Law Father Faces Human Rights Complaint for Refusing Babysitting Services from a Man

Do we know whether he's an MRA type or just a run of the mill weirdo? I'm guessing a mixture of the two.

Yeah, I didn't dig in to see it. Seems like he's just trying to get his name in the paper or some shit. If someone doesn't hire you to be a babysitter, your rights aren't being violated. Someone else is just being hired for the gig.

Do we know whether he's an MRA type or just a run of the mill weirdo? I'm guessing a mixture of the two.

Mra? That's a new term to me

Mra? That's a new term to me

Men's Rights Activists.

They are literally the most annoying people in the world. They have some good points (homelessness is shockingly skewed by sex, prison rape is rampant and deplorable, mental health is heavily stigmatized according to gender roles). But those few issues are drowned out by a sea of whining, shitty anecdotes, and moaning about how men are oppressed, women have it so much better, feminism is evil, etc.

So the dude did this before, and the case went all the way to Supreme Court where they dismissed it by saying parents have the right to be comfortable with whomever they welcome into their home.

How does he expect it to on round two?

Maybe he thinks Canada is softer this time round. Losing its edge. Losing its will.

Maybe he thinks Canada is softer this time round. Losing its edge. Losing its will.

I hope the original Supreme Court decision holds precedence and this gets dismissed immediately.

Parents should 100% have the right to be selective about who is around their children.

Yeah, I didn't dig in to see it. Seems like he's just trying to get his name in the paper or some shit. If someone doesn't hire you to be a babysitter, your rights aren't being violated. Someone else is just being hired for the gig.

well he most certainly lost the job because hes a near 30yr old male -- even if he was the only candidate, he most likely still wouldnt be hired. So without factoring nuance, he was discriminated against.

But, people have the right to not hire someone based on biases in a lot of circumstances.

well he most certainly lost the job because hes a near 30yr old male -- even if he was the only candidate, he most likely still wouldnt be hired. So without factoring nuance, he was discriminated against.

But, people have the right to not hire someone based on biases in a lot of circumstances.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to say "no, I'd rather not have a 30 year old man near my young children when I can't supervise". People discriminate in hiring for a lot of reasons. Some are unacceptable, but this one seems perfectly fine to me.

Is it Jessica Yaniv's brother?

Does he have to hire a lawyer for this shit

If a dude files a human rights violation because he can't watch your kids... That dude is either the best babysitter in the world or that dude wants to fuck your kids.

I heard about this on Facebook because I’m also from Edmonton where this is all occurring. People commenting about it on Facebook make it sound like he could be an MRA type because he’ll often share news stories about female teachers going to jail for fucking their students (in other words the dude’s a Sherdogger).

I think the bigger story here is that the Supreme Court of Canada ruled in favor of the mother in 2014.

I hope the original Supreme Court decision holds precedence and this gets dismissed immediately.

Parents should 100% have the right to be selective about who is around their children.

The Supreme Court actually refused to hear the appeal. He lost his motion for leave to appeal the decision of the Alberta Court of Appeal’s decision not to hear his appeal from the lower court. So because the Supreme Court and the appellate level Court never heard the case it’s not actually of that much precedential value.

So basically the procedural history was this:

1. He lost at first instance at the Human Rights Commission
2. He lost on the internal appeal at the Commission
3. He lost on judicial review of the Commission’s decision by the province’s superior court
4. The province’s Court of Appeal refused to hear an appeal of the judicial review
5. The Supreme Court refuses to hear an appeal of the Court of Appeal’s refusal.

What the Commission said was basically this:
1. That the Human Rights Act did apply to this situation; and
2. That he was discriminated against; BUT
3. The discrimination was permitted because the Commission held that gender of the babysitter was a bona fide occupational requirement (“BFOR” - the only way an employer can justify discrimination under Canadian law) if the parent deems it so. So basically parents are given wider discretion to choose what is and isn’t a BFOR than a regular employer when it comes to the care of their children.

I think it's perfectly acceptable to say "no, I'd rather not have a 30 year old man near my young children when I can't supervise". People discriminate in hiring for a lot of reasons. Some are unacceptable, but this one seems perfectly fine to me.

are you suggesting all 30 year old men are child molesters?

Is this an attack on STRAIGHT WHITE MEN.. who are 28 years old????

Last edited:
Frivolous lawsuits should 100% be paid for by the one that brings it to court.

Besides the fact that he's a 28 year old wannabe babysitter, (and finding a job can ONLY get harder as he begins to bald, age, and put on weight down the line) his name will now come up in a Google search. If your name is popping up on court cases, for whatever reason, you dont get to even look at my kid.

The only people who are interested in more government intervention in our lives have zero initiative or pride.

It’s not society’s responsibility to coddle people who have made bad decisions in life.

I am going to have to object here.

As a well above average contributing member of society I see the benefits of several aspects of government intervention. More or less is pretty situational.

Also no idea what this has do to with weirdo baby sitter guy.

Back