Opinion Famous Robert E Lee monument in Charlottesville finally taken down

I have never understood why such statues exist, but I also don’t understand the fervor to tear them all down in a mob. This is the way to do it-not lynching a statue by a bunch of morons where shit falls on people.

Not sure how it lasted this long. Should have been torn down last year. We still have many to go, however. Pretty much anyone from before 100 years ago needs to be taken down

Sherfront will not like this.

72101.jpg

This is what I think Sherfront should do about this particular subject.

They can......

SUCK IT!

They didnt start the war to be technical. It was a war of secession not civil war. Civil war implies they would of fought for control of all the US but they didnt want. From a pacifist view point them wanting to just separate isnt an issue. Because they lost the language was changed to frame them as causes of a civil war but it isnt technically true
<WhatIsThis>

Ain't been in the WR much lately... think I'll pop in for a sec

*sees people arguing the Civil War wasn't a civil war*

...aight, imma head out

Our nut jobs are the level of consistency that I wish our government was.

Ain't been in the WR much lately... think I'll pop in for a sec

*sees people arguing the Civil War wasn't a civil war*

...aight, imma head out

It is true. Based on what the South wanted it is a war of secession

But changing the language around it marks it as worse and that the south was an aggressor.

I am not a fan of the south or Confederate cause.

I am just saying what is textually true. The US typically supports secessions and annexation of allies globally and now fronts the "pacifist" way to let the people have autonomy. By current standards the idea of a peaceful seccession isnt a bad thing. Yes slavery itself was an issue but their desire for separation itself from the greater US was not an evil cause

The issue is people automatically assume you or I am a southern slave supporter when it is not true. It just so happens Confederate fans are right on the issue of hypocrisy regarding how they could not seceede and how violence was used to rule over them and yet from a pacifist view or historically US foreign policy has favored those who seceede....

I am not a fan of the south or Confederate cause.

I am just saying what is textually true. The US typically supports secessions and annexation of allies globally and now fronts the "pacifist" way to let the people have autonomy. By current standards the idea of a peaceful seccession isnt a bad thing. Yes slavery itself was an issue but their desire for separation itself from the greater US was not an evil cause

The issue is people automatically assume you or I am a southern slave supporter when it is not true. It just so happens Confederate fans are right on the issue of hypocrisy regarding how they could not seceede and how violence was used to rule over them and yet from a pacifist view or historically US foreign policy has favored those who seceede....

<Manning1>

At least the statue was taken down legally and safely. If the left wants to begin taking down statues they find offensive for whatever reason, they need to understand that goes both ways.

Yeah, I don't think Cadet Bone Spurs is particularly knowledgeable about the Civil War. He has a plaque commemorating a Civil War battle at one of his golf clubs. The battle never actually took place:

2000.jpeg

When informed that historians claimed this never took place, Trump responded, "How would they know that? Were they there?" Which of course makes one wonder how exactly Trump would know, since he also wasn't there. He was unable to name the historians he claimed had told him the site was known as the River of Blood, when asked. His only proof was his claim that the area was "a prime site for river crossings. So if people are crossing the river, and you happen to be in a civil war, I would say that people were shot – a lot of them."

Yeah hes funny alright. He thinks he can knock Biden out in a few seconds.

This privileged idiot will wet his pants and hide in his bunker if Biden comes to his face. Biden would finish him

losers aways want rematches.

typical narcissistic bully behavior. they only say they want to fight when they know the fight won't happen, but saying so will get them some spotlight back.

this should be Trump's moment. he went from being the world's most powerful man to playing commentary to a boxing match and pretty much begging the guy he lost to for attention so that he can feel important again. his cult is going to Desatan or Abbo with how insane and unapologetic they're acting, his debtors are calling in and thanks to his banishment from social media he can barely grow his base.

what's especially sad is the media would love to have him back for the ratings but he just doesn't pull like 2016 Trump did. he needs to come up with something soon because if this continues he'll be nothing more than America's drunken blurry mistake by 2024.

Yeah, I don't think Cadet Bone Spurs is particularly knowledgeable about the Civil War. He has a plaque commemorating a Civil War battle at one of his golf clubs. The battle never actually took place:

2000.jpeg

When informed that historians claimed this never took place, Trump responded, "How would they know that? Were they there?" Which of course makes one wonder how exactly Trump would know, since he also wasn't there. He was unable to name the historians he claimed had told him the site was known as the River of Blood, when asked. His only proof was his claim that the area was "a prime site for river crossings. So if people are crossing the river, and you happen to be in a civil war, I would say that people were shot – a lot of them."

donald trump knows more about history than any other man. many men, intelligent men, geniuses, from all over the world would testify about how much of a history buff donald trump is. the greatest historian ever. greatest in the world.

here get a load of this one...

Lee was a good loser which is more than can be said for most.

He may not have been the best of men, but to be honest, he was probably a better guy than some of the people on the dollar bills, even if he did fight for a bad cause.
Nah, he was a real piece of shit. The "Kindly General Lee" is a myth (although I do admit that Johnny Cash song is really catchy. Hokey, but catchy).

He purposely broke up slave families, personally beat his slaves, was forced by a Virginia court to free slaves he was legally obliged to free but tried to renege on the deal, enslaved free black people of the north and brought them to the south, massacred black union soldiers who had surrendered, etc.

He also spent time as President of Washington College. Where students would abduct and rape black schoolgirls from newly created black schools in the area. Crimes he appeared indifferent to.

After the war he said, "that unless some humane course is adopted, based on wisdom and Christian principles, you do a gross wrong and injustice to the whole negro race in setting them free. And it is only this consideration that has led the wisdom, intelligence and Christianity of the South to support and defend the institution up to this time.” It was only the monumental Christian love the south had for blacks that made them act that way! They were looking out for black peoples' best interests!

Nah, he was a real piece of shit. The "Kindly General Lee" is a myth (although I do admit that Johnny Cash song is really catchy. Hokey, but catchy).

He purposely broke up slave families, personally beat his slaves, was forced by a Virginia court to free slaves he was legally obliged to free but tried to renege on the deal, enslaved free black people of the north and brought them to the south, massacred black union soldiers who had surrendered, etc.

He also spent time as President of Washington College. Where students would abduct and rape black schoolgirls from newly created black schools in the area. Crimes he appeared indifferent to.

After the war he said, "that unless some humane course is adopted, based on wisdom and Christian principles, you do a gross wrong and injustice to the whole negro race in setting them free. And it is only this consideration that has led the wisdom, intelligence and Christianity of the South to support and defend the institution up to this time.” It was only the monumental Christian love the south had for blacks that made them act that way! They were looking out for black peoples' best interests!

Never said he was a good guy, just probably a better man than some of the men on the dollar bills. Unlike some of them, allegedly, atleast he wasn't the guy doing the raping and the killing, personally.

His legacy comes down mostly to the fact that he was a good loser. The U.S. needed a Confederate figure who was willing to lay down his arms and never raise the issue again, and Lee fit the billing. He never contested the loss and never tried to bring up the "Confederate cause" again. That's basically why his image was rehabilitated compared to the rest.

By modern standards, pretty much anybody who was in charge up until around World War 2 was a real piece of shit. It's hard to find too many redeeming qualities in most military men of that era outside of, well, atleast they didn't kill everybody they could.

Back