Exercise that had Carryover to other Exercises

Noodles03

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear your experience with exercises that had carryover to your other exercises.

Mine were the barbell hip thrust and kettlebell swings. The barbell hip thrust helped with my squat, especially at the bottom phase of squat and the kettlebell swings helped with my deadlift.

I'm curious to hear your experience with exercises that had carryover to your other exercises.

Mine were the barbell hip thrust and kettlebell swings. The barbell hip thrust helped with my squat, especially at the bottom phase of squat and the kettlebell swings helped with my deadlift.

Barbell bent over rows helped my pull ups. Back when I used to train like an idiot, I used to start and/or end every workout with a set of AMRAP pull ups but would stall around 15. After 2 or 3 months of doing BORs in place of cable pulldowns, I hit high 20's and eventually low 30's for reps.

Deadlifts to the knee and deadlifts with a pause right below the knee.

Split squats.

Board presses and extra wide grip bench press.

I increased my front squat quite a bit without training it at all besides maxing every month or so. It was directly from increasing my back squat.

Front squat had quite a bit of carryover to push press as well, however, my push press didn't really increase my strict press by much.

Greasing the groove with push ups and pullups seem to help me with heavier pressing/pulling. It could be placebo but my workouts seem to go better when I add some more frequency in with easier exercises. Recovery seems a little better too.

I've found that calisthenics have really helped my strength generally as you can work all the stabiliser muscles without taxing yourself too much. My bench for example got a lot smoother after I started to do daily slow pressups.

Isn’t it pretty much the consensus that a big squat means also having a big DL? Even if you don’t train DL. Certainly was the case for me(relatively speaking, I don’t consider myself to be incredibly strong or anything).

Do you think you would of gotten the same results if you replaced barbell bent over rows with dumbbell rows?

For me the answer was no but I'm sure it depends on the individual and how relatively strong you are. I previously did dumbbell rows on "back & bis" day along with cable pulldowns and whatever else I saw in the bro splits routine from 90's muscle mags. At the time I didn't understand that assistance exercises like most dumbbell lifts are only productive if you're already past novice level in the basic powerlifting lifts.

Assistant lifts with bands helped me in damn near every lift.

Doing more Tricep extensions helped my bench. I was having tougher time with the lockout phase of the lift than getting the bar off my chest.

I remember heavy rack pulls being good for grip strength in my deadlift when that was a limiting factor. Alternating lunges are great as well. Back squat always increased front squat. Always found as well that sumo deads carried over to my squat better than conventional. Deadlifting conventional my squat was never as high as when deadlifting sumo, even at pretty close deadlift 1rms.

Burpees are more work on a wrestling mat over rubber flooring. The bouncy foam uses more energy on the push-up and jump

I've actually always found my conditioning improved a lot when I was making sure to get a lot of steady state conditioning in. I was my leanest, and performed my best across 5 rounds.

I've actually always found my conditioning improved a lot when I was making sure to get a lot of steady state conditioning in. I was my leanest, and performed my best across 5 rounds.

How often were you doing your steady state cardio and HIIT?

Front squats and clean grip pulls helped me add 30lbs to power clean in roughly 8wks.

*alas it still sucks

How often were you doing your steady state cardio and HIIT?

Steady state was 4 times a week or so. Various types of HIIT training were usually 2 or 3 times a week, often after a strength session. Of course, with MT the training is, in and of itself, sport-specific interval work, and that was done 5 or 6 days a week.

Weight vest squats tide me over real good for barbell squats. I had barely touched squats over the last 3 years, as a result of back injury, osteoarthritis. So, I tend to front squat where I can and deadlift for my main compounds. I did find though that the weight vest and split squat from a chair, without weights, manages to somehow retain strength for me. All weight vest squats are 20+ reps for multiple sets, on 25kg vest.

When Muay Thai was 80 percent of my exercising life, clean and press and/or deadlifts were something that made me genuinely recognise explosive increases. Those two exercises, almost exclusively I wish I'd learned when younger.

Now, paralette pull ups (horizontal to floor, raised feet) and weight vest push ups definitely carry over to clean and press for me.

Back