Favorite albums that are out of print.

Karl_Hungus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A few of my favorite albums are out of print, having not been considered successful by the record companies which paid for their creation. I know a few that I like, which I will post, and maybe you all know some good ones as well. Maybe it will be interesting? Here is one of the best ones. Fans of Fleetwood Mac will recognize the sound that was ported into their old sound to make them finally, widely successful. Lyndsey and Stevie didn't find enough success with their album, likely due to lack of promotion from the studio. Mick invited them to join the band, and the rest is history. The album has never been re-released because of objections from Stevie. You will recognize some of the songs that were reworked into FM songs. One thing she is unhappy about is that she feels that Lyndsey coerced her into taking the album cover photo, in which she was topless. Also, Lyndsey is the one who bargained to get Stevie in the band in the first place, as he was originally the only one invited. Ironic considering that she had him thrown out of the band. From an article:

"Fleetwood Mac was in free fall by the time Mick Fleetwood asked Lindsey Buckingham to join on New Year's Eve 1974.

The recent departure of Bob Welch meant that Buckingham would become the group's seventh guitarist in just seven years. That gave Buckingham some leverage, which he used to arrange for a package deal with his girlfriend Stevie Nicks. Sparked by a recording of Buckingham Nicks' "Frozen Love," Fleetwood happily obliged – and the addition of both meant the classic-era lineup of Fleetwood Mac was finally in place...."

"...Polydor signed the the now-Los Angeles-based pair, but the resulting self-titled album went nowhere – leaving a desperate Nicks to waitress for rent. She has said she was mere weeks away from returning to Phoenix when Fleetwood called.

'If we hadn’t joined Fleetwood Mac, would Lindsey and I have carried on and made it?' she told Uncut. 'I was really tired of having no money and being a waitress. It’s very possible that I would have gone back to school and Lindsey would have gone back to San Francisco.'”

If you have some favorite albums that are out of print or even never released, post them. There are quite a few, but I'm sure most aren't that great. Any other good ones out there?

Here is another of my favorite, out of print, albums. The second album by Tom Johnston, of the Doobie Brothers. He took time off from the band for health reasons, and the band had to get a replacement singer to fill his shoes until he came back. Well, that new singer happened to be Michael McDonald (he was a studio musician for Steely Dan). The band had new popularity with a new sound (with Michael), which alienated many of the old fans, who liked the biker based blues the band had been known for before. Although both of Tom's solo albums were good, they didn't sell enough to keep in print. Some Doobie Brothers band members played backup on this album. You can hear his influence on early Doobie Brothers albums here, as he was the core songwriter and lead singer. I love Tom's work, and I think he is one of the best rock singers, writers, and guitarists out there.

Tom Johnston (of Doobie Brothers fame) made two albums, both of which are out of print. This was the first one, which is very 70s, but also pretty good. It features fellow Doobie Brothers members, as well as Tower of Power in the horn section. I love smoking a doobie and listening to this album.

576FDED0-2429-4AFF-941F-0445EC63DADC.jpeg
This album blew my mind when it came out; they went from hair metal to, in my opinion, the best industrial metal album ever made. And then vanished like a fart in the wind. Lost my copy years ago, but fortunately a buddy ripped me a copy of his.

View attachment 879467
This album blew my mind when it came out; they went from hair metal to, in my opinion, the best industrial metal album ever made. And then vanished like a fart in the wind. Lost my copy years ago, but fortunately a buddy ripped me a copy of his.
Could be interesting. Is there a copy on the internet anywhere? I just realized this thread might be hard to do, since many of these things might not be accessible via the internet.

A few albums come to mind.

Ellen Foley - Spirit of St. Louis. She made this album when she was dating Mick Jones of The Clash and most all the songs are written by Strummer/Jones. It's kind of a 'missing link' album between Sandinista and Combat Rock. As a huge Clash fan I love it.

Nils Lofgren - Code of the Road. A live album before he joined the E Street Band. One of my favorite live albums ever and I can't find it anywhere.

Surf Music Boxed Set. I think it was a Rhino Compilation. Pretty sure it's shaped like a surf board. Been looking for this to give to a good friend for his birthday. If anyone knows where to find it (for less that a few hundred bucks lol) please hit me up.

Infest - No Man's Slave... One of those records that needs a repress!

I probably have a number of albums that are out of print, but I'm just unaware.

The one that first springs to mind is Nuno - Schizophonic. I tried to get hold of a copy for years. I just happened upon a copy in a shop in Osaka. It may very well have been the last copy for sale in the world.

Nuno_-_Schizophonic.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back