Everlast 4305 Bag Mitt Review

Have you ever hit the bags with MMA gloves on? Or is that a step too far?

No. It's because when you wear gloves with a lot of padding and wrist support, you lose any real sense or feedback regarding how and where you're landing punches and whether your wrists are properly aligned. Your punches end up being not as sharp as they could be. Even occasional use of mitts is beneficial.

Think of doing knuckle push-ups with gloves on vs. without gloves. You get a lot more benefit in terms of learning how to make a proper fist along with a sense of proper wrist and forearm alignment with the latter. You also get a sense of where exactly the pressure should be on your knuckles in order to prevent wrist sprains. It's harder to do initially, but it pays off.

It's not terribly complicated I don't think. Not for everyone. But I think it should help most.

No. It's because when you wear gloves with a lot of padding and wrist support, you lose any real sense or feedback regarding how and where you're landing punches and whether your wrists are properly aligned. Your punches end up being not as sharp as they could be. Even occasional use of mitts is beneficial.

Think of doing knuckle push-ups with gloves on vs. without gloves. You get a lot more benefit in terms of learning how to make a proper fist along with a sense of proper wrist and forearm alignment with the latter. You also get a sense of where exactly the pressure should be on your knuckles in order to prevent wrist sprains. It's harder to do initially, but it pays off.

It's not terribly complicated I don't think. Not for everyone. But I think it should help most.

Yep, that's about the crux of it.

I've wanted to try using mma gloves for the bag. I have a pair of these:
2379929503_0b15526172_z.jpg

might have to give them a try one of these days.

Haven't tried.
Fair enough. I don't recommend it but it's certainly very realistic.

Surely you can have too much of a good thing though. My joints aside, when I've used mitts (Reyes) in the past I just felt my middle knuckle hitting first everytime and bruised the fuck out of it... What was I doing wrong? Or is it a case of man up and get through it it'll be worth it long term?

Fair enough. I don't recommend it but it's certainly very realistic.

Surely you can have too much of a good thing though. My joints aside, when I've used mitts (Reyes) in the past I just felt my middle knuckle hitting first everytime and bruised the fuck out of it... What was I doing wrong? Or is it a case of man up and get through it it'll be worth it long term?
I usually use mitts 5x a week (12 rds) and have not had any serious issues besides occasional skinning. No bruising though and the joints don't hurt. Truthfully, I've had more issues with that sort of stuff on account of either using extra knuckle padding (NG-2s) or how I wrapped my hand. Idk what it's ultimately related to, though.

That said, I think mitts (with dense, not fluffy padding) are worth committing to. It was annoying initially, but now I can't imagine not using them on the heavy bag.

I usually use mitts 5x a week (12 rds) and have not had any serious issues besides occasional skinning. No bruising though and the joints don't hurt. Truthfully, I've had more issues with that sort of stuff on account of either using extra knuckle padding (NG-2s) or how I wrapped my hand. Idk what it's ultimately related to, though.

That said, I think mitts (with dense, not fluffy padding) are worth committing to. It was annoying initially, but now I can't imagine not using them on the heavy bag.
12 rounds x 5 you mean? what's your weight and hand measurements like?

12, 3-min rounds, 5 times a week. Currently, weight is about 80kg. What do you mean by hand measurements?
Like, what's your wrist width? Hand length and width? With how you go through gloves, I always assumed you were like, 90kg+

Like, what's your wrist width? Hand length and width? With how you go through gloves, I always assumed you were like, 90kg+
Haha, no. I am usually between 75–80kg.

If I recall, our hands are similar sizes, at least in terms of length. I don't have a ruler with me, but I will let you know later. My wrists are probably average if not even slightly less than average. Hands are slightly larger than average. Idk if that helps.

@dembones22

almost bid on those but didn't. The prettiest I've seen were a Spartan pair - I believe rskbreaker gave them to an MMA glove fan.

Haha, no. I am usually between 75–80kg.

If I recall, our hands are similar sizes, at least in terms of length. I don't have a ruler with me, but I will let you know later. My wrists are probably average if not even slightly less than average. Hands are slightly larger than average. Idk if that helps.
every few hours of every day, I check to see if you have posted your hand info, and I come away feeling sad, so very sad

every few hours of every day, I check to see if you have posted your hand info, and I come away feeling sad, so very sad
My mistake, Jacobim.

Length from tip of middle finger to bottom of palm: 20cm. Width (from knuckle to knuckle): 10.5cm. Wrist: 18cm.

Hope that helps.

My mistake, Jacobim.

Length from tip of middle finger to bottom of palm: 20cm. Width (from knuckle to knuckle): 10.5cm. Wrist: 18cm.

Hope that helps.
Ah okay, mine would be 22cm for length, 8cm for width, 16cm around the wrist. 10.5 for width seems very big unless we're measuring it in a different way, or I guess you just have big hands which makes sense to me. Not sure what this reveals but fascinating nonetheless.

Last edited:
Ah okay, mine would be 22cm for length, 8cm for width, 16cm around the wrist. 10.5 for width seems very big unless we're measuring it in a different way, or I guess you just have big hands which makes sense to me. Not sure what this reveals but fascinating nonetheless.

In what way is it fascinating

I have big palms? Are you measuring from one end to the other where the knuckles are?

I have big palms? Are you measuring from one end to the other where the knuckles are?
yup, well, over the top of it anyway, not letting the tape measure wrap around over the knuckles and from the sides to each other, if that makes sense

Back