Fairtex BGV9 Review with pics

Ill post a bit about my bgv9 experience.

I started with these gloves after spraining my wrist wearing another glove. At the time, I was training pretty hard and didnt want to take the time off. Where I live I am fairly limited to what I can get in a timely fashion (I can get anything I want but it takes time), At the time, I was wearing the gloves with terrible wrist support and I tried to use my go-to bgv1s. I really like the bgv1 as a basic glove but I wanted a bit more wrist protection and with limited options, I came across the bgv9.

I got mine in full red and in 160z. At first they felt really different than what I was used to but after 30-40 rounds on bags and pads they were feeling great, My wrist also managed to heal even though I didnt back off on the training (if anything, I ramped the training up). I used this glove almost strictly for bag/pad, I rarely if ever sparred with them but it did happen a few times. These quickly became my go to gloves for my 3-4 sessions a week of MT, during the time I used these I had zero issues with injures, no wrist or finger pain, nothing, it was great.

When I went on my last trip to Thailand, I took just one pair of gloves and it was the bgv9, they performed great even though they werent new. The only issues I have with them is the surface of the leather is cracking which isnt happening to that extent on any of my other gloves.

Anyways, I really like these and while they are nothing fancy, they still are my go-to bag/pad glove. If Im taking training and sparring gloves, the bgv9 goes along, If im heading to they gym to lift and plan to hit the bag for a few rounds afterwords, the bgv9 goes. If Im getting ready for a smoker or doing private sessions and will be hitting pads for an hour....the bgv9 does the job.

I have a lot fewer gloves right now, Ive been getting rid of everything I dont use, all I have is:
-winning ms600
-hayabusa gsp
-bgv1
-bgv9
-c17 2.0
-twins bgl1

The bgv9s do most of the work.

Yeah I never liked Fairtex gloves but I did say the BGV9 is definitely their best, I personally liked them. They are the ONLY Fairtex model I actually recommend to people that are from Fairtex.

Blair Dennett: I'd be interested in reading that for sure, please post.

Taskmaster99: Absolutely. Post away

OK, I got a pair of Punchtown tenebrae a few months back. I'll do a write up on those and compare to the BGV9. When I review stuff I like to have something people can compare with.

My original review of BGV9s were vs my Cletos 16 oz. It will be fun to revisit these over a year out and see if I still feel the same.

Here is the old review:

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f67/cleto-reyes-16oz-fairtex-bgv9-16oz-1892525/

The BGV-6 has a reputation for being one of the worst gloves Fairtex has ever released, although Stev3 might be able to chime in with his own experiences after he logs in some rounds with them. :)

Bought this strictly for heavy bag/pad work (got a pair of boons to spar with, they are excellent by the way)

- Good quality leather and craftmanship
- More than enough padding
- Good wrist support

Only con is the hand compartment. Has more room than I expected, doesn't bother me much though

Waiting for my orange BGV1 in Orange and my Top Kings :icon_twis

Bought this strictly for heavy bag/pad work (got a pair of boons to spar with, they are excellent by the way)

- Good wrist support

Only con is the hand compartment. Has more room than I expected, doesn't bother me much though

Thanks for the follow-up, always good to hear another perspective.

- Good wrist support

The hand compartment has been improved on the new version of the BGV9, the 'minor change' ones. See on http://www.muaythai-fighting.com/fiartex-heavy-hitter-s-gloves-mexican-style-bgv9.html.

I ordered 18 oz Yellow/Blue ones on muaythai-fighting.com in April. I asked them to add that color combination on the list, and it's beautiful like this I think. I received a first pair in June.

They first sent me underweight 16,22 oz old version BGV9.

I asked for a replacement because of that, and they sent me a pair of new version ones that are at the perfect 18 oz weight. I have it since July.

The room was larger on the old version, but the fit was already great I thought.
I have large hands and long fingers, so the little piece of leather inside the glove was like a second grip bar to me, that allowed me to close the hand ideally.

The 'minor change' fits my hand even better. Closing the hand is just a little less easy and I still have to break it, even if the comfort is great. The padding is about twice thicker over the knucles (about 2 inches).

The balance is still good, but the weight is just a little more on the front, because of the extra padding. The old version seemed to be better balanced.

The new version are not as stiff as the old ones, but you still get a good 'pop' hitting the bag.

My gloves are the exact ones that are showed on Muaythai-fighting's website.

Last edited:
Just got a pair. Lots of good reviews. If the sensei says I can spar with them I will. I'll follow up with my opinions.

Day two pad work. Hard on the fingers but I can feel where they will break in. Good stiff wrist, straight. The pad along both sides is bigger than it seems, it's had to notice them but when you feel the pad you see. Sensei approved for sparring, (your gym may vary) said it might po the partner because they're hard. I don't spar often or go hard so I'm using these gloves for everything. I'm that type, one good pair. As it stands I'm glad to have them and expect good performance for several years. $116 delivered from fairtex.com

Ill post a bit about my bgv9 experience.

I started with these gloves after spraining my wrist wearing another glove. At the time, I was training pretty hard and didnt want to take the time off. Where I live I am fairly limited to what I can get in a timely fashion (I can get anything I want but it takes time), At the time, I was wearing the gloves with terrible wrist support and I tried to use my go-to bgv1s. I really like the bgv1 as a basic glove but I wanted a bit more wrist protection and with limited options, I came across the bgv9.

I got mine in full red and in 160z. At first they felt really different than what I was used to but after 30-40 rounds on bags and pads they were feeling great, My wrist also managed to heal even though I didnt back off on the training (if anything, I ramped the training up). I used this glove almost strictly for bag/pad, I rarely if ever sparred with them but it did happen a few times. These quickly became my go to gloves for my 3-4 sessions a week of MT, during the time I used these I had zero issues with injures, no wrist or finger pain, nothing, it was great.

When I went on my last trip to Thailand, I took just one pair of gloves and it was the bgv9, they performed great even though they werent new. The only issues I have with them is the surface of the leather is cracking which isnt happening to that extent on any of my other gloves.

Anyways, I really like these and while they are nothing fancy, they still are my go-to bag/pad glove. If Im taking training and sparring gloves, the bgv9 goes along, If im heading to they gym to lift and plan to hit the bag for a few rounds afterwords, the bgv9 goes. If Im getting ready for a smoker or doing private sessions and will be hitting pads for an hour....the bgv9 does the job.

I have a lot fewer gloves right now, Ive been getting rid of everything I dont use, all I have is:
-winning ms600
-hayabusa gsp
-bgv1
-bgv9
-c17 2.0
-twins bgl1

The bgv9s do most of the work.

Hey man I bought the BGV 4 at the lether is starting to crack on my gloves (only the left glove) as well. How are your gloves holding up?

Last edited:
Does the weight of these gloves heavily impact the size of the hand compartment? I was thinking of getting 14oz for bag work but since i have fairly long fingers and these gloves are reportedly snug, i want to make sure i get a pair that fits.

Another Faitex BGV9 review! (14oz, Minor Change version)

12575842_10153851050543550_2019821625_n.jpg

I just thought I'd write my own review

I got these on Monday, and I have nothing but praise for the look and craftsmanship of these gloves. I feel like it is leagues above the BGV1 in terms of both looks and the quality of the leather.

The fit is great for me on the 14oz, and the weight distribution feels pretty even, maybe a little skewed towards the front. Other have claimed that it is front heavy, but i barely noticed it on these 14oz gloves. I can make a good fist in these, although the internal grip bar took a while to get used to. The wrist support on these gloves is by far the best I've ever had on velcro gloves. Granted these are still new, but even then, they secure my wrist better that all my other gloves ever have, including my Ringside Gel Shock Safety Sparring (the gray ones that use the IMF sparring shell) which i felt had great support too.

The padding on these, however, surprised me. While it is dense, I found it to be quite soft, but thankfully the feel on the bag is still great. I found the padding to be quite unforgiving to less than ideal technique for me. I'm 6 feet tall and weigh 170 lbs and i felt some pain slight pain in my hands when not landing with the main striking area, for example when i was practicing russian long hooks (thumb down hooks). To be fair the bag i use is quite hard; it feels like hitting concrete in some spots. On pads, these gloves are very satisfying and offer decent pop.

Perhaps I should have gotten 16oz or 18oz gloves, but I'm overall quite happy with them. I'll experiment with knuckle guards, wraps and make sure to clean up my technique. Hopefully I'll find a better bag to use as well

Love these gloves. On my 3rd pair of them now. Wrist support as good as any gloves I’ve had before. Padding is stiff so great for heavy bag and pad work. Wouldn’t recommend sparring in these though. I use them as all purpose gloves with a separate pair of gloves for sparring

Can anybody compare the feel vs Rival RB11's? I love the feel on my RS11, it's like everything is aligned and the wrist support is superb.

Can anybody compare the feel vs Rival RB11's? I love the feel on my RS11, it's like everything is aligned and the wrist support is superb.
Pocket and thumb I prefer on the BGV9 but the RS11 (sparing) have the better wrist overall I would not say one better than the other

Back