Opinion Every country bordering Afghanistan has a border wall that is armed. Crazy

Got a source for that? Sounds like bs the deposed Afghan government would say to deflect blame from themselves or what Indian right winger politicians would say to try and push for western economic sanctions on Pakistan.
Its a joke but everyone knows the Pakistani ISI has contacts with the Afghan Taliban. Its not because Pakistan is evil, any sane nation is going to want to secure influence in a neighboring one if it can.

Its a love-hate relationship because of course the Pakistani Taliban is a thorn in their side as well.

Its a joke but everyone knows the Pakistani ISI has contacts with the Afghan Taliban. Its not because Pakistan is evil, any sane nation is going to want to secure influence in a neighboring one if it can.

Its a love-hate relationship because of course the Pakistani Taliban is a thorn in their side as well.
True the Afghan government used Pak Taliban to attack Pakistan when they were throwing hissy fits that Pakistan didn't help them and Pakistan used Afghan Taliban to retaliate. Just proxy warfare which every country in the region or politically invested in the region (America/China/India) does.

Tribalism still rules the area, and there's three times as many Pashtuns in Pakistan as Afghanistan.
Of course they can't secure the border. You can guess how much they care about a theoretical line drawn by some Brit (Durand) in the late 1800s.
Ehh most Pakistanis Pashtuns arent too keen on Afghan Pashuns coming into there lands anymore. The criminals will always promote and welcome trafficking though.

walls dont work .. its been proven time and time again... tunnels were used by isis isil and taliban as well as mexico (because thats where you were headed)
planes and helicopters have been a thing for quite some time as well

Try putting millions per year through some tunnels

Ehh most Pakistanis Pashtuns arent too keen on Afghan Pashuns coming into there lands anymore. The criminals will always promote and welcome trafficking though.

Aren't a lot of the Pashtun tribes cross border? I mean I know it was those living in Afghanistan that have officially refused to recognise the Durant line, and then from the Soviet invasion on there were millions that moved from Afghanistan to living and working in Pakistan. Although my picture is no doubt skewed by the waves of Afghan migrants/refugees here (I've encountered a lot through work and study), which are disproportionately formed from minority groups from the region, like Baloch Bahai.

Aren't a lot of the Pashtun tribes cross border? I mean I know it was those living in Afghanistan that have officially refused to recognise the Durant line, and then from the Soviet invasion on there were millions that moved from Afghanistan to living and working in Pakistan. Although my picture is no doubt skewed by the waves of Afghan migrants/refugees here (I've encountered a lot through work and study), which are disproportionately formed from minority groups from the region, like Baloch Bahai.
You are right a lot of Pashtun tribes are cross border but the thing about Pakistan is a lot of our Pashtun population in urban areas like KPK and Peshawar have shifted from a society run by fedual tribe leaders ruling over rural and nomadic communities to one governed by Pashtun and KPK born politicians ruling ovwr urban communities. Because of this there bonds are not as strong with there family members still living in tribe type of setting in Afghanistan. The big thing is though the national government of Pakistan has always given huge amounts of autonomy to each province and there politicians. So with Afghan Pashtuns coming into developed areas of KPK most of time they are involved in illegal activites and are not welcomed there too much. This is just my 2 cents on whats going on there.

You aspire to be someone who shits next to a tree and wipes their ass with a stick.

Meanwhile Rome had running water 2000 years ago.

I'll take western civilization thanks.
Rather a broad brush to paint Amerindian civilizations with..

Potable water and sanitation in Tenochtitlan: Aztec culture

A source of clean drinking water is essential, and the Aztecs were quite advanced in providing it. While London still drew its drinking water from the polluted Thames River as late as 1854, the Aztecs brought potable water to Tenochtitlán from springs on the mainland by means of the aqueduct built by Nezahualcoyotl between 1466 and 1478. A second aqueduct was constructed in 1,499–1,500 by the ruler Ahuizotl when the first aqueduct became inadequate. Although the Aztecs had no citywide drainage system, and much of the wastewater ended up in the lake surrounding the city, they had a system to handle human waste by means of privies in all public places and many private dwellings from which excrement was collected in canoes. The excrement was applied as fertilizer to chinampas (floating parcels of land) or sold in the market to be used for tanning animal hides. Urine was collected in pottery vessels to be used later as a mordant for dyeing cloth. The Tenochtitlán environment was obviously healthy for its time, especially in comparison to European cities. Public and personal hygiene contributed to minimize the incidence and severity of illnesses.

https://iwaponline.com/ws/article-a...in-Tenochtitlan-Aztec?redirectedFrom=fulltext

--

According to 16th century chronicles made by friars and Spanish soldiers, the territory that is now Mexico City was once perceived as the “Venice of America,” where the conquistadors found temples that were up to 40 meters tall (131.2ft), a height that was difficult to reach for a building at that time.

Spanish conquistador Bernal Díaz del Castillo left a testimony of the Spaniards' first impression upon arriving at the magnificent city: "When we saw so many cities and villages built in the water and other great towns on dry land we were amazed and said that it was like the enchantments (...) on account of the great towers and cues and buildings rising from the water, and all built of masonry. And some of our soldiers even asked whether the things that we saw were not a dream? (...) I do not know how to describe it, seeing things as we did that had never been heard of or seen before, not even dreamed about."

https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/english/tenochtitlan-ancient-city-amazed-hernan-cortes

--

Tenochtitlan, the hub of the Aztec empire, so impressed Hernan Cortes and his men when they first set eyes on it in March 1519 that the Spanish conquistador thought long and hard about whether to replace the metropolis of imposing temples - some as high as 40m (131ft) - with a European city.

The territory now occupied by Mexico City was described by Spanish soldiers and missionaries as the Venice of the Americas.

https://www.efe.com/efe/english/lif...red-preserving-aztec-capital/50000263-3974632

Rather a broad brush to paint Amerindian civilizations with..

Potable water and sanitation in Tenochtitlan: Aztec culture

A source of clean drinking water is essential, and the Aztecs were quite advanced in providing it. While London still drew its drinking water from the polluted Thames River as late as 1854, the Aztecs brought potable water to Tenochtitlán from springs on the mainland by means of the aqueduct built by Nezahualcoyotl between 1466 and 1478. A second aqueduct was constructed in 1,499–1,500 by the ruler Ahuizotl when the first aqueduct became inadequate. Although the Aztecs had no citywide drainage system, and much of the wastewater ended up in the lake surrounding the city, they had a system to handle human waste by means of privies in all public places and many private dwellings from which excrement was collected in canoes. The excrement was applied as fertilizer to chinampas (floating parcels of land) or sold in the market to be used for tanning animal hides. Urine was collected in pottery vessels to be used later as a mordant for dyeing cloth. The Tenochtitlán environment was obviously healthy for its time, especially in comparison to European cities. Public and personal hygiene contributed to minimize the incidence and severity of illnesses.

https://iwaponline.com/ws/article-a...in-Tenochtitlan-Aztec?redirectedFrom=fulltext

--

According to 16th century chronicles made by friars and Spanish soldiers, the territory that is now Mexico City was once perceived as the “Venice of America,” where the conquistadors found temples that were up to 40 meters tall (131.2ft), a height that was difficult to reach for a building at that time.

Spanish conquistador Bernal Díaz del Castillo left a testimony of the Spaniards' first impression upon arriving at the magnificent city: "When we saw so many cities and villages built in the water and other great towns on dry land we were amazed and said that it was like the enchantments (...) on account of the great towers and cues and buildings rising from the water, and all built of masonry. And some of our soldiers even asked whether the things that we saw were not a dream? (...) I do not know how to describe it, seeing things as we did that had never been heard of or seen before, not even dreamed about."

https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/english/tenochtitlan-ancient-city-amazed-hernan-cortes

--

Tenochtitlan, the hub of the Aztec empire, so impressed Hernan Cortes and his men when they first set eyes on it in March 1519 that the Spanish conquistador thought long and hard about whether to replace the metropolis of imposing temples - some as high as 40m (131ft) - with a European city.

The territory now occupied by Mexico City was described by Spanish soldiers and missionaries as the Venice of the Americas.

https://www.efe.com/efe/english/lif...red-preserving-aztec-capital/50000263-3974632

That's great, they also did human sacrifice.

I knew you would come back with that whataboutism, which is totally irrelevant to your earlier comment about pooping and running water.

I ask that you read the entire asinine presentation that was given leading up to that comment. He is not well versed in history.

Let's all be honest, it take a very special level of stupidity or willful ignorance to try and claim that walls do nothing.
Do they stop absolutely everything? No. But it takes a very special level of stupidity or willful ignorance to argue from the position that they're supposed to.

If people bring up tunnels or aircraft to dismiss the value of walls, you can probably quite safely dismiss those people's opinions without missing out on anything.

They are very effective against average people but vastly less so for highly motivated and organised groups.

They are very effective against average people but vastly less so for highly motivated and organised groups.
The vast majority of people are average so if you first weed them out you're ahead of the game. If you don't have to worry about the million dumb, slow zombies then you've bought yourself time to prepare for the dozen fast smart ones.

If I had a herd of deadly cattle around my property I'd be fencing that shit off for sure... Can't risk getting gored...

I ask that you read the entire asinine presentation that was given leading up to that comment. He is not well versed in history.
Man, I am not wading through pages of argument. I feel my response can standalone because I was only commenting on the technological level of Amerindian civilization.

The Romans were pretty barbaric too. Rather sadistic to like watching people being eaten alive. Roman Candles were evil.

--

The Roman Candle, from which the popular firework allegedly derives its name, was originally a torture mechanism whereby Christians were set ablaze for the amusement of the Emperor Nero.
https://historycollection.com/20-of...e-cant-believe-living-souls-had-to-endure/13/

'crimminals' , slaves and Christians were fed to wild animals for the amusement of the public
https://www.livescience.com/53615-horrors-of-the-colosseum.html

Back