First bagwork video in a long time

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I had to train by myself today cuz my instructor doesn’t work at the gym today.

so here’s what I was trying to work on in this bagwork video, snapping my punches and bringing them back as fast as possible. The guy filming is one of the instructors in the gym.

here it is. Ik I’m really terrible on the bag some of y’all might say stop being so close to the bag and shit like that. But I’m trying to get rid of that habit. And I’m trying to get into the habit of bringing my hands back as fast as possible while also snapping my punches.

But I’m trying to get rid of that habit.

As a coach I wouldnt let you near a heavy bag for at least 2-3 months. Thats why I asked in the other thread about moving gyms. Your last coach sounded perfect for you.

Footwork, single punch mechanics without contact, light partner drills without gloves shadow boxing, lots of rope jumping ...repeat

Everything with power brings out all your bad habits and fucks up your progress.

If you cant live without bagwork go for double end or maize.

As a coach I wouldnt let you near a heavy bag for at least 2-3 months. Thats why I asked in the other thread about moving gyms. Your last coach sounded perfect for you.

Footwork, single punch mechanics without contact, light partner drills without gloves shadow boxing, lots of rope jumping ...repeat

Everything with power brings out all your bad habits and fucks up your progress.

If you cant live without bagwork go for double end or maize.

i hit the double end bag too. But the heavy bag is not rocket science. I use to be able to hit the bag better a few years ago but now I’m starting from rock bottom

i hit the double end bag too. But the heavy bag is not rocket science. I use to be able to hit the bag better a few years ago but now I’m starting from rock bottom

The heavy bag is rocket science when you're doing it properly.

Keep working at it buddy, and stay in the gym, this is an improvement for you

The heavy bag is rocket science when you're doing it properly.

Keep working at it buddy, and stay in the gym, this is an improvement for you

thanks man I will. I should get better at the heavy bag as I keep hitting the heavy bag.

But the heavy bag is not rocket science.. I use to be able to hit the bag better a few years ago but now I’m starting from rock bottom

Heavy bag is more difficult to use properly than every other tool in boxing especially when someone doesnt have the basics down.
And not to talk down on you really, but you never had decent bagwork. Its a start from "rock bottom" because thats were you always have been until now.

But you are with a coach now. Thats progress and you look better than the last video I have seen. Its a start. ;)

Last edited:
why is your goal snapping your punches back. at the very least that should be a secondary goal. you should be focused on big picture which is distance manangement, postioning , and lastly technique although really all three should blend together and feed into each other but unfortunately not many coaches know how to do that.

the reason why those three are the main goals? is because in hat order they will have you capable of boxing.
that's why things like footwork drills with partners, partnered shadow boxing, and basic footwork instruction is key for the first 3 at least.
and remain key throughout. you never progress past their because that is hat fighting is composed of. if you re focusing only on snapping punches .. it's like taking a day just for curls.. it's fluff

Heavy bag is more difficult to use properly than every other tool in boxing especially when someone doesnt have the basics down.
And not to talk down on you really, but you never had decent bagwork. Its a start from "rock bottom" because thats were you always have been until now.

But you are with a coach now. Thats progress and you look better than the last video I have seen. Its a start. ;)

ive had good bagwork u just got to look at my previous bagwork video from years ago that I posted on here. But don’t look at the first one I ever posted the iron khan bagwork 5 is prolly my best
why is your goal snapping your punches back. at the very least that should be a secondary goal. you should be focused on big picture which is distance manangement, postioning , and lastly technique although really all three should blend together and feed into each other but unfortunately not many coaches know how to do that.

the reason why those three are the main goals? is because in hat order they will have you capable of boxing.
that's why things like footwork drills with partners, partnered shadow boxing, and basic footwork instruction is key for the first 3 at least.
and remain key throughout. you never progress past their because that is hat fighting is composed of. if you re focusing only on snapping punches .. it's like taking a day just for curls.. it's fluff

Ok I’ll work on that shit.

@ironkhan57 Bro, I know you won't listen yet again, but, please, just once do what comrade @listrahtes proposed - MORE basics. Forget the heavy bag for a while, this type of bags forgiving of many mistakes. Shadowboxing, rope jumping, solo drilling, partner drills and double-end bag are your best friends for now. Footwork, coordination, weight transfer, balance.

@ironkhan57 Bro, I know you won't listen yet again, but, please, just once do what comrade @listrahtes proposed - MORE basics. Forget the heavy bag for a while, this type of bags forgiving of many mistakes. Shadowboxing, rope jumping, solo drilling, partner drills and double-end bag are your best friends for now. Footwork, coordination, weight transfer, balance.

but the double end bag is harder then the heavy bag so why would I take the double end bag over the heavy bag?

Because heavy bag will forgive a lot of your mistakes, and double-end won't. IMHO, double-end is the best gear in boxer's arsenal.

I do hit the double end bag bro. I don’t just hit the heavy bag

I'm reminded of an old interview with Rose Namajunas and Trevor Wittman. Back when Rose first started working with him, she had no fundamentals and couldn't put 2 punches together without crossing her feet or tripping over herself. Wittman made her do nothing except hundreds of jabs every day for months until he was happy, then moved through everything one step at a time until all her fundamentals were good.

khan's gonna need a complete restart to break all of his bad habits. As in learn how to stand in a proper stance, learn how to step & move, then learn how to jab. And he's gonna need lots of reps & time to burn in all the skills the right way.

I'm reminded of an old interview with Rose Namajunas and Trevor Wittman. Back when Rose first started working with him, she had no fundamentals and couldn't put 2 punches together without crossing her feet or tripping over herself. Wittman made her do nothing except hundreds of jabs every day for months until he was happy, then moved through everything one step at a time until all her fundamentals were good.

khan's gonna need a complete restart to break all of his bad habits. As in learn how to stand in a proper stance, learn how to step & move, then learn how to jab. And he's gonna need lots of reps & time to burn in all the skills the right way.

I’m going to do whatever my instructor wants me to do. If he wants me to hit the bag I’ll hit the bag he mostly does padwork for me

Some constructive criticism:

Your jab looks a bit stiff. Try to snap it back quicker. You kind of let it hang for a bit after throwing it.

Tighten up your cross a bit. You look pretty open when throwing it.

Were you just working power shots that round? Don’t be afraid to go lighter and focus more on technique. Not every shot has to be a shot you’re trying to smash the bag with (I know it can feel satisfying though).

Also I ask if you were only focusing on power shots that round because you were a bit stationary. Footwork, distancing, and creating openings are more important than trying to land a heavy shot. Try to imagine that the bag you’re hitting is also trying to hit you back at any time.

When I do bag work we usually spend our first round just doing footwork with it, feinting, working on getting in and out, and rolling/weaving to side with an occasional strike or two thrown in. After that I work speed and technique, then power, then focus on endurance and finishing strong.

Some constructive criticism:

Your jab looks a bit stiff. Try to snap it back quicker. You kind of let it hang for a bit after throwing it.

Tighten up your cross a bit. You look pretty open when throwing it.

Were you just working power shots that round? Don’t be afraid to go lighter and focus more on technique. Not every shot has to be a shot you’re trying to smash the bag with (I know it can feel satisfying though).

Also I ask if you were only focusing on power shots that round because you were a bit stationary. Footwork, distancing, and creating openings are more important than trying to land a heavy shot. Try to imagine that the bag you’re hitting is also trying to hit you back at any time.

When I do bag work we usually spend our first round just doing footwork with it, feinting, working on getting in and out, and rolling/weaving to side with an occasional strike or two thrown in. After that I work speed and technique, then power, then focus on endurance and finishing strong.

ill work on that shit. And no I was trying to focus on snapping my punches idk why it feels hard to snap a punch. And what did u mean that my right hand seems open?

ill work on that shit. And no I was trying to focus on snapping my punches idk why it feels hard to snap a punch. And what did u mean that my right hand seems open?

just briefly watching the first couple of crosses you threw again it almost comes at an arc. It wouldn’t be to hard for someone to beat you down the middle if they knew it was coming. You tend to drop your left when throwing it as well.

just briefly watching the first couple of crosses you threw again it almost comes at an arc. It wouldn’t be to hard for someone to beat you down the middle if they knew it was coming. You tend to drop your left when throwing it as well.

ya I got to work on that shit I don’t want to get knocked out.

Snapping punches is all about hip rotation and keeping your hands loose until right before impact. You are turning your hips, but you're not making a concerted effort to pop them, and that's what you need to do. Everyone talks about a punch like it's one single movement, everything moving at once. What they mean is that it's a coordinated movement that starts from the feet, and creates a kinetic chain all the way through the end of your fist. Pop your hip first, and then let everything else lag behind a bit. By the time I actually get my shoulder and chest involved in the movement of a hook, for example, my hip is already fully turned-over, and the momentum is just lagging behind as it gets transferred up my body.

Not sure if that's a good, clear explanation.

Given how she fought vs Carla Esparza, I can believe that too. She could do these wildy crazy attacks but didn't have the fundamentals there.

A bit like Max Holloway early in his UFC career tbh, great combination punches, but would go into stupid brawls

Back