'Fight 2 Finish' (F2F) 18 oz Sparring Gloves

makedansure

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Background:
I met the guy that started Fight 2 Finish a few years ago. I told him my background, and he basically asked what I wanted out of a sparring glove and so I told him a few things that I'd like to see: triple cuff, ability to open hand, etc., based off what I liked about Grant, Winning, and the other top brands. After a few iterations, he presented this current pair of FIIF gloves.

Glove Specifications:
From the manufacturer’s description:
  • Proprietary formula polymer foams 7-layer padding
  • Soft and 2.6 in. thick padding ensuring safe connection in a wide range of impact power, easy tight grip helping to form a solid fist

Stitching/Craftsmanship/Materials:
I don't remember if I weighed the gloves, but I feel like weight is more important to get right with fight gloves. No reason to suspect that one weighs more than the other, and I would have to say that these gloves are excellent in all three categories. The matte leather on the cuff and the thumbs was a pretty cool choice and feel great to the touch. If I had any complaints, it would be the liner – I just feel like I’ve felt better liner out there, and I prefer it to be tighter and flush with the inside padding.

Design:
The biggest thing I wanted out of these sparring gloves was the ability to open my hand to catch punches in addition to having adequate enough padding to protect both my hands and my sparring partner. I didn't count all the layers, but I have to say that these gloves have definitely (thus far) achieved a balance between protection and flexibility. My sparring partner prefers getting hit with these gloves over the Golombs which makes sense, as the Golombs utilize the less-forgiving horsehair/foam combo and these are just straight foam. The overall design is very sleek, though they do feel every bit the size of a larger glove. I haven't had the chance to use the 16 oz version of these gloves, but I feel like the only thing I would ask for in terms of design would be a slimmer profile.

Padding:
The padding is great in that not once did I ever feel like I was breaking through, but the padding was flexible enough for me to open my hands in order to block and catch punches. I’ve done a dozen or so rounds on the heavybag just to “break them in”, and I feel like if you like using bigger gloves on the bag, these are a pretty good option. The padding is a little different than in the gloves that @hangulmalmotayo used (thicker and more dense -I know because I felt the exact gloves he used), but I feel like the destroyer would tear through these in a similar fashion eventually.

Had absolutely no issues with the thumb padding – I’ve jammed my thumbs in the 18 oz RB1s on two occasions.

Hand Compartment:
These gloves have a very roomy hand compartment, perfect in terms of length (the thumb compartment is also roomy) but a little wide. They do have a wonderful shape, I guess I just wish that the gloves were a little tighter width-wise.

Performance for sparring:
Like I mentioned above – my sparring partner likes them, and I can open my hands. Pretty much the two biggest things I wanted out of these gloves. They make an excellent, and very safe sparring glove.

Durability:
No real signs of wear or tear, in the leather or the padding over the 6 months or so that I’ve had them. Don’t be fooled – I’ve only averaged maybe 6-8 rounds of sparring a week over that period of time, a generous estimate. So time will tell, but generally speaking, sparring gloves should last a while unless you don’t dry them off, use them on the bag, and just go to war all the time in them.

Overall:
In my opinion, the best out of the box sparring gloves I’ve used of what is currently being offered, especially considering the price. I would reach out to F2F as when I first received these gloves, I thought they were a custom order. Not sure if they are just a normal stock offering now, but I know they definitely have different tiers of gloves. Full disclosure – I have not tested the newest Rival offerings, but I’ve felt the RS100’s and these gloves aren’t anything like them.

TL/DR:
-Pros: I can open my hands to catch punches with ease. Quality, materials, design – my sparring glove of choice next to the Golombs.

-Less-Pros: A little wide, but consistent with some 18 oz gloves I’ve used in the past. The liner material felt thin/loose, but no tears.

Great review.

Can you take a photo with your hand open in them? Just want to see the flexibility at work...

Fab review. The matte black has a nice look to it.

In hangulmalmotayo's review of F2F gloves back in October, he mentioned that the owner of the brand claimed the gloves were made in the USA, and that there was a tag inside the glove that stated as such. They mention the gloves on instagram as being made in the USA too, even so far back as in 2013, but yet don't seem to mention it on their website where these gloves are only 130USD currently. I'm having a very hard time believing they're made in the USA but seeing as you've been around the owner and the equipment etc, what's your take? @makedansure

They have the tags "made in USA". In terms of quality and design, I have no reason to doubt they are indeed made here in the States.

The gloves that I got back in August/September 2018 are completely different than anything they offered before. I've felt what they were offering before and that stuff felt like it was made overseas.

I do think that though these gloves are shown as what is offered at $130, it would be safer to assume that these are a custom pair (as they were at the time for me) and that maybe the color and combination is available at $130. I would say that the gloves that @hangulmalmotayo tested out were probably a part of their $130 range, but maybe I'm totally wrong. If you're interested, you should definitely reach out to F2F directly and ask.

I'll take pictures of me with an open hand and upload soon.

They have the tags "made in USA". In terms of quality and design, I have no reason to doubt they are indeed made here in the States.

The gloves that I got back in August/September 2018 are completely different than anything they offered before. I've felt what they were offering before and that stuff felt like it was made overseas.

I do think that though these gloves are shown as what is offered at $130, it would be safer to assume that these are a custom pair (as they were at the time for me) and that maybe the color and combination is available at $130. I would say that the gloves that @hangulmalmotayo tested out were probably a part of their $130 range, but maybe I'm totally wrong. If you're interested, you should definitely reach out to F2F directly and ask.

I'll take pictures of me with an open hand and upload soon.
Thanks. Are you thinking then that the 130USD gloves are not made in USA? I'll message the dude if his page is on Facebook and see, just out of curiosity. They had this in 2013 for gloves which I figure looks quite like a lot like a regular Ringside glove but maybe it's just the angle:

Great review! I also need to know if the $130 ones are made in the USA.

Im nowhere near Irish but i’ve been saving these on a tab for a while...

A1A0CA15-6A09-4D27-B23C-66FCF600EB20.jpeg

B9300471-D26C-4E7B-90ED-38F8360C1B54.jpeg

No the $130 on the site, all those gloves in the pictures as well as the velcro gloves made for @hangulmalmotayo are all from the same manufacturer I believe. Those 2013 gloves are definitely just the same ringside/title overseas made stuff with the f2f logo. The Made in USA didn't happen til last year to my knowledge.

Those Irish gloves - felt those. The padding is different - little less dense, and not as soft. The piping is also different on that pair.

I sent an email via their website, asking which gloves specifically are made in the USA, but I didn't get a response.

Checked their site and none of those gloves look nearly nice enough to warrant a $200 price tag. Hell, given the other options on the market I likely wouldn’t pay over $100 for those.

Back