Extremely high reps

TheHighFly

Fly high above all expectations
@White
Reaction score
Soo, I know JaxBlade isn't the BEST source of info or anything, but I know he's knowledgeable somewhat in the field for doing it so long, was wondering on your opinion of this:

Now, reason I ask; is because I remember looking at Mike Tysons workout(cus d'amato era especially) where he was doing some insane reps, same with some other boxer workouts of that era, I was wondering what the actual benefits are to doing this, and why most people don't train for that max muscle endurance, especially for a sport like MMA where, as Joe Rogan would say: "It's not a sprint, it's a marathon" Just wanting opinions.

Joe's wrong, its a marathon with sprints.

and why is that? Already said Jax isn't a super credible source or anything, he's just been personal training and learning about the body for a bit, but he's not the one who got me thinking about this; Like I said, Tyson and tons of other OG training routines had ridiculous calisthenics reps, so what's the problem?

To be fair, combat sports in terms of S&C is pretty behind compared to the progress other sports have gotten. That being said, while everyone thinks and romanticizes about knockouts, power, explosiveness in combat sports, it is for the most part, an endurance sport.

How hard of a "sprint" your fight is dependent on your round duration. If your sport is of 3 x 2min, yeah its more sprint compared to a 5 x 3min fight

To be fair, combat sports in terms of S&C is pretty behind compared to the progress other sports have gotten. That being said, while everyone thinks and romanticizes about knockouts, power, explosiveness in combat sports, it is for the most part, an endurance sport.

How hard of a "sprint" your fight is dependent on your round duration. If your sport is of 3 x 2min, yeah its more sprint compared to a 5 x 3min fight
This is my point, I'm just trying to figure out what we're behind on and learn as much as possible from other sports and try to optimize ourselves as much as possible, I think it's great to do explosiveness, but everyone focuses on MAXIMUM explosiveness, then they gas out hard(Conor Mcgregor *cough*) instead of explosive endurance, if someone was doing aztec pushups(just for example) for even just 50+ reps, instead of 5-10 in sets of 3 with a weight vest, they'd be more accustomed to the endurance aspect while still having explosive muscle fibers and their nervous system, used to that training.

This is my point, I'm just trying to figure out what we're behind on and learn as much as possible from other sports and try to optimize ourselves as much as possible, I think it's great to do explosiveness, but everyone focuses on MAXIMUM explosiveness, then they gas out hard(Conor Mcgregor *cough*) instead of explosive endurance, if someone was doing aztec pushups(just for example) for even just 50+ reps, instead of 5-10 in sets of 3 with a weight vest, they'd be more accustomed to the endurance aspect while still having explosive muscle fibers and their nervous system, used to that training.
There should be a balanced mix. Maximum strength work does have more carryover to grappling, but striking, not too much. It helps for sure, but not at the rate its assumed to be. Improving the energy systems is the main priority outside of technique work. Personally, I'm not a fan of high repetition calisthenics, especially since form will suffer under fatigue, and that's where injuries begin to happen.

Other sports have improved significantly in terms of S&C compared to martial arts, I would even say they are ahead by a long shot for the most part, but looking at how their sport is made, their requirements are a bit different, which ultimately affects how the programs are structured.

Would like some more opinions on this, again; Jax isn't what got me thinking of this but Mike Tyson and other old school training routines had very high reps, so was curious how effective this would be if you were doing say:
Aztec pushups for a lot of reps(still being explosive but training the muscles for endurance as well.)

Would like some more opinions on this, again; Jax isn't what got me thinking of this but Mike Tyson and other old school training routines had very high reps, so was curious how effective this would be if you were doing say:
Aztec pushups for a lot of reps(still being explosive but training the muscles for endurance as well.)
I'd say it depends on the exercise, the sport and the style of the fighter.

It's clear why someone like Tyson, and other boxers with a simular style, would benefit a lot from high rep BW squats or the like. BW squats/holds for many reps is underrated, especially if you do it from your fight stance. It's basically training the engine and endurance of all rolls, slips, bobs and weaves. You need to be able to comfortable bend your legs and stay low for the duration of several rounds.

As far as aztec pushups go, they are not really suited for high reps. Genereally you'd want to seperate explosive training from endurance training, but as much as that is true, it all exists on a continuum. When you're fighting you're switching between energy system constantly, and you need to be able to explode even if you're tired. So at short blocks in the training I'd recommend mixing the two together anyway, but usually that comes from the fight practice and sparring itself.

For most sports: why not just do a minimalist strength routine for strength, some plyos/sprints for explosiveness, some optional LISS on your off days, but fill the majority of your training with sport-specific drills and technique work?

For most sports: why not just do a minimalist strength routine for strength, some plyos/sprints for explosiveness, some optional LISS on your off days, but fill the majority of your training with sport-specific drills and technique work?
Well that would be way too sensible. That notion is preposterous.

You can tweak a few things as well as run blocks, but realistically this is how it should be done most of the time.

Skills training > S&C

I'd say it depends on the exercise, the sport and the style of the fighter.

It's clear why someone like Tyson, and other boxers with a simular style, would benefit a lot from high rep BW squats or the like. BW squats/holds for many reps is underrated, especially if you do it from your fight stance. It's basically training the engine and endurance of all rolls, slips, bobs and weaves. You need to be able to comfortable bend your legs and stay low for the duration of several rounds.

As far as aztec pushups go, they are not really suited for high reps. Genereally you'd want to seperate explosive training from endurance training, but as much as that is true, it all exists on a continuum. When you're fighting you're switching between energy system constantly, and you need to be able to explode even if you're tired. So at short blocks in the training I'd recommend mixing the two together anyway, but usually that comes from the fight practice and sparring itself.
They're usually not suited for long reps, because no-one really tries or trains in that way, but don't you think you could easily progress in doing 15+ of those, then eventually hitting a lot higher reps per set?
The reason I asked this to begin with is I'm trying to understand where explosive endurance ends up coming from(GSP is a HUGE example of what I mean)

Soo, I know JaxBlade isn't the BEST source of info or anything, but I know he's knowledgeable somewhat in the field for doing it so long, was wondering on your opinion of this:

Now, reason I ask; is because I remember looking at Mike Tysons workout(cus d'amato era especially) where he was doing some insane reps, same with some other boxer workouts of that era, I was wondering what the actual benefits are to doing this, and why most people don't train for that max muscle endurance, especially for a sport like MMA where, as Joe Rogan would say: "It's not a sprint, it's a marathon" Just wanting opinions.

Seems like a waste of time. If you're going to do muscular endurance/conditioning for a specific sport, then why wouldn't you just practice drills with said sport? For boxing, striking/countering/movement drills.

Also it's a complete lie that Mike Tyson wasn't lifting weights for strength. He was benching 200lbs at 13 years old with his coach. After he hit a certain level though, he tailored his boxing style for what mattered most, but he always had a strong base. If you don't have that strong base, then you should be lifting weights to develop it. Certain people need to develop certain skills to excel at any sport.

They're usually not suited for long reps, because no-one really tries or trains in that way, but don't you think you could easily progress in doing 15+ of those, then eventually hitting a lot higher reps per set?
The reason I asked this to begin with is I'm trying to understand where explosive endurance ends up coming from(GSP is a HUGE example of what I mean)
That would be training something like "repeated sprint ability" or more accurately, power endurance.

No one can go full stop and not gas and lose power. It's either at one end like Romero, Woodley and similar fighters, meaning you explode, then you recover, then you explode, then you recover. Or it's at the other end with someone like Diaz who can just go and go. GSP is somewhere on that continuum, but he's much closer to Woodley and Romero, he just knows when to not exert energy and he is excellent at not using a lot of effort from top position.

Having a high aerobic capacity, as in vo2 max, is always good for power endurance. Also, exploding in bursts with breaks inbetween trains the same energy system. It's just as much about managing your energy though.

What's your sport? What is it you want to train for?

That would be training something like "repeated sprint ability" or more accurately, power endurance.

No one can go full stop and not gas and lose power. It's either at one end like Romero, Woodley and similar fighters, meaning you explode, then you recover, then you explode, then you recover. Or it's at the other end with someone like Diaz who can just go and go. GSP is somewhere on that continuum, but he's much closer to Woodley and Romero, he just knows when to not exert energy and he is excellent at not using a lot of effort from top position.

Having a high aerobic capacity, as in vo2 max, is always good for power endurance. Also, exploding in bursts with breaks inbetween trains the same energy system. It's just as much about managing your energy though.

Fortnite

Trying to condition myself without a punching bag, sparring partner, or money to pay for MMA training currently, just so I'm in the best possible shape I can be when I finally start again after my wrist surgery.

Back