Fighters' True Weight vs Conditioning

Communion

Out in left field on Juicy J's Tbol team
@Brown
Reaction score
Each weight class consists of fighters that naturally weigh nowhere near what the weight class limit is. Per example: DJ fights at 125 but has been proven to weigh 140-150, Lineker claims 160. Natural weights of fighters look more like this:

Flyweight: 135-145

Bantamweight: 145-160

Featherweight: 160-175

Lightweight: 170-190

Welterweight: 190-210

Middleweight: 200-220

Light Heavyweight: 220-235

Heavyweight: 235-300

Super Heavyweight: 290+

There's some overlap but not much. When a fighter cuts from say 208 lbs to make 185 lbs in a few weeks, does this truly impact physical performance (including chin) as much as some people think? The top 5s and champions of each weight class are filled with bigger fighters. I'd say the lone exception is Whittaker at MW. DC was smaller but was pushing 250 by the time the Stipe fight happened, and HW doesn't usually require cutting anyway.

The point I'm raising is: is the diminishing returns of weight cutting over blown? Is the real difference just people cutting weight properly vs improperly?

Some people are able to cut larger amounts of weight with less impact on their performance.

Powerlifting fkr example...Kevin Oak regularly cuts from 265 to compete in the 242 class and has the ATWR squat. I believe hes also cut from 260 to 220 in a couple of weeks amd set a record there.

Other guys like myself start having performance drops after cutting 10-15lbs.

How it impacts the chin..i cant imagine its great for you but as long as youre hydrating and getting your electrolytes back in I'd think it depends on your genetic abilities to recover from a harsh cut.

Some people are able to cut larger amounts of weight with less impact on their performance.

Powerlifting fkr example...Kevin Oak regularly cuts from 265 to compete in the 242 class and has the ATWR squat. I believe hes also cut from 260 to 220 in a couple of weeks amd set a record there.

Other guys like myself start having performance drops after cutting 10-15lbs.

How it impacts the chin..i cant imagine its great for you but as long as youre hydrating and getting your electrolytes back in I'd think it depends on your genetic abilities to recover from a harsh cut.
Oak not only has the WR squat but he took the ATWr total from Larry wheels for the 242 class

IMO when comparing weights, the weight the fighter is at during weigh-ins should only be compared to what they weigh inside the ring/cage. Walk around weight shouldn't mean much because many figthers will take different approaches to this. Some will just cut water weight while others will use a longer period of time to cut bodyfat and then do a water cut as the days gets closer to weigh-ins.

I think it can definitely affect performance on many levels and will depend on each individual and not just the cutting, but the rehydration/renourishment/recovery process that likely gets more challenging as the % cut increases. In terms of weakening one's chin, I have no idea if that is true or not. My guess is there is no real evidence of this and is just anecdotal or observational at best.

Each weight class consists of fighters that naturally weigh nowhere near what the weight class limit is. Per example: DJ fights at 125 but has been proven to weigh 140-150, Lineker claims 160. Natural weights of fighters look more like this:

Flyweight: 135-145

Bantamweight: 145-160

Featherweight: 160-175

Lightweight: 170-190

Welterweight: 190-210

Middleweight: 200-220

Light Heavyweight: 220-235

Heavyweight: 235-300

Super Heavyweight: 290+

There's some overlap but not much. When a fighter cuts from say 208 lbs to make 185 lbs in a few weeks, does this truly impact physical performance (including chin) as much as some people think? The top 5s and champions of each weight class are filled with bigger fighters. I'd say the lone exception is Whittaker at MW. DC was smaller but was pushing 250 by the time the Stipe fight happened, and HW doesn't usually require cutting anyway.

The point I'm raising is: is the diminishing returns of weight cutting over blown? Is the real difference just people cutting weight properly vs improperly?
there is no lightweight that cuts down from 190 on fight week. its humanly impossible. most lightweights cut 15-25 LBS at most. and now there is a rule that you cannot bulk up after a certain point after the weigh in. basically all lightweights are 170 atm.

ppl cutting down from 190 days are over since the IV ban.

there is no lightweight that cuts down from 190 on fight week. its humanly impossible. most lightweights cut 15-25 LBS at most. and now there is a rule that you cannot bulk up after a certain point after the weigh in. basically all lightweights are 170 atm.

By natural weight I mean not in camp regular walk around weight. It's common knowledge fighters like Khabib and RDA before he went up were 190+. True they didn't cut from 190 but they dieted down closer to 155 before cutting. I believe RDA said he cut from 170, after dropping 20 lbs during camp. Then of course there was Tibau. God knows what he weighed between camps.

It just seems like certain fighters can cut huge amounts of weight without sacrificing performance, and others (James Vick, etc) look like shit.

It raises the question of if weight cutting is all that bad if done correctly. That could mean the problem isn't cutting weight, but how you cut weight.

By natural weight I mean not in camp regular walk around weight. It's common knowledge fighters like Khabib and RDA before he went up were 190+. True they didn't cut from 190 but they dieted down closer to 155 before cutting. I believe RDA said he cut from 170, after dropping 20 lbs during camp. Then of course there was Tibau. God knows what he weighed between camps.

It just seems like certain fighters can cut huge amounts of weight without sacrificing performance, and others (James Vick, etc) look like shit.

It raises the question of if weight cutting is all that bad if done correctly. That could mean the problem isn't cutting weight, but how you cut weight.
cutting 15 pounds isnt that bad. there is a 10% rule atm. if you bulk up more than 10% youre forced to move up. im not sure if its only in Cali or Nevada but i think khabib is also cutting only from 170 atm which is why hes not missing weight anymore.

Yeah but there's a distinction between being out of shape with your walking weight and being in shape. Khabib and his manager have both claimed Khabib walks close to 200 lbs. There's no way in hell he's in shape if he does push 198 LBS on a scale. Look at him during the weigh ins; That's not the body of a muscular guy who cuts down to 155.

no got friends who r 192 n fight 155 cut down t 175 week of then water cut last 19

Back