Evolucao Thai Toronto BJJ

Flow'n

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if Fernando Vieira is still teaching at Evolucao Thai in Toronto? I haven't been able to get ahold of the guy for a couple weeks and just saw his profile was taken off of their website.

Thanks

No problem.
In all likelyhood he will end up back in Brazil, I'm not sure when.

If it's because you want to train there, I believe they are bringing in Charles Leite and currently have a local brown belt subbing (yes pun).

wtf guys. what is it with bjj guys and raping?

He was charged with raping a female associated with the club.
There is video evidence.
Not the place to be training at IMO.
This shit has got to stop to many assholes ruining it for everyone else.

Could you please let us all know how got this tidbit of info?

Its some serious accusations for someone who just joined sherdog and has 3 posts

He was charged with raping a female associated with the club.
There is video evidence.
Not the place to be training at IMO.
This shit has got to stop to many assholes ruining it for everyone else.

Sounds eerily similar to the TLI situation.

Is this a sick joke?

The way this is being handled is absurd.
The first thing the owners should have done is released a public apology regarding the situation.
You can't sweep this shit under the rug.
This is really bad and trying to hide it speaks to the character of the people running this academy.

Iseewhatyoudidthere.jpg
kind of a jerk move, though.

My name is Alaina Hardie and I am a purple belt who trains at Evolucao.

The owners of the gym took these accusations VERY seriously. It is absolutely not true that anybody is trying to brush it under the rug. But it has not gone to trial yet, so nobody who knows anything about it can talk about it. I will say that he was not charged with rape.

In any case, we're bringing in Charles Leite, a Demian Maia black belt, in the next couple of weeks: just waiting for logistics. In the meantime, most of the classes are being taught by Kareem (black belt), Spencer (black belt), and Lachlan (brown belt).

Okay, so first of all, I don't know who you are or why you care (though I have a guess), but it sounds like you want to stir up shit. He's not at the academy any more. He is being replaced with another excellent black belt who was hand-picked by Demian Maia to lead the BJJ program at Evolucao, so of course any mention of Fernando has been taken down. Would you prefer that they left his picture on the website with a big red X through it? What did you think was going to happen?

I am most definitely not saying that the accusations aren't proven until trial, and you only got that by misinterpreting what I wrote. I said that the people who actually know the details have been warned by the police to be careful about what they say in public before trial. I was the one who called the police, so I know EXACTLY what happened, and the police were the ones who suggested that I not talk about the details in public. If you want to know why, call the police and ask them, or talk to a lawyer.

If you own an academy or work for someone who does--I'm pretty confident I know either who you are or who you work for--you must know the legal implications of a business talking about an employee who has been charged but not convicted.

I am a paying student at Evolucao, and I've been training there for a couple of months. I have no financial interest in the gym, and I do not speak for or represent the gym or its management in any way apart from coaching our competitors at Omar's tournament this weekend. I am a woman who looks out for her friends and training partners, and who tries very hard to do the right thing even though it isn't the easy thing. I spoke with the victim about this thread last night and asked her what she was comfortable with me saying. So why don't you wait until we work that out? At her request I have spoken privately with a few of the male black belts and some of the female blue/purple/brown belts in the community and told them the story, so it's not like the information isn't out there. Or you can contact me privately and I will meet you in person. Again, my name is Alaina Hardie, the pink-haired BJJ girl you see at all of the tournaments, and all you have to do is ask any number of my friends at your academy for my phone number.

Last edited:
Okay, so first of all, I don't know who you are or why you care (though I have a guess), but it sounds like you want to stir up shit. He's not at the academy any more. He is being replaced with another excellent black belt who was hand-picked by Demian Maia to lead the BJJ program at Evolucao, so of course any mention of Fernando has been taken down. Would you prefer that they left his picture on the website with a big red X through it? What did you think was going to happen?

I am most definitely not saying that the accusations aren't proven until trial, and you only got that by misinterpreting what I wrote. I said that the people who actually know the details have been warned by the police to be careful about what they say in public before trial. I was the one who called the police, so I know EXACTLY what happened, and the police were the ones who suggested that I not talk about the details in public. If you want to know why, call the police and ask them, or talk to a lawyer.

If you own an academy or work for someone who does--I'm pretty confident I know either who you are or who you work for--you must know the legal implications of a business talking about an employee who has been charged but not convicted.

I am a paying student at Evolucao, and I've been training there for a couple of months. I have no financial interest in the gym, and I do not speak for or represent the gym or its management in any way apart from coaching our competitors at Omar's tournament this weekend. I am a woman who looks out for her friends and training partners, and who tries very hard to do the right thing even though it isn't the easy thing. I spoke with one of the victims about this thread last night and asked her what she was comfortable with me saying. So why don't you wait until we work that out? At her request I have spoken privately with a few of the male black belts and some of the female blue/purple/brown belts in the community and told them the story, so it's not like the information isn't out there. Or you can contact me privately and I will meet you in person. Again, my name is Alaina Hardie, the pink-haired BJJ girl you see at all of the tournaments, and all you have to do is ask any number of my friends at your academy for my phone number.

Well said Alaina and good for you for calling the police.

Unrelated but deserving - you're a wicked ref.

Jorge Britto from Toronto BJJ is holding a free self defense seminar for women in light of the recent events of horrible violence both in NY and Toronto.

http://instagram.com/p/UhqyklMsPR/

These few individuals don't represent the BJJ community.

Well said Alaina and good for you for calling the police.

Unrelated but deserving - you're a wicked ref.

Thanks, that's very kind of you to say. :)

It's a dishonourable, cowardly move for this guy to get on here, take something like this event, and anonymously try to turn it into bad-mouthing another academy. If I don't get a call from this person today, I think it's safe to say that this is someone whose intent is not to protect or support victims, but instead to create trouble.

And kudos to Professor Britto for offering that seminar. I have a whole lot of respect for him.

I completely agree that one should be careful in discussing such matters; however, the exact nature of the charges against Mr. Vieira is presumably a matter of public record.

Incidentally, since you were forthright in disclosing your identity, I watched some of your grappling matches. You are a very skilled grappler -- my compliments.

Here is the statement the victim has asked me to make:

1. We are a very close knit community. As such, the victim's request to keep this off of the forums and social media has been honoured.
2. Most heads of schools were phoned immediately and spoken to directly by those close to the victim. If you were not contacted it was because you were not acquainted with the victim and/or you has no association with the accused.
3. Keeping a traumatic event off public forums is not "sweeping it under the rug". It is a testament to the level of respect that the members of the Canadian and Toronto jiu-jitsu community have for the victim and all women.

The vicim is humbled by the outpouring of concern and care from the community. Aside from a singular troll, many have contacted her to offer support and well wishes for her continued recovery.

She also asked me to convey (and I agree) that the behaviour of the user calling himself "Camo1" is odious and reprehensible. In no way did you act in a manner that expressed concern for this victim or other women; you simply tried to use the misfortune of a victum to implicate the academy in a non-existent cover-up. You disgust me.

If you truly care and want to know how you can contribute, contact me.

Alaina Hardie
Toronto, ON

Back