First Time On The Heavy Bag - Tips? (Can't seem to snap my hips with my left, and not getting the sn

PCP319

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score

Going to try to get into a boxing gym next week, but for now, trying to get better. Any advice?

Pretty good work to be honest.

For your left hand you want your knee, hip and shoulder to move as one. So as you pivot on your rear foot, you bring the knee to face the target and at the same time you bring your shoulder into the target for the punch:

Watch here and you'll get what I mean

Also, you do a good job at getting your shoulder protecting your jaw as you punch, but your hand on the other side tends to drop, if you keep that a little higher you should be fully protected - real good job tho, most beginners dont have any of that sorta stuff down

Pretty good work to be honest.

For your left hand you want your knee, hip and shoulder to move as one. So as you pivot on your rear foot, you bring the knee to face the target and at the same time you bring your shoulder into the target for the punch:

Watch here and you'll get what I mean

Also, you do a good job at getting your shoulder protecting your jaw as you punch, but your hand on the other side tends to drop, if you keep that a little higher you should be fully protected - real good job tho, most beginners dont have any of that sorta stuff down

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! Now that you mention it, definitely see my hands are down. I'm a shorter HW (5'11"), so assuming around eyebrow level is good?

You're reaching a bit much, if the bag wasn't there you'd be off balanced

Use your feet to get close rather than trying to "stretch". As you have your weight is too much forward while reaching, not a good mix. Your weight should be forward, you have that, but your body should be balanced and more upright. Right now it looks like you're trying to dive to contact. It's a common flaw we all start out with trying to have impact. Think of just trying to just touch the bag, like you're playing tag and playing around and just trying to tap effortlessly, then lay in the heavier strikes as you get in

As lame as it sounds, like a tiger playing with a deer

Going to try to get into a boxing gym next week, but for now, trying to get better. Any advice?

As @j123 said, you need to step a little bit closer to your target, so not to transfer so much weight on the lead foot. It is a very old technique variant, you better keep you weight more balanced, in-between your legs.

Don't do it this way:
img-vN_JO9.jpg

Better keep it like that:
65efa61d.jpg

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! Now that you mention it, definitely see my hands are down. I'm a shorter HW (5'11"), so assuming around eyebrow level is good?

Yup, eyebrow level is good. Your defence with your punching arm is solid though

You're reaching a bit much, if the bag wasn't there you'd be off balanced

Use your feet to get close rather than trying to "stretch". As you have your weight is too much forward while reaching, not a good mix. Your weight should be forward, you have that, but your body should be balanced and more upright. Right now it looks like you're trying to dive to contact. It's a common flaw we all start out with trying to have impact. Think of just trying to just touch the bag, like you're playing tag and playing around and just trying to tap effortlessly, then lay in the heavier strikes as you get in

As lame as it sounds, like a tiger playing with a deer
As absolutely dumb as this is going to sound, any tips for not reaching without stepping in on combos? If I'm at proper range for a jab, for example, the only way I can throw a cross is to step in. Yet, when I see others do combos, they often don't even bother. Do you guys crowd the bag and lose just a bit of range on the jab so that your crosses are always a viable option?

As absolutely dumb as this is going to sound, any tips for not reaching without stepping in on combos? If I'm at proper range for a jab, for example, the only way I can throw a cross is to step in. Yet, when I see others do combos, they often don't even bother. Do you guys crowd the bag and lose just a bit of range on the jab so that your crosses are always a viable option?
Yes and don't be afraid to move your feet in between punches only if it's just a little.

So you're a southpaw. Keep in your feet in southpaw stance, keep your back straight, don't lean at all, but turn your upper body into orthodox position, then extend your arm out into a punch.

THAT is where your southpaw left hand ends, if you keep your back straight for the sake of the exercise you won't lean - that is the maximum reach that you can attain from your left hand. Do that exercise regularly - and then practise throwing your left hand, without stepping forward, and turning your upper body fully into the opposite stance. That should get you used to your reach and also get you proper leverage for your punch.

Another exercise that can help is aiming your left hand at your jab. Your brain always knows where your body parts are in relation to each other - that's why if you close your eyes you can still clap your hands. So when you throw your jab, throw your left hand AT your fully extended jab, but pull your jabbing arm back like normal, and you will hit the exact same spot that your jab landed on every time

The cross has a longer range than the jab if you rotate properly.

Everything will be explained to you at the gym. Don't train by yourself in the meantime or you'll pick up bad habits.

Everything will be explained to you at the gym. Don't train by yourself in the meantime or you'll pick up bad habits.
Just hard finding a decent gym. Just moved near Tampa, so always open for suggestions. The one gym I know about seems like just pure boxercise.

Just hard finding a decent gym. Just moved near Tampa, so always open for suggestions. The one gym I know about seems like just pure boxercise.

American Top Team have a base in Tampa!

shadow box. Keep footwork and stance in mind, your feet (lead to rear) should have the same length when you're moving, striking, angling. If you're striking and you start to "lunge", you have to readdress. Its a common issue actually, I had it too for awhile. Remember the back foot has to match what the lead is stepping.

I would do some drills where you keep your lead hand out like a measuring stick (picture like a stiff arm) and practice movement (in, out, side to side, maybe angles if youre good for it) and if you feel you're over compensating your feet by reaching with your arm, then thats when you know what you're working with

for throwing a cross from stance, you step into range with your jab. You should at the minimum be outside of your opponent's range by a forearm, and neither of you can hit each other stationary, and need the step in to contact. So if you cant reach with your cross (which how it should be), you'd step in with a jab and then the cross.

If I crowd the bag its usually when I want to work with clinching or fighting in the pocket in some way

American Top Team have a base in Tampa!
Aren't they strictly MMA? Unfortunately, osteoarthritis in my knees prevents me from rolling, and blood clots in my calves prevent me from being kicked (could dislodge a clot and get a pulmonary embolism), so gotta stick strictly to boxing.

Aren't they strictly MMA? Unfortunately, osteoarthritis in my knees prevents me from rolling, and blood clots in my calves prevent me from being kicked (could dislodge a clot and get a pulmonary embolism), so gotta stick strictly to boxing.
MMA gyms have boxing, muay thai, wrestling and BJJ classes. You can choose to only attend the boxing classes.

I always step in to throw the right. Not enough follow through otherwise. Also relax the shoulder on your cross, your losing a bit of weight transferal and therefore power. Hands up chin down, but don't shrug your shoulders (some instructors say otherwise)

Not sure if serious. Cross has a longer range than the jab??? Bet you have a weak right hand.
A good punch for me travels six inches to the target and two feet through it.

Not sure if serious. Cross has a longer range than the jab??? Bet you have a weak right hand.
A good punch for me travels six inches to the target and two feet through it.
You're not making any sense, as usual. Sober up.

MMA gyms have boxing, muay thai, wrestling and BJJ classes. You can choose to only attend the boxing classes.
Unfortunately, doesn't look like the Tampa branch offers it. Familiar with Tampa City Boxing at all? Just looking for a "real" boxing gym.

Back