Favourite Body Protector?

MAS4T0

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I'm looking to pick up a new body protector. I was hoping to order a custom from Sergio Garibay, but I've been unable to get in contact with him. At this point, it's looking like either Rival, Winning BC-3500 or a customised body protector from TopBoxer.

Any thoughts and experiences would be much appreciated.

Ideally, I'd like to keep the same body protector on when switching from mitts to Thai pads rather than switching out for a belly pad.

Has anyone tried using a full-body protector instead of a belly pad when working with Thai pads?

Thanks.

Last edited:
With Thai products you are almost always mostly paying the true cost of the item; it's materials, manufacturing and a modest profit for the sellers.
There is rarely any added on cost because of the brand. Every brand of Thai equipment is nearly identical in quality and price.

The western boxing equipment however, is rife with inflated prices where for anything brand name. The majority of the retail price will be brand related and not the true cost of the item.
Bear that in mind.
All rival stuff is overpriced to some degree, not as much as winning stuff however. Winning is the worldwide champ of inflated prices.
If you are in the USA, title equipment purchased through title website seems very good value.
Another source of no frills, good quality and transparently priced boxing gear is Pakistan.
Many good quality western brands like Tuf-Wear and ergo are rebadged Pakistani stuff. Affordable but good quality leather products in general all come from Pakistan, like soccer balls and weightlifting belts.

As for comparison of the shapes of full chest protectors and belly pads. The chest part of a boxing protector is largely redundant and no one punches you in chest and if they do it doesnt hurt.
What I would watch out for is materials. Chest protectors are rarely genuine leather but belly pads almost always are.
Leather lasts much much longer for any type of pad or gloves.

Sythentic seems to last fine for heavy bags though.

Thanks.

I'm in England, and here I can pick up the Rival Protector for less than the Winnings version, but I've no idea how they compare to one another.

I like the idea of a full body protector as it gives the fighter more options. Hitting to the chest can be useful at times and I'd rather not limit where a fighter can hit. I've been using an Everlast protector for a while when holding mitts, and the extra coverage does seem to help guys work to the body more effectively with their hands, but it doesn't feel like it would hold up well to kicks.

As I mentioned, I'd like to keep the same chest protector on rather then switching out.

The protector from TopBoxer looks good and is half the price of the Rival and Winnings options, but I'm not sure how it would compare or the quality or suitability of the padding he's using.

I think Sandee is the only Thai brand to offer a full chest protector, but I've not heard any info on it, good it bad.

Last edited:
After a bit of digging, it seems like the Sandee body pad is based on a belly pad, but extended upwards.

I was concerned that the boxing specific body protectors would make it difficult to throw kicks as they may cover the upper thighs. This eliminates that.

I also found a clip of Ricky Hatton coaching while wearing it. So it seems like it'll work well for boxing and Muay Thai.

A CHOKDEE SANDEE BELLY PROTECTORS 1.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah that looks perfect for what you are looking for.
Thai belly pads are always super thick , which is good and necessary because the primary thing they are used for is teeps and knees. I haven't seen enough of the boxing brand full chest protectors to be confident that the padding is thick as required in the belly area.
But it most definitely is with the Sandee one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back