Exercises for more explosive hooks?

BodybagJohnny**

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Weird question. I do a lot of plyometrics in order to improve my explosiveness--things like box jumps and medicine ball slams for example.

But does anyone have a specific exercise for the kind of trunk rotation you'd use when throwing a hook? I suppose you could rotate with a medicine ball and throw it against the wall or one of those trampoline type deals.

Thoughts?

I probably would just work hooks against pads / heavybag in isolation, but maybe some banded work if you're looking into implementing that sort of thing?

To clarify what I mean, a bit like Judoka do with uchi komi bands, but instead you use them for hooks.

To clarify what I mean, a bit like Judoka do with uchi komi bands, but instead you use them for hooks.

Had to look that up. Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking--something with resistance bands.

Med ball side throws are good. 3 sets of 10 each side to start with a 4 or 5kg ball. Emphasis on the legs doing the work, use a heavier ball and less reps as you progress. Great exercise for isolating the hips and increasing that whip in the torso

Probably better clips than that but you get the gist

One I like thats a bit fancy for my taste (im a very bare bones heavy lifting, sprints, basic stuff type of guy):

have a partner throw a med ball to you at decent speed, catch it, but as you catch it kind of have it where you catch then ease into pivoting off to the side like you're loading up for a body rip (while holding it). Then explode by throwing it chest pass style to the wall.

of course, if you are in an place made of cheap drywall do not do this

Keep in mind for plyos what alot of people dont get is that its basically a similar strain on your system like max effort lifting. If you can do more than 3-5 reps, you're not really doing a true service to the exercise. If you're doing typical "explosive" movements while able to do stuff like 3-4 x 10-15, you're basically doing conditioning, its not working explosive strength. Your effort is supposed to be like a sprint, you're exerting maximal effort but in a dynamic way

Last edited:
Yeah, I have a bunch of UchiKomi resistance tube movements that are hooks. I can isolate the arm and keep my core stationary for arm strengthening or I rotate my core or blend feet, hips(core) arm into one which is closer to a Kuzushi unbalancing movement.

If you want to specifically work the rotational muscles in your core then bands are probably your best bet.

Focus on the mechanics of the punch as well. Really rip that rear shoulder back
Yes I would say this before looking at implementing any specific exercise ideas - just get your hook technique absolutely nailed down and practice, practice, practice - perfect practice makes perfect.

Focus on the mechanics of the punch as well. Really rip that rear shoulder back

Benny was always adamant that the power of the hook should come from the combination, just heavily drill that right cross left hook right cross left hook combination until it's easier than breathing.

The recoil of the right cross should propel the left hook and vice versa, as you said.

He'd also come up on the left heel with the left hook, raising it slightly while pivoting the whole body from the feet up into that left hook and then pivot right back into the right cross.

Last edited:
any exercise to build muscle either weight lifting or punching stiffens the muscles but if you really want to be explosive you have to train the kinetic chain and loosen up, if you want to be explosive then you have to become faster, if you wear weights, then remove them or lift close to RM then the muscle feels lighter and is faster since neurons fire faster but it does nothing for explosiveness as this starts from the legs and involves the whole body, it's more of a coordination technique rather than pure strength when a muscle fires their antagonist muscle also fires to balance the movement but this hampers the motion, how do you turn off the antagonist muscles in succession? this is entirely neurological and can't be trained only by weight training, the biggest muscles in the kinetic chain of the punch are the ass muscles so in order to punch more explosively you really have to train your ass <45>

Last edited:
Weird question. I do a lot of plyometrics in order to improve my explosiveness--things like box jumps and medicine ball slams for example.

But does anyone have a specific exercise for the kind of trunk rotation you'd use when throwing a hook? I suppose you could rotate with a medicine ball and throw it against the wall or one of those trampoline type deals.

Thoughts?

Work on technique to improve your hook. You can throw as many medicine balls as you want, but of your technique has some part of it slowing down your rotation, you won't get as much power.

Thoughts?
The power of my hook comes mainly from shoulder whirl. The trunk rotation is secondary.
Just drill alot of air punching.
You can add resistance bands if you want a bit more.

Thoughts?

@Dexter and @Sano will be able to give you the most comprehensive answers imo.

Back