the worst to roll with and injures everyone stands over me and goes “get up”. I’m like no I’m good I’m all beat up and he goes “no get up we’re going” so I say nah I’m done for the night I don’t just follow your orders” and he starts getting all fired up being like “you fucking pussy come on” and the other two circle around me. So I go what is this are you trying to throw punches and kicks in there too and he’s like “Yeah bro lets do that too!”. And I said fuck it I have work tomorrow, turn around and the coach was sitting right next to us the whole time never said a fucking thing.

No one did in the whole class, guys I would drill with, help, show techniques to, nobody said shit. I sit next to the coach and go are you ok with this? At first he pretended he didn’t see anything then all he had to say was ah that’s just rob no big deal. So I shook his hand said thank you for everything gave him my belt and left. Never went back again.
This should be posted to their Yelp, you will literally save people's lives from being potentially ruined.

This should be posted to their Yelp, you will literally save people's lives from being potentially ruined.
Yeah but I don’t want to fuck over my friends who still train there. But it is a gym of thugs, except they are all a bunch of white belts.

Yeah but I don’t want to fuck over my friends who still train there. But it is a gym of thugs, except they are all a bunch of white belts.
Lol cmon bro, they aren't your friends with the way they reacted when that happened to you. Nor is anyone there at that establishment. A real friend would say something for you, a real :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: would say something and punch that motherfucker in the head for good measure.

Back